Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, send some rain my way, please! All the nutjobs are on the loose, and they are having a party, serving Molotov(?)cocktails. Sure dont like the way this summer is shaping up, we are dry as a bone down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,883,376 times
I wish we could send some your way. We are setting all time records this year with the total rainfall amounts. We got another 2" in places this Thursday.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM

870 posts, read 3,070,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hey y'all, send some rain my way, please! All the nutjobs are on the loose, and they are having a party, serving Molotov(?)cocktails. Sure dont like the way this summer is shaping up, we are dry as a bone down here.
Doing my rain dance for ya! http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/12.gif (broken link)

Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,524,381 times
Tornado warning for Phelps County. Until 3:15 a.m. Tornado watch for Gasconade Co. until 9:00am. Severe weather alert for Central Missouri.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM

870 posts, read 3,070,574 times
Default Enough already!

We are expected to get some more nasty weather Friday, too!
http://bestsmileys.com/working/10.gif (broken link)

If I don't get my grass mowed today, it'll be a foot high by the weekend!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,883,376 times
We had some good thunderboomers roll thru last night...lots of rain last night and lots of humidity today.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM

2,140 posts, read 4,430,185 times
Unhappy St. Joe Hammered With Hurricane-Force Gusts

On Sunday afternoon, 6/8 I checked out weather.com and wunderground.com for St. Joseph, and was horrified to see that not only were there more thunderstorms, but sustained winds of 48 mph and wind gusts of up to 76 mph! That's Category 1 hurricane strength.

The hardy souls there were just about fully recovered from last December's ice storm, spending the next several months collecting and removing broken tree limbs. And now this. To those of you who remember poster StJoeFanatic, she and her hubby are OK if a bit shaken by all of it (I wrote her a private e-mail and she wrote back earlier this morning), and their new house doesn't have any trees nearby so it sustained the 76 mph monster wind gust. I don't know how her old house or other places in town fared yet. The house we are eyeballing is on a historic street and was built in 1914; it got through the ice storm fine, but I'll have to find out if any tree limbs fell on the roof with this latest violent weather. My goodness.

A lot of western MO got hit from this latest front. Praying once again that everyone back there is OK! Meanwhile, year 2 of California's drought is unfolding. We're all sitting ducks for huge wildfires between now and October.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,638,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
On Sunday afternoon, 6/8 I checked out weather.com and wunderground.com for St. Joseph, and was horrified to see that not only were there more thunderstorms, but sustained winds of 48 mph and wind gusts of up to 76 mph! That's Category 1 hurricane strength.

The hardy souls there were just about fully recovered from last December's ice storm, spending the next several months collecting and removing broken tree limbs. And now this. To those of you who remember poster StJoeFanatic, she and her hubby are OK if a bit shaken by all of it (I wrote her a private e-mail and she wrote back earlier this morning), and their new house doesn't have any trees nearby so it sustained the 76 mph monster wind gust. I don't know how her old house or other places in town fared yet. The house we are eyeballing is on a historic street and was built in 1914; it got through the ice storm fine, but I'll have to find out if any tree limbs fell on the roof with this latest violent weather. My goodness.

A lot of western MO got hit from this latest front. Praying once again that everyone back there is OK! Meanwhile, year 2 of California's drought is unfolding. We're all sitting ducks for huge wildfires between now and October.
Your post reminds me that wherever we live, there are dangers, Eric. God's grace is what many of us rely on to get us through...whether we "take a hit" or find ourselves breathing a sigh of relief because these things "miss us". I'm learning that if I lean on anything other than Him, I am likely to find myself with a whole lot of air under me. Ouch!

I'm sure glad to hear about StJoeFanatic and her hubby. I hope she will come back and visit us here in the forum or at an OTFCC gathering someday.

We'll all need to add the potential CA drought/fire to our prayer list. Having been there, done that, I can sure relate! Meanwhile, we've got a gnarly storm that's already gone through the KC area and is breathin' down our necks again this afternoon. There are the usual severe thunderstorm and flash flooding watches, too. My, my...what a weather year we're havin'! Did you hear that Marshfield had NINE INCHES OF RAIN the other day??? YIKES! IN ONE DAY! I bet it felt like someone was just pouring buckets of water over their heads!

If we could, we'd sure send some over to you in CA and the other areas of the country experiencing drought. I'm sure there are people in IOWA that would agree. Hang in there, buddy!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We went 60 straight days without rain, thank God we started getting some last week!
Darlynn, thanks for the rain dance!
I have been watching what is going on in Iowa with great unease, it really reminds me of the Flood of '93. I havent been able to get much info on what they are expecting in STL and points south on the river, anyone know anything?

Old 06-15-2008, 10:16 PM

2,140 posts, read 4,430,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Your post reminds me that wherever we live, there are dangers, Eric. God's grace is what many of us rely on to get us through...whether we "take a hit" or find ourselves breathing a sigh of relief because these things "miss us". I'm learning that if I lean on anything other than Him, I am likely to find myself with a whole lot of air under me. Ouch!
Couldn't've said it better! Neighbor helping neighbor, driven forward by God and His Holy Spirit, helps us cope and recover a lot better than the federal or state government, which can help but only up to a point.

Quote:
I'm sure glad to hear about StJoeFanatic and her hubby. I hope she will come back and visit us here in the forum or at an OTFCC gathering someday.
StJoeFanatic is actually back in one of these Missouri threads! To date I have still not had the chance to meet this special woman and her husband, as my wife and I were busy seeing St. Joseph's attractions, looking at some houses, and driving to the Amish town of Jamesport, MO during our trip last March. Check out the thread, and I may very well decide I'll need to bring back the "Special Request from Northbayeric" thread which must be buried way, way back in these forums! I'll explain in that thread and/or in the Chatter Box II thread so I don't get off topic here. Let's just say there is an exciting job possibility in Blue Springs, just east of KC, and leave it at that for now.

Quote:
We'll all need to add the potential CA drought/fire to our prayer list. Having been there, done that, I can sure relate! Meanwhile, we've got a gnarly storm that's already gone through the KC area and is breathin' down our necks again this afternoon. There are the usual severe thunderstorm and flash flooding watches, too. My, my...what a weather year we're havin'! Did you hear that Marshfield had NINE INCHES OF RAIN the other day??? YIKES! IN ONE DAY! I bet it felt like someone was just pouring buckets of water over their heads!
There is a small town in western Sonoma County, CA not that far from Santa Rosa called Cazadero, situated in a narrow canyon. It can sometimes get as much as 9 inches of rain in one day (but no lightning or thunder), and it averages about 70 to 75 inches of rain per year, chiefly between October and April. This year, God just turned off His heavenly water faucet here almost entirely since late February. We've had the driest March-April-May three-month period in recorded history. Less than 0.75 inch of rain since March 1. There's a big fire near Santa Cruz, and another fire in or near the town of Paradise, which is between Sacramento and Redding. Here my wife and I have had to water the front and back every 2 to 3 days. The relative humidity fell to 9 percent last Thursday afternoon! That is as dry as Phoenix and Death Valley during the summer. I cannot believe the contrast between our weather and what it's been doing back in Iowa and Missouri. We need to establish a very busy two-way prayer street and lift everyone up for divine assistance, and thank God in a loud voice for everything we still have.

Last edited by northbayeric; 06-15-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: SJF is back in a MO thread, not a KC thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri