Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 PM

574 posts, read 1,301,686 times

Advertisements

So I have been watching the tv series 'Ozark' I have found it interesting and enjoyed it, I was wondering if it's accurate of the area? I doubt it is but am interested to hear opinions from locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:09 AM

30 posts, read 53,749 times
I have not watched it, But.
Read about it here.
Anyone else watch Ozark yet? (no spoilers))

Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM

587 posts, read 1,096,283 times
I watched the full first season. I enjoyed the pretty accurate regional references. While filmed in GA, it does seem to offer areal views that are indeed of the Lake. I also enjoyed how the local characters in general were quick to pick up on his scheme. I don't think the Lake has as many deaths as this show! Though, I do not live there to hear local reports.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM

30 posts, read 53,749 times
I have not watched the program, but.
Take a look at this Water Patrol web site and see how many accidents and injuries have happened this year alone on LOTO.

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/WP...?searchTroop=F

After a quick look, I counted six drownings this year alone, on LOTO.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,926,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I watched the full first season. I enjoyed the pretty accurate regional references. While filmed in GA, it does seem to offer areal views that are indeed of the Lake. I also enjoyed how the local characters in general were quick to pick up on his scheme. I don't think the Lake has as many deaths as this show! Though, I do not live there to hear local reports.

Some of the show was filmed at Lake of the Ozarks...like the Lake shots, and local surroundings, but the day to day acting was done in Georgia.

I live in Missouri, but not from that area. But I do know this. We have a meth problem, and we have a heroin problem. I'll assume Missouri isn't the only place to have those problems...but we do.

I've been to Lake of the Ozarks a few times, and there ARE a lot of little quaint fishing lodges in the area. Some of them a little more run down than others, but there are a lot of them. So, the notion of a kind of run down fishing lodge/hotel/bar that could use an influx of money to fix things up is not outlandish.

The area IS rural, and the locals are going to sound like country locals...just like the folks on the show. What I liked a lot, was that though the characters of the locals DO come across as hicks...they weren't dumb hicks. Like a previous poster noted, most were suspicious of Marty right off the bat.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 PM

122 posts, read 215,827 times
WE ARE NOTHING LIKE THE ACTORS ON THE SHOW. The portrayal of life at the lake is ridiculous. I seriously hope people do not think this is what life at Lake of the Ozarks is like. It is not. It's a beautiful community that I am proud to call my home. People come from all over to enjoy water sports, dining, concerts and shopping. We have beautiful golf courses, winery's and so much more. Come see for yourself!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,710 times
Hi Adner,
I am wanting to move to LOTO. Really, anywhere between Truman Lake and LOTO. We are coming from the Dallas, Texas area. Any pointers, places to start, etc?
Thanks!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 PM

19,634 posts, read 9,956,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
WE ARE NOTHING LIKE THE ACTORS ON THE SHOW. The portrayal of life at the lake is ridiculous. I seriously hope people do not think this is what life at Lake of the Ozarks is like. It is not. It's a beautiful community that I am proud to call my home. People come from all over to enjoy water sports, dining, concerts and shopping. We have beautiful golf courses, winery's and so much more. Come see for yourself!
Reminds me of "Winter's Bone". It was a totally made up exaggerated movie about life in the Ozarks.
Winter's Bone (2010) - IMDb
In it, everyone is an addict and has a yard full of junk cars.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 30,985 times
There are some parts about the movie that are accurate to the Ozarks in general but not necessarily Lake of the Ozarks. The culture they are highlighting is more the type of thing you see around the rivers, not the lakes. The show makes everything look outdated and poverty stricken. Some places in MO are like that, but not lake of the Ozarks. The show WAY over-exaggerates the "redneck meth culture". If he relocated to a trailer park in Van Buren - then yes the show would be pretty accurate.

Winters Bone on the other hand, being set in Hollister (or one of those small towns east of Branson) - that show was not much of an exaggeration in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,117,142 times
I agree with adner; the portrayal was ridiculous. I'm sure there will be people who believe that the Missouri Ozarks are JUST LIKE THAT, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri