Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:51 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,252,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I don't know about the KC region but you'd be shocked how many people from the St. Louis area vacation in and in some cases own own homes in Michigan and Wisconsin.
Why would you own a home in WI or MI if you live in MO? Just nothing there that Missouri doesn't have.

I thought most Missourians vacation in the Floriduh Pan Handle?

I don't like those northern states. MI and WI too cold for me and even in the summer can get cool at times. Also, it's a bit too liberal for me. Granted not far left, but nowhere near like Missouri is when it comes to right wing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
I don't know about the KC region but you'd be shocked how many people from the St. Louis area vacation in and in some cases own own homes in Michigan and Wisconsin.
Not as familiar with the situation in STL pertaining to that, but it is quite uncommon in KC.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:28 PM

15,971 posts, read 10,526,043 times
There's no shortage of superwealthy folks buying or building expensive homes at LOTO. It is relatively easy to get to compared to other places. Other lakes in Missouri are mostly Corps of Engineer lakes and lakefront homes are mostly not allowed. LOTO was developed by Union Electric, privately around 1930, which accounts for the gazillion homes lining the shore. People living or coming to the Lake of the Ozarks spend money regardless of their liberal or elite status so I doubt they worry much about the local Red country brigades showing up with torches and pitchforks. As a former semi-local resident, we often went there just for a nice lunch or dinner but avoided the bible-thumper conventions that would show up periodically and flood the place. Olean's Testicle Festival was more fun.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There's no shortage of superwealthy folks buying or building expensive homes at LOTO. It is relatively easy to get to compared to other places. Other lakes in Missouri are mostly Corps of Engineer lakes and lakefront homes are mostly not allowed. LOTO was developed by Union Electric, privately around 1930, which accounts for the gazillion homes lining the shore. People living or coming to the Lake of the Ozarks spend money regardless of their liberal or elite status so I doubt they worry much about the local Red country brigades showing up with torches and pitchforks. As a former semi-local resident, we often went there just for a nice lunch or dinner but avoided the bible-thumper conventions that would show up periodically and flood the place. Olean's Testicle Festival was more fun.
I don't like Lake of the Ozarks personally. Too crowded and don't care for the scenery much. I like the more southern, rugged terrain look that Table Rock, Bull Shoals has in southern Missouri.

Also, being 100 miles more north in the state makes a big difference too! Spring starts sooner down in the southern quarter of Missouri where Table Rock is at. The weather is noticeably warmer in that short distance. You get an extra couple weeks of warmer weather and bass spawning season starts sooner in far southern Missouri.

Heck, when I went to Branson mid May 2013 even the distance from Springfield to Branson it was a bit warmer and more humid that same day. While St. Louis was mid 70s for that day, it was upper 80s down in Branson.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:24 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Why would you own a home in WI or MI if you live in MO? Just nothing there that Missouri doesn't have.

I don't like those northern states. MI and WI too cold for me and even in the summer can get cool at times. Also, it's a bit too liberal for me. Granted not far left, but nowhere near like Missouri is when it comes to right wing.
It's for the upper middle class to moderately affluent, but I know several that own in Door County Wisconsin and others that own and or rent every year in Western Michigan along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. To a lesser extent I know people who vacation on the inland lakes.

I do know a lot of people who go to the gulf, Destin, etc.

And wealthy in St. Louis for decades have been going to Naples, Florida and places like that.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:47 PM

15,971 posts, read 10,526,043 times
Quote:
I don't like Lake of the Ozarks personally. Too crowded and don't care for the scenery much. I like the more southern, rugged terrain look that Table Rock, Bull Shoals has in southern Missouri.
When I would go diving we would usually go to a quieter lake like Bull Shoals or Table Rock because LOTO was far too crazy with speedboat traffic and the wakes would keep the water too murky. Just too busy. There are quiet coves out on the western branches but sometimes a bit trashy. Some people are pigs. Even those southern lakes are cold once you are down a few feet. Bull Shoals was a gem for diving...clear water, sunken forests, rocky cliffs, and some nice fish 🐟 🐟 🐟

Old 05-01-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
It's for the upper middle class to moderately affluent, but I know several that own in Door County Wisconsin and others that own and or rent every year in Western Michigan along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. To a lesser extent I know people who vacation on the inland lakes.

I do know a lot of people who go to the gulf, Destin, etc.

And wealthy in St. Louis for decades have been going to Naples, Florida and places like that.
I lived in Naples for 10 years before moving back to stl. Now I'm back in FL but a couple counties north. I still got a couple relatives in Collier county. I didn't run into a lot of people from stl. Did have a high school classmate from KC and a teachers assistant who was from Stl and once worked for the Cardinals until he had a bout of cancer and left the job. Another family friend of my relatives is very well off and lives in Naples and still has a place in stl due to businesses up there.

Btw Naples is way overrated now and way too crowded and unless you're like a multi millionaire and got gobs of money to live on Marco Island or in the city of Naples in Port Royal or near the beach then it's a waste of money.

Most of collier county that is unincorporated where most of the population lives is also way overpriced for what you get. Naples and Collier County keeps seeing a big influx of New Englanders such as NJ, NY, MA etc. that drove property prices sky high and are the type of people you don't want to be around. They hate fly over country, drive terrible, very demanding, and just overall annoying. We have them Yankees in my county also and they're starting to drive prices up too because the jobs up there pay really good and they sell their house 3x what their house down here costs.

The people from KY, IN, VA, Missouri, IL who comes down here act normal and more laid back.

Not to mention Collier County also has a crime issue as well due to being close to Miami. Always hearing about robberies and violent crime down there on the nightly. Just the other day an illegal in Naples was driving the wrong way on I75 and jumped out of his car and ran off WHILE the car was still moving.

Naples is great to visit though don't get me wrong but unless as I said you're uber rich and live in Port Royal or somewhere inclusive like near the beach then it's just not worth the money.

Naples literally was just 10-15 miles away from total disaster with Irma. that small difference would have put almost 15 feet of water in Naples and wrecked the economy for years for them. Those Port Royal and Naples Beach houses would been under water. Especially if it came in around 140mph and up the SWFL Coast as first forecasted. It would been a disaster as bad as Katrina. My house here might been gone too.

I personally if I was rich would not build a house close to the water. Just not good investing. Eventually a hurricane Donna type storm and path will happen again. Heck, Wilma in 2005 if it were 25 miles north would have smashed Naples with surge too. With all the building that has gone on in south FL not if but WHEN a large cat4 strikes and takes a path similar to Irma but just offshore to give everyone mega storm surge and major hurricane winds all the way to Tampa there is going to be a crisis with the insurance companies. Especially if Irma would have hit Southeast FL as near cat5 which it looked possible at one point that it was going to go for Miami. That would have been catastrophic.

A lot of people also visit just for a couple week or they rent a condo for a couple months during the coldest time of the winter. I ran into a customer from St. Louis at work back in Jan. I saw the dealer logo on his car so I knew where he was from right away. He was renting for a couple months.

And another thing if you want to visit Southwest Florida, actually summer is the best time. Not only is it less crowded with the tourist and such gone but the rates for the hotels are much cheaper as well as Tee Time too since it's out of season and they want to stay a float. Also the Gulf is warm too.

The Pan Handle is the opposite and their season is the summer since in the winter it's way too cold to go to the beach or do a lot of stuff outside. It even gets down into the teens there a couple times a winter usually.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:29 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:

What MO doesn’t have that WI, MN, and MI have? Naturally occurring clear lakes that you can see to the bottom of, a much more pleasing forest composition with spruce, fir, pine, maple, birch, and oak. Climate that is far more appealing in the summer with lower humidity across the board, high temperatures in the 70s lows in the 50s. Winter climate where people get outdoors because of consistent snow cover for long periods, snowmobiling, skiing common. Doubtful you are very familiar with all rural areas of the Upper Midwest like I am.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-04-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What MO has that WI, MN, and MI don't have? Naturally occurring clear lakes that you can see to the bottom of, a much more pleasing forest composition with spruce, fir, pine, maple, birch, and oak. Climate that is far more appealing in the summer with lower humidity across the board, high temperatures in the 70s lows in the 50s. Winter climate where people get outdoors because of consistent snow cover for long periods, snowmobiling, skiing common. Doubtful you are very familiar with all rural areas of the Upper Midwest like I am.
Yea, I wouldn't like that. Too cold and depressing. I don't like -15 below.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What MO has that WI, MN, and MI don't have? Naturally occurring clear lakes that you can see to the bottom of, a much more pleasing forest composition with spruce, fir, pine, maple, birch, and oak. Climate that is far more appealing in the summer with lower humidity across the board, high temperatures in the 70s lows in the 50s. Winter climate where people get outdoors because of consistent snow cover for long periods, snowmobiling, skiing common. Doubtful you are very familiar with all rural areas of the Upper Midwest like I am.
We have plenty of trees:

http://www.forestandwoodland.org/upl...f_missouri.pdf

And people get out plenty here in the winter - because it's not generally so damn cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri