Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 PM

17 posts, read 21,825 times

Advertisements

I am really interested in the como/ Jefferson City area. One of my big questions is that I love MLB and NHL how awful would the drive be going to cards/ blues games a time or two a month ? It shows the drive is just under 2 hours on google but how true is that ? Is traffic slow going that route ? Is the area dominated by just the college teams or do the pro teams have much of a following in the area ? Help me out sports fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:54 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,521,094 times
StL is a two-hour drive from Columbia, but you need to factor inStL traffic. when we go to Cardinal games, we take a metro rail from a Western station; there's a station across the street from the stadium. Parking near the stadium is expensive, inconvenient, and occasionally dangerous.

The area has lots of Cardinal fans, fewer Blues fans. Missouri's recent lack of success in the marquee sports (football, basketball) has led to a decline of interest. But even when were doing well, MU's policy of favoring rich donors for seats and parking drove away thousands of casual local fans, and they're doing the same thing for football.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm wrestling with the fact that in my head it sounds doable but in reality will it be a huge hassle and get old in a hurry. Would love to go to a several cards games a year and a few blues but not sure.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:25 PM

ok well looks like thats all I am going to get. Was worth a shot

Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM

685 posts, read 755,592 times
I just drove from JC to Maplewood last week. It took 1:45. Even with rush hour traffic in StL, the trip from JC to downtown shouldn't be more than 2:30.

Another thing to consider: JC and Columbia are very different places. JC is a quiet, older capitol town. Columbia is a relatively dynamic college city that is experiencing rapid growth. Both are decent places, in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,417,601 times
Jefferson City's landscape and the Capitol building and it's downtown are cool. Wouldn't mind living in Jefferson City, not so much Colombia.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Checking it out for a few days in may.... appreciate the info. Ideally would prefer to not live in city limits of either town but be out a little more rural.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 PM

15,983 posts, read 10,545,813 times
Lived in JC for 30 years and made frequent trips to StL for family visits. The drive on I-70 from JC to StL was OK...drive home was tedious, especially the last few miles on US 54. I liked Hwy 50 better....to I-44 and then downtown. Watch for deer at night. If I was going to north county or to St Charles it's I-70 -- same with KC.

We'd take Amtrak on occasion for a couple days or long weekend in StL or KC (Rent a car). Went to Cards games, some concerts and theater, zoo and museums...there's a lot to do. Lake of the Ozarks was close enough too -- 45 minutes or less.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,962,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhgkb View Post
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm wrestling with the fact that in my head it sounds doable but in reality will it be a huge hassle and get old in a hurry. Would love to go to a several cards games a year and a few blues but not sure.
Thousands of St. Louisans drive to Columbia for football games on a Saturday so doing the opposite for Cardinals and Blues is certainly doable.

The local stations and paper cover the pro teams from KC and STL. Assuming you are likely coming in for weekend games traffic really isn't an issue.

And if you are driving in for the typical 7:15 start for Cardinal baseball the heavy traffic will be coming away from downtown, not towards it, so you should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri