U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 AM

13,760 posts, read 4,033,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post

I'm so sad to hear you haven't found some good connections here in Missouri, MoNative! How far out in the boonies are you? We have made a few friends but nothing great. We're out in the country, too. The friends we have made have mostly been through one friend...that had moved out here with her husband from CA a year or so before we did. I must admit to having met some wonderful people through the forum but we all live too far apart and our lives just go in different directions.

My phone and computer has become my lifeline and I stay in touch through them. Between email, Facebook, games and the phone, I'm good to go! My kids live in four different states and my siblings are scattered all over, too, so while we're farther away than we were, we could never live near all of them, anyway. We chose to live where we could most afford to live (and retire) and in these tough economic times, it has worked out on that count.

I bet the winter months are hard on you, huh? It's hard being all cooped up inside, especially when you don't share that inside space with another soul. I can see why you have been thinking about things. One of the things that we love about being here in the country is the seclusion and peaceful quiet. We have had such crummy neighbors over the years and the thought of going back to neighbors so near is enough to put the brakes on thinking about moving, even though we've had some really hard times since we got here.

No one said life would be simple, did they? If they did, go kick them in the shins for me, k?

By the way, consider yourself hugged, too!
Awww, MrsG!! You are a ray of light!

Life sure isn't simple. Thatsfersure!

I just hit the 10 year mark living here. When I first bought this place and built, I was a 26 y/o just fufilling a dream and not thinking too much about the distant future and just thought everything would just work out. I'm at a point now where I'm not sure if all the sacrificies I make (time spent commuting, transportation costs, distance from social stuff, distance from family, etc.) are worth it. I have parents across the state that are getting up there in years, and a brother and family that live several states away that I don't get to see nearly as much as I'd like. Most of the friends I've made live in the city and the distance makes it tough to maintain the friendships. The same goes for dating. This would be a great area to raise a family and the demographics of my area reflect that, but at the same time it makes it difficult to fit in even though my political/worldviews are pretty much in line with rural Mo (that's a disclaimer if ozarksboy happens to read this ).

I realize there are folks out there that are really hurting right now and I count my blessings every day, but just because I'm not in an outright nasty situation doesn't mean I should not try to make things better. I'll figure out something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,405,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Awww, MrsG!! You are a ray of light!

Life sure isn't simple. Thatsfersure!

I just hit the 10 year mark living here. When I first bought this place and built, I was a 26 y/o just fufilling a dream and not thinking too much about the distant future and just thought everything would just work out. I'm at a point now where I'm not sure if all the sacrificies I make (time spent commuting, transportation costs, distance from social stuff, distance from family, etc.) are worth it. I have parents across the state that are getting up there in years, and a brother and family that live several states away that I don't get to see nearly as much as I'd like. Most of the friends I've made live in the city and the distance makes it tough to maintain the friendships. The same goes for dating. This would be a great area to raise a family and the demographics of my area reflect that, but at the same time it makes it difficult to fit in even though my political/worldviews are pretty much in line with rural Mo (that's a disclaimer if ozarksboy happens to read this ).

I realize there are folks out there that are really hurting right now and I count my blessings every day, but just because I'm not in an outright nasty situation doesn't mean I should not try to make things better. I'll figure out something.
10 years!!! I never knew that! You've made all excellent points so I can see why you would so seriously be considering making a move. Fortunately, you can take your political/worldviews with you, huh? I know, it's more fun when you're not in "enemy territory" though, huh? Haha! (Back off, Ozarksboy!) LOL If you decide to move, I hope you are able to sell quickly and at a fair price.

Great disclaimer on your being grateful but still wanting to make things better! That's exactly right...and I doubt that anyone saw your comments as complaining. Life is life...some good, some bad...and we all get to take our turn at getting some of each...and it's okay to talk about it all!

I'm sendin' another virtual hug yer way! Gnite!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,883,643 times
Happy Birthday to the lady that gets so much enjoyment trampling about & exploring with all her critters in the flora of the lands to the north...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NWV

Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM

131,621 posts, read 44,012,068 times
Happy Birthday my friend.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM

99,405 posts, read 26,382,317 times
Happy Birthday Voyager my friend!!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,987,038 times
Thank y'all for the Birthday Wishes. I am blessed to have you as friends. You do mean a great deal to me. Thanks again!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Happy Birthday to you!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,987,038 times
Thank you, MoNative, for the birthday wish. Another year older but not necessarily wiser!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Thank you, MoNative, for the birthday wish. Another year older but not necessarily wiser!
I hear that. I turned 37 last month and thought I'd have it all figured out by now and don't, but also thought I had it all figured out when I was 18.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,760,792 times
I came in and found a black wasp on my head. I flung my hand and thought he was gone. I turned around and he was on the back of my hoodie. I threw the hoodie on the ground and shook it and he wouldn't come out. So the hoodie is now in the washer.

It's a wonder he didn't sting me. I guess it's still too cold. He would hardly move. I saw something falling from the roof of the porch earlier and I didn't think anything of it.

I'm still shaken up.

A few years ago Dad sprayed a hornet's nest on the outside of the house. They got mad and chewed through the wall. I came home from school and there were dozens of hornets all over the dining room. Mom and I got the spray and killed them. That was a shock to come home to.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-05-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri