Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the flooding, it is most unfortunate. But I recall a similar event in 2011, and these events happen every 5 years but it seems that most people in those low lying areas simply rebuild at base elevation.

Have the flood maps been updated from 2011 and did anybody heed the warnings? Did anybody rebuild higher instead of at base elevation?

If you look at Louisiana, after hurricane Katrina, not only were the levees rebuild stronger, but the homes are all on stilts. It seems that they learned.

Great wall:
$8 Billion "Great Wall of Louisiana" Now Complete - SkyscraperCity

Homes on stilts:
Vote for Make It Right and Energy-Efficient Homes for New Orleans Make It Right Foundation Houses

This is not meant to be a knock but I'm just trying to understand why people in the Midwest keep going through flooding and they still rebuild the same way in low lying areas.

Shouldn't the people in Missouri and other midwestern states come down to Louisiana and learn what they did after Hurricane Katrina so they can prevent flooding in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:03 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Or NOT rebuild at all!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Or NOT rebuild at all!
Well a lot of that area is productive farmland, there will have to be some people living there (i.e. farmers). But I suggest that they rebuild their homes on stilts.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
dunno on the Mississippi, but people who build on the Missouri around where I live either elevate their structures or just accept that they'll get flooded out sometimes. I looked into buying such a structure (a business) a decade ago but decided the hassle wasn't worth it.

Flooding is part of the natural progression of life there; mankind, mostly in the form of the Corps of Engineers, tinkers with it, primarily for farmers along the banks and for the minuscule amount of barge commerce on the Missouri, but the river always wins in the end...and meanwhile they've pretty much ruined the lower Missouri for recreation. Well, them and the Asian carp. The PITA/reward balance of putting any kind of boat in the Missouri just skews too far to the PITA...which semi-breaks my heart because I love boating, in both powerboats and kayaks.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 10,124,301 times
I think that if you rebuild in the flood plain, which we know WILL flood again, you should be denied insurance.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
The vast majority of homes flooding are not flooding from the river. They are flooding because the waste water treatment plants that serve their home are flooding and backing up through the sewer systems into their homes. You could be 100' out of the flood plain and still be flooded when the sewer pump serving your region gets flooded.
The waste water treatment plants need to be near the river, but there is work underway to build a massive network of tunnels 200' underground to channel flood inundation out of the sewer system so the water does not shoot up into homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri