Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:38 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,776,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Here it is. Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens to sign 'right-to-work' into law on Monday | Political Fix | stltoday.com

... and they usually only lobby and support candidates for public office from one side of the aisle.
This is always a curious statement to me. Yes, unions do contribute to candidates that you may be ideologically opposed to, but so do the employers whom your work benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 05:39 PM

3,825 posts, read 3,281,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They just donate to the politicians who have tried to help working people. Republicans have always favored employers over employees.
How is that Unaffordable Care Act working out? Certainly hasn't helped me except cost me thousands more in premiums and crappier deductibles.

Democraps want to allow more immigrants in to take away more jobs. Not that the Republicans are not guilty of this mess as well, they are. However a number of these unions do nothing to help workers. I had to be a member of UCFW when working at the grocery store and the thing was nothing but a farce. I would have made more money working at Wal-mart or McDonalds and got more hours. Skilled trade unions tend to be better, but for the other jobs such as retail and low end service it's nothing but a farce taking away money from people who already are not making much money.

When I first started at the grocery store I think it was the first three months of employment they would take something like 25 percent of my pay towards union dues when I was making just above min wage! Not sure what the current contract is though. I think raises were like 15 cents for some many hours worked and it was a farce as well.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
In the 60s before I enlisted in the Army and the 70s when I was back from overseas I worked in the grocery industry in California becoming a journeyman produce clerk. I had to join the Retail Clerks Union but as I remember, the dues were reasonable and the benefits were good as was the pay.

Years later I went to work for the state and initially had to be a member of SEIU. Ultimately the dues were rather draconian although, again, the benefits were excellent. Over time I became a manager and got out of the union without any loss in benefits although the union screwed us managers out of several because they weren't available to line staff and the state capitulated with them. I retired at the end of 2008 as a senior manager with a reasonable pension and Cadillac benefits.

At a time when we managers received no COLAs and line staff were somewhat similarly but not as severely impacted the union raised its dues significantly to pump up their political action fund. Everyone was pissed-off, even us managers who didn't belong to the union and but for the fact that state service for line staff was a closed shop, many line staff would have quit the union. A Right to Work bill was soundly voted down by the pay-to-play legislature. Sadly, all too many workers just couldn't bring themselves to vote their consciences and voted lock-step with the union. Thus, the Democrats won and the "little" people lost.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 PM

19,685 posts, read 10,015,636 times
I agree, unions are not wonderful, but they have led to higher wages.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:21 PM
tlw

97 posts, read 429,502 times
Much more than just higher wages .....

Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

Old 02-14-2017, 12:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw View Post
Much more than just higher wages .....

Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States
No argument. But using forced (closed shop) union dues for causes not supported by all their members is somewhat unconscionable.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 AM

134 posts, read 187,507 times
And so Missouri joins the race to the bottom.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
If it brings more jobs to rural Missouri, especially southern Missouri then that's good. Better having low to mid level paying jobs than no jobs at all like it currently does.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:51 PM

685 posts, read 758,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
If it brings more jobs to rural Missouri, especially southern Missouri then that's good. Better having low to mid level paying jobs than no jobs at all like it currently does.
Rural areas won't even get that. They don't have sufficient labor or talent pools to attract significant employers. You can see this by examining longtime RTW states where rural areas continue to depopulate and decay. Small cities like Cape or Joplin might benefit, but they aren't really rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
You mean: race to stay on bottom? MO is already at or near the bottom in many metrics.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Rural areas won't even get that. They don't have sufficient labor or talent pools to attract significant employers. You can see this by examining longtime RTW states where rural areas continue to depopulate and decay. Small cities like Cape or Joplin might benefit, but they aren't really rural.

You mean: race to stay on bottom? MO is already at or near the bottom in many metrics.
Rural states such as SC and TN have seen car makers such as Toyota and BMW. Why they're not super high paying jobs except for managers, engineers and such the jobs still pay much better than Wal-Mart or other lower paying service industry type jobs that are really the only jobs available in rural areas and many areas of the country.

Also Obama's energy policies have hurt many states as well. With Trump luring back auto makers and other large corporations and more favorable energy policies such as coal producing, lets see how things go for states such as Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, West Virginia.

Here in Florida our problem is nothing to do with right to work why the jobs pay low here. Our problem is that most of Florida is a service based economy and doesn't have much manufacturing, tech, or oil industry. The southern half of the state a lot of the service based jobs are seasonal, or retail.

The schools also suck here too. Old retirees don't want to pay for schools since most don't have school aged children. Many smart people end up leaving the state.

Healthcare is big down here, but for business degrees and such not a lot of jobs and they pay bad and a lot of competition for the few jobs there are. I live in Southwest Florida and most of the jobs are healthcare, retail and service based jobs and they pay crap which is a big complaint I hear from people moving here. We don't have much industry down here except healthcare jobs like nursing, and hotels and tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri