Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:03 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,964,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I get the impression KC may have felt like it was in stl’s shadow in the past. Today, though, not really. Neither one is really tearing it up on the national scene. Neither city trash talks the other that i am aware.
In my lifetime, I don't really recall it being a "rivalry" until the I-70 series in 1985. Perhaps it has been at the state level trying to get funds out of Jeff City, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Growing up in St. Louis, I don't think we thought about Kansas City very much except to consider it smaller and less sophisticated. I don't think that was a fair view, but reflected the relative histories of the cities. You could argue that KC is better off than St. Louis now.
Growing up in KC, most people never really thought about StL unless it was about sports, mostly the Cardinals, but also the football an soccer teams.

However, while you say that most people there thought of KC as being smaller and less sophisticated, most people in KC thought of StL as being ghetto and run down. I don't think most people thought of STL as being larger or more sophisticated, that's for sure.

I have always liked StL and tried to educate KC people about the city and when I showed StL to KC people, they were always very impressed. I think most people in KC see StL from I-70 and maybe areas like the arch, zoo and science center and that's pretty much it.

I'm not really sure why, but it has always seemed to me that people in JoCo Kansas were the ones that really didn't like StL (and they are the most clueless about the city). There didn't seem to be nearly as much hostility from MO side people that I knew anyway. Everybody I knew from JoCo seemed to hate StL with a passion and I don't think they even knew why.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
I've visited KC many times in the past and enjoyed the area. I have never even thought of it as a place to relocate to. Talking relocation, Chicago, Dallas and NYC are popular spots for St. Louis runaways now. In the 80's through the early 2000's, Atlanta was talked about often. Never hear mention from young people spreading their wings and flying to Kansas City or landing their dream job in KC.

As a visitor, I thought Kansas City was surprisingly sophisticated and under rated. I've never thought of it as a competitor to St. Louis. Not that it can't compete but there are some amenities missing such as corporate presence and decent transit. St. Louis seems more fitting for the title of small big city. Kansas City fits the bill to but not like St. Louis.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've visited KC many times in the past and enjoyed the area. I have never even thought of it as a place to relocate to. Talking relocation, Chicago, Dallas and NYC are popular spots for St. Louis runaways now. In the 80's through the early 2000's, Atlanta was talked about often. Never hear mention from young people spreading their wings and flying to Kansas City or landing their dream job in KC.

As a visitor, I thought Kansas City was surprisingly sophisticated and under rated. I've never thought of it as a competitor to St. Louis. Not that it can't compete but there are some amenities missing such as corporate presence and decent transit. St. Louis seems more fitting for the title of small big city. Kansas City fits the bill to but not like St. Louis.
I would agree. While I don't think StL has any more appeal than KC on a national scale, I have always preferred the more big city feel and built environment of metro StL over KC. StL just feels like a large urban metro where KC can feel like that in places and at times, but it's not the same at all. StL is not that much larger than KC, but it feels like a much larger metro to me and the people tend to be more big city types than KC which tend to be small town people living in a major metro. If that makes sense.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,136,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not really sure why, but it has always seemed to me that people in JoCo Kansas were the ones that really didn't like StL
I’m pretty sure the reason why is called “confirmation bias”.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
I’m pretty sure the reason why is called “confirmation bias”.
Possibly, it's just something I have always noticed personally. I think it derives from the KU/MU thing. Most people I know in JoCo are die hard KU fans and they pretty much hate anything that has anything to do with Missouri or MIZZOU and the core of the MIZZOU fan base is from metro StL. That's all I can think of anyway.

It also seems that people in the MO suburbs visit StL more often so they are more familiar with the city. Again, no way to confirm that, just a personal observation.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 AM

46 posts, read 69,873 times
I am not from either and I have lived in both St Louis and Kansas City as an adult. I live in KC (Waldo) now but have family in STL that we visit 3-4 times a year. I really like both and think they have +/-'s over each other. I will say, painting with a broad brush here, St Louis people definitely look down their nose at KC/most everything west of Chesterfield or St Charles. I'll add that KC people overall have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about St Louis. I actually think its worse on the MO side bc St Louis is such a force and presence in all things MO where as STL doesn't affect people on the Kansas side of the metro much.

Broad generalizations and opinions here but:
KC is a cleaner, newer, and nicer city. I think KC has a better young people scene and better nightlife districts. KC "looks" east to STL but also north to the Twin Cities and Omaha/Des Moines and south to Wichita/OKC/Dallas. Where as St Louis very much "looks" east and to Chicago. KC is much easier to get around and has a more efficient highway system. I think KC has more positive momentum as a metro. The light rail is short now but will be built out and they are breaking ground on a new airport soon. I think KC will have a downtown ballpark in the next decade but for now the location of the STL pro sports is much better than KC's. KC does have an MLS team and downtown arena (concerts, Big 12 tournament, etc) which is cool. Crime rates might be similar but I feel a lot safer in Plaza/Westport/downtown KC than I do in Soulard/CWE/downtown STL. Food scenes are both good. STL does pizza/Italian and Asian food way better, but KC does BBQ and Mexican/Tex-Mex way better. The best BBQ places in STL can go toe to toe with KC's best but KC just has way way more really good BBQ.

STL is noticeably bigger or at least seems that way bc you go through so many miles of suburbs coming from KC, and has a little more to do. STL zoo is way better and KC doesn't have anything remotely close to Forest Park. STL definitely has a more urban/city feel and the urban part of the metro is much much larger than the urban part of KC metro even if KC proper technically has more people than STL proper. I love the architecture and all the older brick houses/buildings. STL Cardinals are an incredible franchise and its great that they and the Blues play downtown. I actually wonder what downtown would be like if the Cards didn't play there, yikes. STL has better proximity to the Ozarks. It seems like the substance abuse problems are worse in and around STL than KC. Meth, heroin, and alcohol (and tobacco) seem to be bigger problems in STL. I think STL is the drinkingest city I've ever lived in which is just an observation, I like to drink just saying STL seems like it drinks more as a whole. Both cities have great areas and great suburbs.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 PM

309 posts, read 303,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
It's more of a Kansas City, Johnson County, KS, vs. Kansas City, MO, and Jackson County, MO, war left over from the good 'ole boy Bushwacker war. Now, dig in, son. There's more where that came from!

More like JoCo vs the rest of Greater KC. JoCo gets the same level of disdain from KCMO, KCK, Eastern Jax, the Northland, South KC, and Leavenworth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri