U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 PM

63 posts, read 100,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
In July the largest dog fighting ring in US history was raided by the FBI, the US Marshall's Service, Missouri Highway Patrol, US Dept of Agriculture with assistance from the Missouri Humane Society, et al.

This info (copied from the Oregon Humane Society-OHS) requests any assistance people can give. Many of you already know about this, but every little bit of help or care helps. Since you are so very close, please support with whatever you can: time, training, foster care.

Two four-member OHS teams comprised of volunteers experienced working with abused dogs left Portland on September 8th to assist the Humane Society of Missouri in the daunting task of caring for more than 400 dogs.

The dogs were seized in a multi-state raid by federal and state officers in Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas and Mississippi. The fate of the dogs will be decided by the federal courts in forfeiture proceedings separate from the criminal cases. OHS has no plans for re-homing the dogs in Oregon.

“We are very grateful that these groups have stepped up to help us care for and eventually give some of them a second chance,” said Debbie Hill, vice president of Operations for the Humane Society of Missouri and incident commander for the emergency temporary shelter.

The dogs were seized in July by a joint operation conducted by the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the United States Department of Agriculture’s Office of the Inspector General, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and, the U.S. Marshals Service. Investigators from the Humane Society of Missouri Animal Cruelty Task Force provided the information that led to the investigation.

Donations to offset the cost of caring for the dogs can be sent to the Humane Society of Missouri.

Thank you, Missouri!

I believe that in many cases they have rehomed the dogs, including the pit bulls, and they have made great family pets. Those dogs never wanted to fight in the first place. I read that many of Vick's dogs turned out fine. It is hard to believe that a (human?) being could be so cruel. I tell my husband that just because a person is walking around, with a human facade, he may not really be human at all.
Arundel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM

13,729 posts, read 3,958,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
That's what I like about rural Missouri people, everyone talks to one another. I grew up like that, and then moved to the St. Louis area, and what a dismal change. You can sit in a doctor's office all afternoon, and no one will utter a peep. You can ride up on an elevator, and any person on it too will totally ignore you. I wasn't used to that coldness.

Everyone trys to place your roots. If you give them my married name you get a blank look, but if I give them my own name, they all light up and start talking about my relatives they have known. My family has been here since 1870, so the name is well known.

I am so glad to be back 'home,' among my own kind.
Arundel
So if they don't recognize a name, the reaction is a "blank look". If they do, they light up and start talking?

Sorry, that's no better than the coldness you described on the elevator of the doctor's office in St. Louis.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,199,516 times
Quote:
I believe that in many cases they have rehomed the dogs, including the pit bulls, and they have made great family pets. Those dogs never wanted to fight in the first place. I read that many of Vick's dogs turned out fine. It is hard to believe that a (human?) being could be so cruel. I tell my husband that just because a person is walking around, with a human facade, he may not really be human at all.
Arundel
Thanks for caring, Arundel. I don't understand that kind of cruelty either...it's just beyond me to understand it. You're right, 'people' can be hiding all sorts of things.

Your family's been in Mo since the 1870's? That's an incredible history you have there. Congrats on being back home.

When I visited family in MO a few years ago it was one of the nicest, most peaceful times I've had when traveling. I couldn't get over how welcoming everyone was. The neighbors knew I was coming, so they'd already scoped out a house for me, a likely job and several offers of dinner at homes and a music-jam. Got to tell you, I was impressed and busy! And accepted. It was very sweet. They live way the heck out in the country, which may explain it ~ .

Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 PM

380 posts, read 579,078 times
Quote:
I believe that in many cases they have rehomed the dogs, including the pit bulls, and they have made great family pets. Those dogs never wanted to fight in the first place. I read that many of Vick's dogs turned out fine
47 of the 51 Vick dogs were saved but only 14 of them have found their way into permanent homes. 22 of the dogs are with a group called Best Friends where they are being rehabilitated. They think they'll eventually be able to safely place 17 of these into homes. A group called Bad Rap, based in California has 10 of the dogs. One is still in foster care. Two died shortly after they were confiscated. Two others were euthanized; one for medical reasons, the other because it was too violent. There's a great story at Sports Illustrated.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/magazine/12/22/vick.dogs/4.html#ixzz0RsLe7aL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
So if they don't recognize a name, the reaction is a "blank look". If they do, they light up and start talking?

Sorry, that's no better than the coldness you described on the elevator of the doctor's office in St. Louis.
I don't think that's what was meant. A "blank look" would only indicate that the listener didn't recognize the name, not that they were shunning her.

I've found people to be just as friendly here as anywhere. 'Course, I'm a type 3 personality - not one bit shy.

I speak to people in the line at the grocery store, talk to the folks seated next to me at events (if appropriate), or anywhere the opportunity might arise. I have a good ear for inflections, and can usually tell what part of the country folks are from by talking with them for a few moments. As a result we've made lots of friends who've moved here, just like us. On the flip side, I've also had the pleasure of meeting people whose families have lived in Missouri for generations and many of them have become friends, too.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-22-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,903,179 times
Nu2pomona. Read the link about Vick's dogs. How sad and then how happy for some. Thank you for this.

I also find myself smiling at others during the day when in town, at the store, post office, etc. , doesn't cost a thing and makes everyone that much happier, I hope!!! And will begin conversations depending upon the situation.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,904,597 times
My Wife Is Going To Be Proud Of Me

She usually don't want me working on the Pickups.I worked on mine today the Heater was giving me problems.

I got it going kind of,just don't want to turn certain things on and to think I had parts left over

hillman

Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 PM

131,622 posts, read 43,457,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
My Wife Is Going To Be Proud Of Me

She usually don't want me working on the Pickups.I worked on mine today the Heater was giving me problems.

I got it going kind of,just don't want to turn certain things on and to think I had parts left over

hillman
I just hope it wasn't a hose clamp.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,903,179 times
Isn't that just like a man???? lol....Now Hillman can sell those parts to someone else and make a few bucks, perhaps.... lol...

Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post

hillman
ROTFLMAO!! I limit my tinkering to computers. Usually, I come up short a part. Mostly one of those tiny little screws, or wee little nuts. Fortunately, I have spares. Then, in a week or two, I find the lost bits with the vacuum cleaner (or step on 'em with my feet bare).

Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM

We left the land of our birth on September 21, 2007, to move to Missouri. Slept that night on matresses on the floor in our new house; unloaded trucks, trailers, vans and cars, moved furniture and unpacked boxes all day Saturday and Sunday and closed on the house on Monday, September 24 - two years ago this past week. When I look around at all we've accomplished these past 24 months I feel a great deal of satisfaction. We're home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri