U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,760,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
Finally go the generator going. Lost power about 11:30 last night. So now I can at least get back on line and check the news on the tv.

Hope everyone is safe and able to cope if you are out of power. Hope to see you back online soon.
Took a few pics of the ice here this morning and as soon as I get them into the computer from the camera I will try and post a couple.
hope you are warm, mamagator, judging from the fact that not many mo forum folks are posting, I bet there are quite a few without power. I just got back from the gas station myself, made sure we had plenty for our generator, we are getting the nasty tail end of that storm now, look forward to seeing the pix!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM

774 posts, read 904,509 times
yes I can stay warm. Have a wood stove.
Power came back on about 10 minutes ago. It was great being able to turn off that generator.. it sure was a noisy beast.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,924,920 times
Glad to hear that you have power again, mamagator!!!I remember years ago, losing power and cooking soup on wood stove, doing everything by candlelight. My sons and I played cards and board games all evening. Hubby was working nights in St. Louis then and I told him to just get a motel room. Almost sorry when power came back on. It sure was an experience. No generator here. Actually, our power is off less times than when we lived in the city. We have co-op here and they really take good care of us. Ahhhh, electricity. Glad we have it. Couldn't be here to say hi to our CD friends.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,529,449 times

it's been that kinda day around these parts!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM

526 posts, read 844,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post

it's been that kinda day around these parts!
That looks like something I'd do, or should say, have done........

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,384,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
18 degrees and dropping. Ice on roads everywhere. Fire in fireplace. Ready to just snuggle up in recliners and relax and maybe even watch an old movie. Be safe out there.
Thanks for the warning, Voyager...dunno if it would have helped me last night. Our power went out about 5 minutes before 8pm, not long after you posted. We figured it'd come back on soon but it didn't. It was about 3:30pm or so today when it finally did. Read on for more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
hope you are warm, mamagator, judging from the fact that not many mo forum folks are posting, I bet there are quite a few without power. I just got back from the gas station myself, made sure we had plenty for our generator, we are getting the nasty tail end of that storm now, look forward to seeing the pix!
Hope you're alright, kshe! Once we saw the news, it looked like Florida got quite a whoopin', too!

A generator! What a great idea! ...sure wish we had one o' those last night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
yes I can stay warm. Have a wood stove.
Power came back on about 10 minutes ago. It was great being able to turn off that generator.. it sure was a noisy beast.
Well, now, a wood stove is another great idea, mamagator! Sure wish we had one o' them, too! Sheesh! No power, no heat, no generator, no wood stove...what were we thinkin'???!!!

Durn city slickers!!! Well, I can tell YOU...da times dey are a'changin!!! My dh said there's nuttin' like goin' thru a power outtage to teach you what it's like. I think the worst thing we all do is think it won't happen to us because then we aren't prepared. Well, guess what? There's water in our washin' machine and bathtub tonight...cause those jugs o' water jes' didn't go fer enuff, las' night...and them extra ones we been keepin' in the shed were froze' solid! Hahahaaaa!

An' did ya'll know that the cold can affect a generator on an RV??? Who knew??? Seems like it was one thing after another! We even realized too late that we was nearly out of bread and milk! Well, you know what they say! Live 'n' learn! Yep! That's what they say! An' now, we say it, too!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 AM

well, everything is ok here, weather radio kept going off, we had tornados to the east of us, made for a rather sleepless night......am loading up for coffee before work, thank goodness I wont put in a full day today, hope all that ice up there isnt knocking down everyones trees, will see everybody this evening!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM

774 posts, read 904,509 times
Mrs. G. you are a hoot! Filling the bathtub with water is always a good idea for extra water when a storm is coming. You never know when you might have to flush the commode!
We actually have 3 generators but the quiet running Honda wouldn't start, only backfired. Another has a dead battery. But we did get the noisy Titan industrial to run. We were lucky though. Only without power from 11:30pm to 5:00pm.
But we are out of Milk! And DaHubby drinks tons of it, so he borrowed some from the neighbor.
Going into town today for sure. The main roads around Ava are clear so we shouldn't have a problem. Might have to move a few tree limbs on our road though.
I unplugged my coffee pot yesterday while the generator was running so it wouldn't draw to much power (it's a Bunn and has to stay plugged in so the water in the reservoir stays hot). Well I forgot to plug it back in, so this morning I had to run 4 pots of water through it before the water was hot enough to make coffee. When I wake up I want my coffee NOW! lol

Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Default a harbinger of spring for the Mo folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
our redbuds are blooming, does that count? sorry just couldnt help myself, it was always a moment I looked forward to in Mo......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Nope, doesn't count, only Missouri Dogwoods and Redbuds need apply.

You're just rubbing it in aren't ya! My backyard thermometer is at a whooping +10F this AM.
Thought I would share this with y'all, yours wont be far behind!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,924,920 times
Gee, thanks a lot kshe Just what I needed. Looks darn good to me. Can hardly wait for spring to pop up around here. Quiet day around here after all of the ice. 32 deg. right now and no wind. Pretty blue sky almost all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri