U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,929,528 times
-nodding in agreement with Northwoods wisdom- dont spoil my slice of paradise!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM

938 posts, read 2,174,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post

I say, leave it alone, please. Do not make it a tourist trap. Please. Then all will be lost. It will be over run by some who will never appreciate just what we are caretakers of. Don't mean to ramble, however, this state is so special. Others are also, but this is home.
I agree 100%...I hope that area stays the way it is now forever! Its too beautiful to be turned into some giant tourist trap. The best things about the area are how rural, isolated, and really untouched it feels. The Jack's Fork and Current Rivers are amazing, I grew up floating them and have a lot of very fond memories from times spent swimming and camping on gravel bars....and I make more every time I go back to visit!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I agree 100%...I hope that area stays the way it is now forever! Its too beautiful to be turned into some giant tourist trap. The best things about the area are how rural, isolated, and really untouched it feels. The Jack's Fork and Current Rivers are amazing, I grew up floating them and have a lot of very fond memories from times spent swimming and camping on gravel bars....and I make more every time I go back to visit!
Me, too! Its just the most amazing place, I have floated perhaps 30 times over the space of 30-ish years? Some years more than once, and some years, sadly, not at all.
I live right next door to Silver Springs here in Florida, and while it is beautiful, it cant hold a candle to the incomparable Jacks Fork/Eminance/Current River in terms of natural beauty. I miss being home sooooooo much!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,677,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
A few years ago on Earth Day, we took our oldest son and his wife through Eminence to Blue Springs. I had found some land for sale that had a cave on it and the real estate agent gave me a key to explore the site. The hills, springs, just everything was breathtakingly beautiful. We explored for hours then went to town for lunch and yes, friendliness was everywhere. My part of Missouri is perfect for us. Hills, lakes, rivers, creeks. Friendly people also. Different tho'. But in a good way.

As far as any region being 'poor', so what? If the residents have found their Shangri La, then so be it. Money is not everything. We are on this earth for too short of a time to believe that happiness can only be found by having a large bank balance. Other things do matter. Being poor is no disgrace. Being ignorant, unthankful, slovenly, and mean is another story. But the two do not necessarily go hand in hand. I bring this up, because I have heard way too many people express their negative opinions about the lack of something or other in places off of the beaten path.

I say, leave it alone, please. Do not make it a tourist trap. Please. Then all will be lost. It will be over run by some who will never appreciate just what we are caretakers of. Don't mean to ramble, however, this state is so special. Others are also, but this is home.
You get a rep point from me Northwoods Voyager That area has some of the best scenery in MO without a doubt I also agree with others and hope it does stay rural.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
thats one of my favorite floats! I am taking DD there in august to float, now that she is 16, and a certified lifeguard, I figure its safe!
Inoxkeeper, could you please take some pix, and post them in the pix thread????? I always thought that the scenery there was akin to an Impressionist painting.........
I will be taking lots of pix...the trip isn't until the end of April so bear with me and I will try to get some good ones for ya'll.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM

14,965 posts, read 19,677,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I will be taking lots of pix...the trip isn't until the end of April so bear with me and I will try to get some good ones for ya'll.
We will be looking forward to the great pictures of Shannon County

Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,546,235 times
Can hardly wait to see your pictures Inoxkeeper. Love the area. Hmmm, maybe I should look for my pictures from long ago. Before digital and not on the computer.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,465 times
They haven't been letting people on the rivers because of all the flooding the rain has been causing so make sure to do your homework before you come on over. It would be a shame to waste a float trip. Also a lot of roads have been washed away as well. Hwy 106 is closed if anyone is planning a visit to Alley Springs.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,465 times
jrw2 I am looking for a place to buy. We are staying out on D highway and its just not working out anymore. I would love more info on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri