Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 PM

138 posts, read 150,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I’m so pleased most Americans despise the cold, it allows the cost of living in terms of real estate to be more reasonable in some of those places. Twin Cities real estate is getting speedy, though.

I guess I’m the only one who agrees with you. I love the North Woods of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. My grandparents used to have a cabin in Northern Minnesota near Lake Superior. Yes, it was damn cold in the winter. But the peace and tranquility of the area, as well as the beauty of the snow-drenched forest was heavenly. In my mind, the forests of Missouri just can’t match. Plus, Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock pale in comparison to the Great Lakes up north. I strongly prefer the weather of the Upper Midwest compared to the oppressive heat and humidity of southern Missouri. And I definitely don’t get the appeal of Florida, though I’m obviously in the minority there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,333,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
I guess I’m the only one who agrees with you. I love the North Woods of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. My grandparents used to have a cabin in Northern Minnesota near Lake Superior. Yes, it was damn cold in the winter. But the peace and tranquility of the area, as well as the beauty of the snow-drenched forest was heavenly. In my mind, the forests of Missouri just can’t match. Plus, Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock pale in comparison to the Great Lakes up north. I strongly prefer the weather of the Upper Midwest compared to the oppressive heat and humidity of southern Missouri. And I definitely don’t get the appeal of Florida, though I’m obviously in the minority there.
Agreed, trying to move back to the Upper Midwest, a better quality of life across the board compared to areas further south. Florida is overcrowded. The rest is too hot and humid. Summer sun angle is more tolerable in the US along and north of 43N latitude at a minimum. It is an unfortunate reality that most of the US is so far south in latitude compared to much of Europe and Canada. I dislike about 80% of all climates in the US as they are either too hot or too hot and humid. The Americans that like the heat and humidity get an endless selection of places to pick from, though.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:25 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,978,859 times
Quote:
Agreed, trying to move back to the Upper Midwest, a better quality of life across the board compared to areas further south. Florida is overcrowded. The rest is too hot and humid. Summer sun angle is more tolerable in the US along and north of 43N latitude at a minimum. It is an unfortunate reality that most of the US is so far south in latitude compared to much of Europe and Canada. I dislike about 80% of all climates in the US as they are either too hot or too hot and humid. The Americans that like the heat and humidity get an endless selection of places to pick from, though.
You realize a few things hopefully: (i) everyone doesn't agree with you; (ii) Missouri people might want a closer destination to vacation; (iii) the Lake of the Ozarks is recognized as a great vacation place by many (obviously not you); (iv) people from Missouri and similar locations may not be familiar with the Great Lakes or up North: (v) many people would not tolerate the winters up North and are moving out; and (vi) people have different preferences.

I grew up going to Lake of the Ozarks and loved it. 3 hour drive. My wife can't stand it. We don't go there. We go the Gulf (10-12 hour drive) or Lake Michigan (7 hour drive to South Haven, for example). We went to Door County Wisconsin a few years ago. (12 hour drive). Still fairly cold in June. Very pretty, but not for everything. And few amenities around (I don't need them, by the way).

There is hardly any amenities in the "Upper Midwest" if you are talking about the Great Lakes.

And by the way, I love the Great Lakes, I love Michigan (Sunset Coast) and I've been in Door County, but what great amenities do they have?

Last edited by MUTGR; 06-02-2018 at 10:44 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You realize a few things hopefully: (i) everyone doesn't agree with you; (ii) Missouri people might want a closer destination to vacation; (iii) the Lake of the Ozarks is recognized as a great vacation place by many (obviously not you); (iv) people from Missouri and similar locations may not be familiar with the Great Lakes or up North: (v) many people would not tolerate the winters up North and are moving out; and (vi) people have different preferences.

I grew up going to Lake of the Ozarks and loved it. 3 hour drive. My wife can't stand it. We don't go there. We go the Gulf (10-12 hour drive) or Lake Michigan (7 hour drive to South Haven, for example). We went to Door County Wisconsin a few years ago. (12 hour drive). Still fairly cold in June. Very pretty, but not for everything. And few amenities around (I don't need them, by the way).

There is hardly any amenities in the "Upper Midwest" if you are talking about the Great Lakes.

And by the way, I love the Great Lakes, I love Michigan (Sunset Coast) and I've been in Door County, but what great amenities do they have?
^
I agree we all have our climate preferences, and I realize that many areas of Missouri are considered tourist destinations. I have become completely fed up with heat and humidity over time, and know exactly what I'm going to get with winters further north. It is a trade for not dealing with heat, humidity, and broiling sun. Most nice vacation destinations are actually much further than a one day car trip away, but I like going to the coasts as well.

I am targeting a position in the Twin Cities as they have a good amount of GIS and IT positions available. It is also in a great location with easy proximity to all areas up north and most of the northern Great Lakes region. Twin Cities has a great economy, above average salaries in my career field, great parks and bike pathways everywhere, and is generally positioned better overall than anywhere else in the Midwest in the other important categories. Downside of the Twin Cities is that summer temperatures are somewhat too hot for what I prefer, and winter has a bit more wind than what I prefer. The Northwoods start about and hour and a half northeast of the Twin Cities.
If you only visited Door County in Wisconsin you missed the more scenic areas of the state in the Northwoods, like the Chequamegon and Nicolet National Forests, Vilas, Sawyer, and Oneida counties, etc. I prefer those areas and the Lake Superior region more than Door County and the Lake Michigan side.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-03-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 06:31 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,281,893 times
I could never live further north the Missouri. I've never been north of the Mason/Dixon line before.

Yes, Floriduh is overcrowded. Also, FL is more liberal overall than Missouri too which I don't like. Missouri is far more to the right socially. Especially when it comes to gun laws and abortion. You would never see the guns laws MO has like constitutional carry passed here in Florida. Our republicans are much more moderate down here in FL.

Also, most of southern Missouri is more southern than most places in Florida now.

Overall the climate isn't too bad in MO. If I lived in MO again it would be in the southern quarter of Missouri because winters are quite mild there and cold spells don't last a long time there.

I also like the politics of Missouri more than the upper Midwest. The upper Midwest is a lot more moderate than Missouri is.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

I also like the politics of Missouri more than the upper Midwest. The upper Midwest is a lot more moderate than Missouri is.
Moderate politics is why Minnesota does much better in terms of wage growth, median household income growth, college graduate retention, and overall job growth. Missouri can't claim any of that as they are a laggard in all of those metrics. MN also has a very low percentage of the population that lack health insurance, unlike Florida with its mostly exclusive service sector economy. I prefer the work ethic of the Upper Midwest and the lack of drama there in the workplace. A high overall quality of life across the board, and am generally pleased that the so called "cold" keeps out more people.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Moderate politics is why Minnesota does much better in terms of wage growth, median household income growth, college graduate retention, and overall job growth. Missouri can't claim any of that as they are a laggard in all of those metrics. MN also has a very low percentage of the population that lack health insurance, unlike Florida with its mostly exclusive service sector economy. I prefer the work ethic of the Upper Midwest and the lack of drama there in the workplace. A high overall quality of life across the board, and am generally pleased that the so called "cold" keeps out more people.
But their gun laws are not very good compared to Missouri which has the most lax gun regulations in the country such as not needing a permit to carry and very strong self defense laws.

granted here in Florida our gun laws are bad compared to Missouri. Here in FL a lot more restrictions than MO on guns and it's not getting any better.

The problem here in Florida with the influx of people is there are immigrants they can hire and pay them lower for the service jobs because they will work for dirt wages.

Our politics in Florida are pretty moderate too. Our Republicans in Floriduh are nothing like Missouri's which seem to be a lot further to the right.

A lot of our laws down here seem more like the northeast than the south.

Our FL republicans are not very pro gun like in Missouri. Like here in FL the red flag restraining order and 21 age limit to buy rifles that was just passed was quickly killed in Missouri.

Every session Stacey Newman tries passing gun restraining orders like that and they go nowhere.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
^
I agree we all have our climate preferences, and I realize that many areas of Missouri are considered tourist destinations. I have become completely fed up with heat and humidity over time, and know exactly what I'm going to get with winters further north. It is a trade for not dealing with heat, humidity, and broiling sun. Most nice vacation destinations are actually much further than a one day car trip away, but I like going to the coasts as well.

I am targeting a position in the Twin Cities as they have a good amount of GIS and IT positions available. It is also in a great location with easy proximity to all areas up north and most of the northern Great Lakes region. Twin Cities has a great economy, above average salaries in my career field, great parks and bike pathways everywhere, and is generally positioned better overall than anywhere else in the Midwest in the other important categories. Downside of the Twin Cities is that summer temperatures are somewhat too hot for what I prefer, and winter has a bit more wind than what I prefer. The Northwoods start about and hour and a half northeast of the Twin Cities.
If you only visited Door County in Wisconsin you missed the more scenic areas of the state in the Northwoods, like the Chequamegon and Nicolet National Forests, Vilas, Sawyer, and Oneida counties, etc. I prefer those areas and the Lake Superior region more than Door County and the Lake Michigan side.
By the way, I love it up North, but I'm fighting a losing battle on that with my wife. I would love to explore some of those areas.

I'm in the middle. I fully understand and appreciate your preferences - but again you are kind of at an extreme that not all agree with. Missouri is a beautiful state.

I do enjoy your posts and hope you end up where you wish! I look forward to reading them!

Last edited by MUTGR; 06-04-2018 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I would say there are other factors that I won't mention.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I would say there are other factors that I won't mention.
What would that be? Is it because Missouri is considered a hick state by many, in the bible belt?

You don't see the other true midwestern states like Kansas, Nebraska, IL, Indiana bashed like MO is. Southern Indiana sometimes, but nowhere near like Missouri and the stigma many on the left and east coast have about MO being full of white trash gun toting hicks many make them out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri