Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 7,440 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just got married . I own a house I have 2 kids we live in Franklin county mo. I had some medical issues that really made me rethink my life. It seems like keeping up with the Jones is what your supposed to do but I really don't want to do that. I'd like to just live a simple modest life and not beat my self to death working non stop. Would moving to the Ozarks offer a simpler life? Fewer people ect. Anyone who can name actual small towns worth checking out would be appreciated. We just want to live really simple and modest in a more rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 02:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda 1820 View Post
My wife and I just got married . I own a house I have 2 kids we live in Franklin county mo. I had some medical issues that really made me rethink my life. It seems like keeping up with the Jones is what your supposed to do but I really don't want to do that. I'd like to just live a simple modest life and not beat my self to death working non stop. Would moving to the Ozarks offer a simpler life? Fewer people ect. Anyone who can name actual small towns worth checking out would be appreciated. We just want to live really simple and modest in a more rural area.
You could probably find what you are looking for and not even leave Franklin County. The area east of Lonedell comes to mind. (May actually be Jefferson County)

If you feel like you need to be farther from St. Louis for what you are looking for, then you have a lot to choose from, but jobs aren't easy to come by either. Personally, I'd pick West Plains, but it is too isolated for most people.

If you are a bit more specific on what you are looking for, people could make suggestions based on that.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 7,440 times
Somewhere pretty rural and behind the times. Somewhere that's kinda old school without big business . A town where leaving the doors unlocked won't get you killed. I live in saint Clair and the town is full of heroin and drugs.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
I don't know how bad the drug problem is there, but it seems like they are an issue just about everywhere.

In Missouri, I'd say you've got Ironton/Arcadia/Pilot Knob, Fredericktown, West Plains, maybe Marble Hill, maybe Potosi? I don't know how bad the drug issues are in those places though, and I'm not really sure how you would go about finding out. Rolla had a pretty bad drug issue when I lived there a few years ago. It may have changed since then though. I also don't think it is particularly old school, but that is a matter of perspective I suppose.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Statistically speaking, the drug death rate (and, presumably, the drug usage rate) is lower in northern part of Missouri than in the Ozarks:
http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/...erdose_map.jpg

Old 11-10-2017, 03:48 PM

215 posts, read 283,087 times
You live in an area I think is the prettiest in the U.S. The Mark Twain Forest always called to me. You might consider staying put but rebooting your life. Often the urge to move is followed by the realization that you've moved your old baggage as well. That said, last time we were there we tripped out toward Onadonga, Merrimack Springs and some of the canoe launches along the Merrimack river. You may well find what you're looking for in that area.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:32 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,862 times
Ok you might want to check out Lebanon. 15K People, got nice Hospital and everything Big City has more Compact. Have Mark Twain National Forest on one side of the County and Bennett Spring State Park on the other side.

My wife has Government Job in Town. plenty Jobs and Good School, plenty Churches if this is important.

55 Miles to Springfield and 160 miles to St. Louis. Lake of the Ozarks is just to the North. We have a place by Warsaw on Truman Lake and I go fishing regular at Pomme de Terre Lake.

Got Old Order Horse and Buggy Mennonite community 20 miles to the West.

I don't know what else I can say to sell the area but we are happy here.

brushrunner

Old 01-10-2018, 01:19 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,334,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I don't know how bad the drug problem is there, but it seems like they are an issue just about everywhere.

In Missouri, I'd say you've got Ironton/Arcadia/Pilot Knob, Fredericktown, West Plains, maybe Marble Hill, maybe Potosi? I don't know how bad the drug issues are in those places though, and I'm not really sure how you would go about finding out. Rolla had a pretty bad drug issue when I lived there a few years ago. It may have changed since then though. I also don't think it is particularly old school, but that is a matter of perspective I suppose.
Only downside of living in southern MO, especially far southern MO is that you have to drive a long ways for stuff. Franklin county much closer to Stl.

I live in FL now and the area I live in you either have to drive 30 miles south, or 40 miles north for stuff. It sucks when you're used to live in South County, St. Louis county and everything was within 15 minutes of me.

Also coming from the Stl area one would think a town like West Plains and Fredericktown as redneck land. Right before I moved I had a guy from Fredericktown come to my house to buy some of our furniture because he sold used furniture. Nice guy, one of the first things he asked was what we thought about the removal of all the Confederate flags. This was because of South Carolina shooting you might recall when that craze to remove monuments started. He wasn't happy about them being removed.

Have you heard anything about if the flags will be restored at Pilot Knob and Higginsville? People down there ask them to pass a bill to restore them and the reps and senators say every year they will, yet they never follow through. I might contact Eric Greitens about this. However I doubt it will happen. He isn't the same governor as Matt Blunt, who the Blunt family btw has southern heritage in their ancestry and he only restored the flags on certain days of the year.

There is a lot of poverty in the Ozarks as well the further away from St. Louis you get. Especially South central Missouri. They don't have Table Rock or anything to bring in tourism.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:48 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,862 times
Well considering my Ancestors from Missouri fought for the Confederacy just because a small portion of the United States want to do away with anything to do with the Confederacy I think is total BS.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri