U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,276,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Have a great day Wednesday. Good weather predicted!!! I'll be in Columbia all day with my hubby. Again, have fun.
NV, I'm so jealous!!! I absolutely LOVE Columbia!!! Not necessarily to live, but to visit....Yep, it's awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
We're in Placerville, CA where my husband and I have lived all our lives. I've been "ready" (in my mind at least) to move for years and have had my eye on the West Plains, MO area. I've looked into TN and OK, but keep going back to the Ozarks of MO and Howell County in particular. All our family are here, we own our home, my husband likes his job with a small family owned business he helps run. His boss is a great friend. That being said, we are squeezed tighter and tighter by expenses here in CA, people crowding here from big cities with big city attitudes, traffic, etc. We will never be able to own the land that we have always dreamed about. With the freedom to homeschool in CA being threatened, we are seriously considering that we will need to move. That will be the last straw. I read a post describing West Plains and it sounds just like my town, Placerville. Has anyone ever been to Placerville, CA and West Plains, MO and could offer a comparison? If we moved, we would be able to pay for a house on property with cash. But we would leave all of our family, friends, and a relatively secure job. I wouldn't want to leave here only to just go to what we came from. We desire a more relaxed, friendly, and simple pace. It's still quite nice here, but there are too many hurried people racing around. Do people in the Ozarks walk around on their cell phones all the time - LOL ? Have any of you ever done this - just packed up and went somewhere to start new? It sounds exciting to someone like me who has hardly ever left the county I was born in! Terrifying too. Maybe we should stay here and be thankful to have a job, as long as we can still homeschool here. I'm sorry if these subjects have already been discussed elsewhere and I've missed them, but I would so much love to hear your opinions. I've spent hours and hours looking at data for Howell County but that isn't the same as hearing from actual people. Also, I hope this is an appropriate topic for the chatterbox thread. The people on it are familiar to me from reading cd and maybe can offer more input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
Dahubby and I were sitting outside last night watching the sunset and drinking a few brews (it was nice and warm last night) we were reflecting on our move to Missouri which at the end of this month will be a YEAR. After just picking up and moving to a strange place with no friends or family we know we did the right thing. We love it here and do not regret the move at all.
Missouri is wonderful.
SimpleWife&Mom,

My hubby & I were in a VERY similar situation a few years ago. We did our research like you are doing now, and in Dec. '06, we put our house of 17 years on the market. May of '07 it sold, and on June 6th, we loaded the dog in the car, and headed to MO. No job, No family, No friends, No home, ....No Nuttin'!!! Heck, we'd never even been to MO to visit. LOL Being a native Californian for almost 50 yrs, it was THE most difficult decision I could have ever made. All of my family is in CA, and I'd hardly ever ventured past the border of CA. But, like everyone else, we were fed up with the B.S. in CA, and had to get out while we were still sane & somewhat healthy.

Now, 9 months later, we couldn't be happier!!! And the option of moving back to CA is well, not an option. Like Mamgator says...We know we did the right thing, and don't regret our move at all.

Now do like LJ suggests, and search the threads for info on West Plains. You should find some of the good information you're looking for. And what you don't find, you can post a thread, and hopefully those in the know about West Plains will help you out.

Good luck to you and the family in your quest for a happier, simpler life. And remember, like Darlynn says....you'll always have your friends here at CDF to join you on your journey. I look forword to hearing more from you.

Just waxing,
Boof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 AM

81 posts, read 130,068 times
Default Thanks Northbayeric . . .

Wow, I had no idea Gavin Newsom may run for CA Gov'r. That is frightening. We don't have t.v. so I guess I missed that announcement.

What I like about West Plains is that it sounds like it's not close to any huge towns/cities. We're pretty small here (about 10,000) but Sacramento is only 35-40 miles away or so. And it is steadily creeping up the foothills. Someday it will all be connected. We don't need any of the box stores or large shopping centers. They are nice but we never shop at them. I realize that better jobs are near the big cities, but if we had our home paid for we wouldn't need to make much to live. We live very simply already.

We had a scare with my husband's job last spring and thought about moving then. It's a small company and times are tough here like everywhere. My husband is hesitant to go but I'm ready to leave it all here and head off with him to parts unknown. I'm in prayer and really want to be content wherever my husband has us, but I do hope that turns out to be in the Ozarks!

Please keep us updated on your family's developments as well. It's been great to be able to read this forum and see how friendly people are. It has really made me feel comfortable here because I have never been a part of any forum before, so it was a stretch for me to write. I'm glad I did.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 AM

790 posts, read 1,276,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Wow, I had no idea Gavin Newsom may run for CA Gov'r. That is frightening. We don't have t.v. so I guess I missed that announcement.

What I like about West Plains is that it sounds like it's not close to any huge towns/cities. We're pretty small here (about 10,000) but Sacramento is only 35-40 miles away or so. And it is steadily creeping up the foothills. Someday it will all be connected. We don't need any of the box stores or large shopping centers. They are nice but we never shop at them. I realize that better jobs are near the big cities, but if we had our home paid for we wouldn't need to make much to live. We live very simply already.

We had a scare with my husband's job last spring and thought about moving then. It's a small company and times are tough here like everywhere. My husband is hesitant to go but I'm ready to leave it all here and head off with him to parts unknown. I'm in prayer and really want to be content wherever my husband has us, but I do hope that turns out to be in the Ozarks!

Please keep us updated on your family's developments as well. It's been great to be able to read this forum and see how friendly people are. It has really made me feel comfortable here because I have never been a part of any forum before, so it was a stretch for me to write. I'm glad I did.

We're glad you joined, too. If you're looking for relocation info....City-Data is THE place to go. If it's friendly, helpful people you're lookin' for, just look around.... And if you need to laugh or smile, you've come to the right place. LOL Just find some of our pix, and you'll be laughin' for daaaays!!!!

Whatever the case may be....take your shoes off, relax, jump in and have a good time. Oh, and remember......tell a friend.

Just me,
Boof

Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,100,988 times
Well you all just writing a story in here. I have so much to read. Sound like Boof was in Columbia and didn't even tell me We could have met but NO!!!! Anyways I just wanted to let you all know I am now 17 weeks pregnant and Oh boy I look like I am full term.LOL LOL I had both my 1st and second trimester testing and the come out positive.The baby is healthy so far. I will be getting my big u/s in 13 daysto find out the sex. Yay ME!!!!! So what is everyone up too? Sorry I don't chat much. I have been way busy. Oh yeah I finally done my taxes. Whewww that is a load off now I need to go get a massage soon. Hummmmm!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 PM

870 posts, read 1,972,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Well you all just writing a story in here. I have so much to read. Sound like Boof was in Columbia and didn't even tell me We could have met but NO!!!! Anyways I just wanted to let you all know I am now 17 weeks pregnant and Oh boy I look like I am full term.LOL LOL I had both my 1st and second trimester testing and the come out positive.The baby is healthy so far. I will be getting my big u/s in 13 daysto find out the sex. Yay ME!!!!! So what is everyone up too? Sorry I don't chat much. I have been way busy. Oh yeah I finally done my taxes. Whewww that is a load off now I need to go get a massage soon. Hummmmm!!!
Yay is right!!! We are sooooo glad!! You have a beautiful daughter, are you hoping for a boy? Be sure to let us know! You deserve a massage for doing your own taxes! Take care of yourself!!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:28 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,927,383 times
Good morning everyone. Just checking things out around here. Not too much going on it seems. K-Bear, happy to hear that your pregnancy is going well. Take good care of yourself. Oh, and it was me that was in Columbia Wednesday. Had to take my hubby to the VA hospital for some tests. Will be there again on the 18th and again on the 21st. Feel as if we should move there sometimes. I like Columbia. For me it is just the right size. Not too big yet excellent variety of just about everything.

simplewife&mom...welcome to our little group on the Chatter Box. Boof is so right. Many friendly types around here.

So, how is everyone else doing? Any special plans for the weekend? Won't be long before Spring finally gets here. Need to work outside around here. So much work to do.
Well, see y'all later. Have a good one. Smile, it helps!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 AM

774 posts, read 904,793 times
Good morning everyone and WELCOME to our little paradise on the web simplewife&mom.
Have been loving the weather the last couple days. It has been absolutely beautiful here on my "Crazy Woman Mountain"!!
No big plans this weekend. If it stays nice out I will do some clean up around the yard and try to get it ready to actually plant grass and have a yard this year. Need to get my garden area ready to till up. (Hopefully no planting with a pick and mattox this year!)
May even go ride the horses this weekend. I can't believe after 40 years of not being on a horse I actually rode one the other day. SCARY ! But I did it.
And of course. I have to watch the NASCAR race! That's a given EVERY weekend.
It's nice not having to build a fire to keep warm.

Take care

Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,758,234 times
Default Oregon bound...

Greetings all! I thought I would stop in and say "Hi!".

Glad to hear that everything is going well Karey! Keep up the good work.

I had a fun day yesterday, I planted 75 MDC seedlings down on my farm.
A friend helped me, he and my tractor mounted post hole digger made it a quick project...3 hours from start to finish. We planted Choke Cherries, Brushy Dogwoods, Hazelnuts, Post Oaks, Red Buds and Cedars. They are supposed to provide cover for bunnies and birds.

Below is a pix of pal Jeff bringing the tractor around. I forgot to take pix of us actually planting trees.

I am off to Bend, Oregon to Ski with my son over spring break. I promise to take pix...we are going to visit Multnoma falls while out there. Take care all.
Attached Thumbnails
Chatter Box II-jeff-001.jpg  

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 AM

774 posts, read 904,793 times
Inoxkeeper.. Have a great trip and be safe. Keep upright at all times....

Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 AM

81 posts, read 130,068 times
Thank you for the "welcomes" everyone. Happy to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri