U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,549,935 times
Yep, looks like storms are in the making right now. should be here in a very, very short time. If it's gonna storm, then let's have the thunder and lightening to go with it. Might as well be exciting!!!

At least your horse came out ahead at the auction!!! That was very nice of your hubby to do that. Take care....later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 AM

774 posts, read 866,415 times
Good rainy morning everyone!
I was actually glad to hear the rain when I woke up this morning. It means I don't have to go pound nails.
We do have to go to town today and get auto insurance and Missouri plates on the truck. And a few groceries.

The hubby says I always get the best of everything. The best tack for my horse and the best Camo for hunting.. After all I AM worth it.

Stay dry and have a great day.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,966,506 times
Default Vent time for me!!! Sorry!!!

I am Very upset and Angry and I am usually the person that just let this go but I think it is my darn Preggo mood right now. My husband saw an advertisement in a Nemo Trader about Notice Farm For Sale:$900 an acre dirt cheap located on Hwy 156 3 1/2 miles west of La Plata, reason of selling is will be moving to Downing,MO. Contact Andy Borntreger or contact Roseana Borntreger.I know this is a Amish Community as well so I knew this advertisement is from an Amish person that don't have phone.I drove for 45 mins to find out this was some joke. You sure don't hear me laughing. I wasted my truck gas money to find out this was Bogus.Not only was I embarrased but very upset and I think someone should pay for this Joke that was advertised.This isn't the first time. I am hard working class person that is trying to find a place to have our own and I thought this would be our chance. It told my husband yesterday what happen and he didn't look happy. But today Now I am looking at the Mid-Mo Trader it is advertise in there in two different spots in this weeks trader. I just broke down bawling and very upset. I got my hopes up for nothing. Now my problem is I want to write a complaint to these Traders but I am terrible writer and terrible communicator and I don't know how to go about this. Sorry I had to vent!!! Thanks for Reading and putting up with me.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 AM

93 posts, read 212,531 times
Default I'm On My Way!

Two years and 8 months after I left, the day has finally arrived and I am on my way back. I leave in about 5 hours. It's odd, I thought I would be jumping up and down from excitement, but all I feel is contentment and, for want of a better analogy, completely at peace with the world.

My sister flew out from Missouri to drive my car back, and my brother from California to drive the moving truck as I'm not able to make a fist yet due to the burns on my hands. Who knew you needed to make a fist to be able to drive?

We had to change the moving date due to my brothers job, so I'm leaving a little earlier than planned. Today is also the 8th anniversary of the death of our father; 8 years but it still feels like it happened only yesterday. I don't think there will come a day that I won't miss my Daddy.

Sorry to get a little weepy on you, just doesn't feel right not to mention it.

I bought an older house that needs a fair amount of updating, and I am eager to get my hands on it once and for all. I love bringing old houses back to life. I hope you all remind me of that in six months when I'm griping about the plumbing.

So, by the Grace of God, and for better or for worse, here I come MO. See you all soon.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,450,841 times
kbear - hope the venting helped, and ya are doing better. Seriously, ads in such papers can be misleading, and at times be fake, altho' I believe such to be rare. Anyhow, take care lady.

Marie'sBees - congrats, and safe travels...

Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,966,506 times
Hey ShadowCaver it felt sooooo good to vent. Thanks everyone for letting me!!!

Ok you all I need some help here. Last night I pulled 12 ticks off my family. I didn't get one tick on me and I am thinking ticks don't like pregnant people.I didn't even check the dog last night I put her in the bathroom for the night because I was sooooo tired after my whole family. Boy was that a bonding..LOL LOL Any hoot My dog gets Frontline once a month and I will be checking her today but I need to know what I can do to prevent getting ticks in the house and on the family. I asked my prenatal doctor a couple weeks ago about repellent and she said NO DEET....Urghhh what am I suppose to do now. Is there any extra stuff that I can spray on the dog before she comes in the house. My husband said we ain't living in the country no more. Like that is going to solve the problem. Well it might but I love it out here and I don't want to move. I need to handle the problem and try to get less ticks on my family and the dog. Any suggestions??????

Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 AM

870 posts, read 1,895,023 times
Default Diatomaceous Earth !!

Found something that may do the trick for ya! Details here...

Diatomaceous Earth for Natural Tick, Flea, & Ant Control (http://deliciousorganic.com/Products/DEarth.htm - broken link)

Also heard that Borax is safe for kids and pets, (To an extent. It can be put in cracks, around foundations, behind baseboards, etc. ~ Non toxic to birds and small animals) and kills roaches, ants and even termites! You can get it at the Hardware or feed store cheaper in larger quantities.

Kareybear, tick bites can be very dangerous! Here is a link to how to properly remove a tick... (not that you did it wrong, just want everyone to know!) How To Remove Ticks

Enjoy this beautiful day!!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,549,935 times
Unhappy Unwanted critters

Hi kareybear...I detest the little buggers. They seem to find me no matter what. I do use spray and tuck pant legs into long socks if and when I find myself walking where I know they will be. No tall grass and weeds. They also love cedar trees. Along with all of the helpful advice above, here is some reading for you: Tiny, Tenacious, Terrible Ticks Good luck and please take care of yourself.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 AM

318 posts, read 492,993 times
NW & Darlynn - great links.

KB - Avon is what we use. Skin So Soft lotion. They also have a spray Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard plus Picaridin, which is the active ingredient. They also carry this w/sunscreen. It has worked for us. Still see a critter here and there. Good luck to you and sorry for someone playing a joke on land for sale. Hope you at least enjoyed the ride there as for the ride home, I would have been frustrated too.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 AM

2,477 posts, read 3,571,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie'sBees View Post
Two years and 8 months after I left, the day has finally arrived and I am on my way back. I leave in about 5 hours. It's odd, I thought I would be jumping up and down from excitement, but all I feel is contentment and, for want of a better analogy, completely at peace with the world.

My sister flew out from Missouri to drive my car back, and my brother from California to drive the moving truck as I'm not able to make a fist yet due to the burns on my hands. Who knew you needed to make a fist to be able to drive?

We had to change the moving date due to my brothers job, so I'm leaving a little earlier than planned. Today is also the 8th anniversary of the death of our father; 8 years but it still feels like it happened only yesterday. I don't think there will come a day that I won't miss my Daddy.

Sorry to get a little weepy on you, just doesn't feel right not to mention it.

I bought an older house that needs a fair amount of updating, and I am eager to get my hands on it once and for all. I love bringing old houses back to life. I hope you all remind me of that in six months when I'm griping about the plumbing.

So, by the Grace of God, and for better or for worse, here I come MO. See you all soon.
Hi Maries Bees,

Hope your trip went smoothly, and would love to hear how your house repairs are going. Do you the work yourself? What part of Missouri are you in? Congratulations on your new home in Missouri. Take Care.

Tambre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri