Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:48 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,281,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wind aka Tornado risk is pretty minor. NOt that it's worth preparing for but still.

THe eventual St. Louis EQ is the big risk to anyone in the area.
I agree. Even the good Friday tornado while it was large, still didn't kill anyone. A powerful earthquake could kill thousands. If the New Madrid had a big one, Memphis would be hit hard too along with St. Louis.

Worse case getting hit by a powerful tornado is what happened in Joplin. I'm still surprised the Joplin tornado death toll wasn't higher. Same with the 2013 Moore tornado didn't have a really high death toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 04:20 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,525,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

Worse case getting hit by a powerful tornado is what happened in Joplin. I'm still surprised the Joplin tornado death toll wasn't higher. Same with the 2013 Moore tornado didn't have a really high death toll.
Joplin was a good example of two good things-- enough warning for people to get into safe places and a community whose dwellings were built for, and ready for, tornadoes. We drove up 44 on the Sunday after the tornado and even from the freeway, the property damage we saw was astonishing-- it looked like pictures of Hiroshima or Dresden. But the staff at Cracker Barrel were cheerful and thankful for the warning and that they had good places to go for protection, even though a couple of them had their houses destroyed.

This is a good lesson for the OP if (s)he's still reading this-- you can't outrun a tornado but you can survive it if your home has a sturdy basement and you don't do stupid things like come up out of the basement just to see what tornadoes look like. That's what the Weather Channel is for. Keep some food and water in the basement, some blankets, and a place to sleep if necessary-- cots work for us. Board games or a deck of cards are good if the electricity is out for any length of time. Get a weather radio that will pick up the emergency broadcast signal.

Hug your family.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,281,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Joplin was a good example of two good things-- enough warning for people to get into safe places and a community whose dwellings were built for, and ready for, tornadoes. We drove up 44 on the Sunday after the tornado and even from the freeway, the property damage we saw was astonishing-- it looked like pictures of Hiroshima or Dresden. But the staff at Cracker Barrel were cheerful and thankful for the warning and that they had good places to go for protection, even though a couple of them had their houses destroyed.

This is a good lesson for the OP if (s)he's still reading this-- you can't outrun a tornado but you can survive it if your home has a sturdy basement and you don't do stupid things like come up out of the basement just to see what tornadoes look like. That's what the Weather Channel is for. Keep some food and water in the basement, some blankets, and a place to sleep if necessary-- cots work for us. Board games or a deck of cards are good if the electricity is out for any length of time. Get a weather radio that will pick up the emergency broadcast signal.

Hug your family.
There is a couple videos on youtube of a storm chasing tour van outrunning the Joplin tornado. At one point only about 100 yards from it as they get on the highway just in time.

The sunset hills tornado I was at work in crestwood during it on Watson road. I'd say the tornado was under 150 yards from us just down the street. We had insulation and pieces of power polls in our parking lot from the lines snapping. I was pretty awesome watching the power of it and the power lines snapping sideways and watching them snap in half. Took me almost hour and a half to get him because of all the roads closed but I got to drive by all the damage.

I still wonder about the Good Friday tornado and how no one died in an EF4 passing through a major area during the evening hours when people are out on a Friday night.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,439,000 times
Hey, on the subject of tornado's, I live in Grandview, MO, now, but my wife and I lived through the large tornado in Dodge City, Kansas, on May 25th, 2016. We went down to our basement, which had dirt floors to it. We waited it out, earlier we heard very fierce winds and hail spraying all over. Fortunately we had a garage, so I could stow the car away ahead of the tornado's arrival there. We lived in central-south Dodge City, and the tornado, which had at least 5 appendages to it for at least part of it's run through Dodge, turned westerly just before it would have hit our part of town. It went west, and then north by northeast and towards central Kansas. Whew! No one was killed. A workmate's house and vehicles were hit, they suffered big losses to their house and to the vehicles. A couple of elderly women were ambulanced to Western Plains Medical Center, and they were all right after a short hospital visit.

So we dodged the storm, pardon the pun. We got the "hell outta Dodge City" in August of this year and came to the Kansas City, MO, area.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:33 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,397,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wind aka Tornado risk is pretty minor. NOt that it's worth preparing for but still.

THe eventual St. Louis EQ is the big risk to anyone in the area.

True my wife where she works they are continually preparing for the big EQ.

Really though they have to be ready for anything around here. Earth Quakes, Tornadoes, Brush Fires and Floods.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri