Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times

Advertisements

Apparently our MAP tests are some of the hardest in the country. So, they'll be replaced by end-of-course exams that you have to pass to pass the course. That's what I've heard.

Quote:
Missouri schools have been using the old MAP test to measure their proficiency. But that test, developed before No Child Left Behind was passed, includes higher standards than the federal law requires. As a result, No Child Left Behind has rewarded Missouri's aiming high with a big slap in the face: declaring more of the state's schools as "failing."
Missouri's MAP test may be changed, to lower standards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,992 times
Haha. I think that's funny because my class was the last to use MAP testing. Everyone else now has to do those end-of-the-year exams. I just missed 'em!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,229 times
Our kids still take them. How sad that we are dumbing down our nation.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
But really they haven't given Missouri a choice. If they're going to punish us for having a harder test, what are we supposed to do?

This actually came up recently in both the St. Louis and Kansas City forum when people were looking to relocate to one of the bi-state areas and thought Missouri had much lousier schools because sites like greatschools.net showed much better test scores in both Illinois and Kansas.

I remember taking the MAP tests, and aside from being pretty hard, I always thought they were fairly subjective. On the math one you'd have to explain all your answers and show every single step or they'd dock you points, even if you had the right answer. To me that's just stupid- I got the answer right!

I always used to joke that I was sure I got the grader who woke up that morning and her hot water was out, then her car wouldn't start and the bus was late etc. so she was grumpy and apt to grade meanly!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 AM

145 posts, read 655,668 times
The MAP tests are set to be 'phased out' as far as we (teachers) have been told. Kids are still going to take them as normal this year, then next year only some will take them, while others move on to the end-of-course exams. The end-of-course exams have not yet been created, they so not know what or how exactly they will work, but hey, that's what we're supposed to start next year (gotta love government lol!)
Personally, I find that the idea is good, but fear the implementation, and still do not believe you can ever accurately measure one school or even one student against another--it just should not be done. We should not have to "teach-to-the-test", which is what is currently happening--that one of the main demises of our schools, no matter what test is used in what state.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM

144 posts, read 552,426 times
I am a first grade teacher. I don't technically give the MAP test, but I deal with it all the time and have taken it myself. I hate that test. Too much emphasis is spent on teaching the "test" (which is never really clear on what they want us to teach anyway) and not on really focusing on grade level subject matter. I have been waiting for the day the MAP test will go away, yet I dread what we may have to deal with next.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
my daughter is sitting here with me while i read these coments and says the tests are really not that hard. she is in 4th grade. this is the second year she has taken them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri