Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 AM

45 posts, read 130,252 times

Advertisements

Hi, All...

Well, it's now just a week left for US before we hit the road to our new home in your neck of the woods, too! The road trip itself is going to be fun! I haven't driven such a distance in probably 20 years or more. My wife has never been out of Oregon so, for her, it's like going to another country!

So, let me ask you...are there courses at the local college on how to speak Missourian? "I tell you wat, y'all, itll shure be sumthin!" (hard to get an accent to show on the keyboard!)

We'll be heading out next Thursday or early Friday morning! Whoo Hoo!!

See you soon.

Gene and Dianne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,270 times
Default MO Lingo

Hi Gene and Diane,

Whoo hoo, road trip! Sure that the Missourian's on this thread can tell you about the lingo...only know that Lebanon, MO is pronounced Lebanin, and it's "you'ins," instead of "y'all." Hope your travel is problem-free, with good weather, no traffic, and clean restrooms . Would love to hear about your trip, and best of luck in your new digs! Tambre

Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM

321 posts, read 920,439 times
Good luck Gene & Dianne!

We'll be hitting the road too this Sunday heading to our house in Warrensburg!! Road trip from Mass with a toddler and dog in tow - should be interesting! I'll know all the words to "Finding Nemo" by the time I arrive! LOL

Safe travels to you!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Default Your new Missouri home

Hi WKTully and Comeasyouare,

Guess you are both relocated by now Would love to hear how things are going regarding assimilating to your new environments, what your moving experiences were like, and what is your favorite aspect of your new Missouri home. We are still stuck in NY, but getting closer to making a move each day. Any advice or interesting information about your journeys? Of course, best of luck in your new homes, and congratulations! Tambre

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM

870 posts, read 3,080,878 times
Default Yes, do tell!

We are waiting patiently for an update!

Hope all is well!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM

321 posts, read 920,439 times
Hey all,

Well, we made it - and we've been living in Warrensburg for about 30 days now. This journey from Mass was extremely long and exhausting but otherwise uneventful. Now that we are here and living in MO I have to say one thing first THERE ARE ALOT OF BUGS HERE!!!!! I had no idea the bugs were so thick in this part of the country. I can't even sit outside on my patio at night for fear of being carried away by the plethra of bugs - giant pinching beetles, buzzling flying things, mosquitoes. The ticks are really bad too...maybe it's just because we're in the country. Plenty of bugs inside the house too. I'll have to say I don't like that part at all. Now...onto everything else Our 10 acre property is really beautiful - lots of big mature trees and grassland. I haven't actually walked the entire property yet because I don't have the proper footwear (boots) to avoid the creepy crawlies that live in the tall grass. We live about 5 miles outside town so it's very quiet and peaceful - I think I see 3 cars a day here - nice! Our Mennonite neighbors came over with a plate of home made cinnamon rolls to welcome us - how nice! Then another neighbor came right over and introduced himself - he told us it would be OK to walk on over to Ed Jones' field and pick us some wild asparagus - he reckons Ed won't mind a bit Wild asparagus? Sounds good! Still settling in with plenty of unpacking to do. I'm working from home so it's work a little unpack a little. We've had some major problems with our house - it's an earth contact home and during a big rainstorm we had a gushing water come in the kitchen window - had to rip up half the flooring in the house, several walls and some ceiling......that's when we found the termites....YAY! Then the water heater went. So we've got some big problems to clean up and we're sueing the previous owners for non-disclosure of the leaking problem (even several people in town new about the leaking problems at this property!) But it can all be fixed and we're already working on other home projects to make it our own. When it's all done it's going to be a wonderful home. If it weren't for the great property I would have run screaming from the house. Still trying to get used to the slower pace - I'm very go go go so it's a little frustrating but I'm learning to slow down which is a welcome change. I'm still surprised at the lower costs of many things here compared to New England - a welcome surprise! Certainly enjoying the fresh milk from the dairy up the street and the fresh eggs from my cousin. Current project is finding my son a good daycare. Warrensburg is a nice town - a growing town clearly. Lots of building going on. It's fairly easy to get around the way they have the town laid out. I've discovered the "man of the household" mentality is alive and well here - when discussing things with contractors or our lawn guy they both reckoned I should talk to my husband first before making that decision.........OK now I'm an intelligent independent woman who doesn't need to ask her husband's permission to do things so this was a bit annoying but my husband said it is only a respect thing. He thought it was quite hilarious

All in all I do love the rolling hills, friendliness of folks, slower pace and simpleness (is that a word?) of life here. I desperately miss seafood, NY bagels and that 1'oclock sea breeze that came every afternoon.

It's different from what I'm used to and I'll be honest and say that I've struggled with the change, but I think once it all calms down and the house gets back in order life here in Missouri will be good

Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,738,314 times
Best wishes to you and your new life WKTully! Sounds as though it will eventually become a wonderful place to settle into.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM

870 posts, read 3,080,878 times
Default Oh my!

Well, it sounds like you've had quite a month! We've been talking about how to deal with the bugs on another thread...Depends on how "green" minded you are, as to how to treat them. Someone told me borax around the foundation is harmless to animals and children, but very effective. Also, diatomaceous earth! It can be put directly on pets and is MURDER on ticks! Another thing I do, is skin so soft, from Avon. Skeeters hate it! I haven't tried it, but heard that bees, mosquitos, flies, etc. do not like dryer sheets, and that if you carry one in your pocket, after rubbing it on you a bit, it will keep them away.

Your neighbors sound nice! I was amazed how friendly people are here! It took us a while to get used to the relaxed attitude, as well. I can assure you, it is a welcome change, and now I wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks for the update!!
darlynn

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Default What a long strange trip it's been...

((((WKTully)))),

Congratulations! If you can survive a first month like that, you can survive anything! Hope things are looking up! Would be curious to hear the continuing saga of how things are going. Tambre

Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 10,536 times
Default Did you ever move to MO?

Comeasyouare, two years later I see your profile still says you are in Oregon. Is that a fact? Or has it just not been updated? I came across your posts and as a west coast woman whose husband wants to move to Missouri (amongst other midwestern locales) I was very intrigued as to whether you made the move or at the last minute, backed out.

Hope to hear an update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri