Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times

Advertisements

My 4 year old daughter decided that her favorite team is the Seahawks. I have no idea why - other than to upset her Chiefs fan father.

At least she isn't claiming to be a Jayhawks fan. That would require a serious sit down - maybe even harsh punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
Pros -- relatively safe, low cost of utilities, proximity to builtiful lakes, green areas
Cons -- not a lot of cultural events, far from major centers, people can be pretty close-minded and disconnected from the real world, lack of diversity

Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim123 View Post
Pros -- relatively safe, low cost of utilities, proximity to builtiful lakes, green areas
Cons -- not a lot of cultural events, far from major centers, people can be pretty close-minded and disconnected from the real world, lack of diversity
Jim, that's a good list of negatives that Southern Missouri wannabes should think about deeply, thoroughly and carefully.

They should think about the positives, too. It's "relatively" safe, but that's changing as more people move in. Same with the low cost of utilities and other costs. The beautiful lakes are becoming polluted, and the green areas are being chapped and 'dozed to make room for more development.

And the weather is extreme. I work near Fort Leonard Wood, and meet lots of people who are here for one- or two-year assignments. Literally every day someone complains about how hot it is. In the spring and fall when we get heavy rains, they experience flooding in the low-lying areas and want to get away ASAP. In the winter, they become acquainted with our ice and bone-chilling cold. ALL of them say they will be glad when their assignments are over and they can get the heck out of Missouri.

Even the military retirees say the only reason they settled here is so they could be close to the hospital and the PX. They say, "I'm stuck here."

Truly few Southern Missourians really like living here. I moved my family here from Georgia way back yonder in '53, and I love it here, but I am an exception.

People considering a move here because the land is cheap and the cost of living is low need to ask themselves, "Is it really worth it?"

Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Jim, that's a good list of negatives that Southern Missouri wannabes should think about deeply, thoroughly and carefully.

They should think about the positives, too. It's "relatively" safe, but that's changing as more people move in. Same with the low cost of utilities and other costs. The beautiful lakes are becoming polluted, and the green areas are being chapped and 'dozed to make room for more development.

And the weather is extreme. I work near Fort Leonard Wood, and meet lots of people who are here for one- or two-year assignments. Literally every day someone complains about how hot it is. In the spring and fall when we get heavy rains, they experience flooding in the low-lying areas and want to get away ASAP. In the winter, they become acquainted with our ice and bone-chilling cold. ALL of them say they will be glad when their assignments are over and they can get the heck out of Missouri.

Even the military retirees say the only reason they settled here is so they could be close to the hospital and the PX. They say, "I'm stuck here."

Truly few Southern Missourians really like living here. I moved my family here from Georgia way back yonder in '53, and I love it here, but I am an exception.

People considering a move here because the land is cheap and the cost of living is low need to ask themselves, "Is it really worth it?"

YouTube - The Missouri Pee-Pee Song

(warning to viewers - crude language and topic - this guy apparently DOES not like Missouri)

PS OB - are you trying a different tactic here??

Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
LOL Did the Video help South Carolina win the game??

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post

YouTube - The Missouri Pee-Pee Song

(warning to viewers - crude language and topic - this guy apparently DOES not like Missouri)

PS OB - are you trying a different tactic here??
(Nope, my same tactic, poor-mouthing the place so they'll stay away.)

Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Cali - viewing some of his other anti-Missouri video's, I think this guy is peeved we have a city named Charleston, same as his home city in South Carolina. He didn't strike me as the type of feller who cares one way or another about sports. We have a phrase back here usually used when referring to a rambunctious child - "that young'un is full of p-ss and vinegar".

In this case, the guy in the video was obviously full of the former

Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Cali - viewing some of his other anti-Missouri video's, I think this guy is peeved we have a city named Charleston, same as his home city in South Carolina. He didn't strike me as the type of feller who cares one way or another about sports. We have a phrase back here usually used when referring to a rambunctious child - "that young'un is full of p-ss and vinegar".

In this case, the guy in the video was obviously full of the former
They got a Charleston in South Carolina too..Well I'll be...Seems like as a youngster I've heard that saying, followed usually by another one...

Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Cali - I was wrong. In some of his other video's he does refer to Clemson as being HIS team quite a bit.

YouTube - 10 Missouri vs. 7 Clemson Highlights

Sour grapes maybe??

Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I think he's got a good take on Missourah. Why, add him to the other scoffers and nay-sayers who obviously know what they're talkin' about and I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would even visit, much less move here. Unthinkable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri