Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 04:27 PM

19,635 posts, read 9,956,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He cheated on his wife while she was pregnant. The same group who say that is all right are the ones who crucified Bill Clinton for cheating on Hillary.
No one answers this. Figures. (for the record, I don't like Clinton either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:44 PM

3,819 posts, read 3,250,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcD View Post
Just found this article in McCatchy

Want to know why Gov. Eric Greitens isn’t giving up?
Why isn't Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens giving up? | McClatchy Washington Bureau

I have some difficulty over the argument that "but it’s nothing the Democrats haven’t done,”.
I have tried in my life to live to a set of internal standards my mother taught me and not just based what others do. It has served me in good stead.
This, in no way, means I'm pro or con. I just have some quibbles over the viewpoint.
Basically the same article I posted. People who usually vote Republican will vote for him again.

It's the swing voters who are the ones that can go either way. Just like the democrats are not going to vote for him.

The two parties are more partisan now. It's not 40 years ago where both parties had similar ideas.

Most moderate and conservative democrats have switched over to the Republican party.

That is why in Missouri and the house and senate you really don't have any more conservative democrats left. Those seats switched to Republican the last few years.

Ben Hill of Hillsborough is one of the only conservative democrats left in the Missouri House. He votes with Republicans usually.

The late Keith English was another conservative democrat as well. Very pro gun guy and other than labor issues he was a republican vote typically. His last year in the Missouri House he left the democrat party and became an (I). I talked to the guy a couple times. His district's demographics were also rapidly changing as well. Last election a black guy ran in the democrat spot and beat him. English represented the dwindling number of white, blue collar workers left in north county. Most of those have moved out of north county. As he told me in that case the blacks voted for him because of the (D) next to his name.

Linda Black was a democrat and then switched to republican a couple years ago knowing a rural democrat was a rat on a sinking ship.

Keith English committed suicide btw earlier this year.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

Keith English committed suicide btw earlier this year.
WOW. I'm out of the loop obviously as I didn't know that.

I'll admit to being super critical of Keith English because of his history of alleged DV... but in my limited interactions with him personally, I found him to be very likeable.

Sad indeed.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
WOW. I'm out of the loop obviously as I didn't know that.

I'll admit to being super critical of Keith English because of his history of alleged DV... but in my limited interactions with him personally, I found him to be very likeable.

Sad indeed.
He got married only a couple years ago.

I still wonder if this was actually a suicide. Many in the democrat party and others hated him for obvious reasons.

He should have stayed a democrat because he would have been re-elected. Like I said the demographics in his district have changed a lot. It's a lot more minority than it was before and they will simply vote for the person with the D next to their name. That area has had a lot of white flight.

Sucks losing his vote though. It was nice having a democrat adding another vote to the Republican bills. He voted to override Jay Nixon's veto of permit less carry as well.

Former Florissant lawmaker found dead of apparent suicide | Political Fix | stltoday.com

Old 05-02-2018, 04:24 PM

Author: David A. Lieb, Summer Ballentine and Blake Nelson, Associated Press
Published: 3:12 PM CDT May 2, 2018
Updated: 4:10 PM CDT May 2, 2018

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A former campaign aide to Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens testified that he was duped into taking the fall when the governor's campaign was trying to explain how it had gotten a list of top donors to a veterans' charity that Greitens had founded, according to a legislative report released Wednesday
The report from a special House investigatory committee indicates that Greitens himself had received the donor list of The Mission Continues for the purpose of calling key supporters and explaining that he was stepping down as CEO in 2014. It says Greitens later directed political aides to work off the charity's list to raise money for his gubernatorial campaign — even though he had signed an agreement never to disclose the charity's confidential donor information.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Sounds like a crime to me.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:42 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,957,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No one answers this. Figures. (for the record, I don't like Clinton either)
Not really. The GOP in Mo is trying to get rid of Greitens.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Not really. The GOP in Mo is trying to get rid of Greitens.
True. Just like many of the Republicans in DC want to get rid of Trump.

Anyway, regardless of which party I think it's silly this is a crime. If they want to use a list from a charity he owns and those donors want to dish out their own money to a campaign then so let them. Who cares how a donor whishes to spend their cash.

It's not like this is the Clinton Foundation basically founded to earn the Clinton's a big paycheck.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:48 AM

935 posts, read 809,053 times
Quote:
I think it's silly this is a crime. If they want to use a list from a charity he owns and those donors want to dish out their own money to a campaign then so let them. Who cares how a donor whishes to spend their cash.
It's an issue because it violates campaign finance laws and jeopardizes the charity's non-profit status. Non-profits cannot be political and keep their non-profit status too. Otherwise, they're crossing the line into tax evasion (a PAC masquerading as a charity for the tax benefits while bilking people).

That's why the guy who run the charity today was so quick to throw Greitens under the bus and cooperate with Josh Hawley. The state and the feds could lower the hammer on the charity if they suspect that it's nothing but a con set up to raise money for Greitens' campaign instead of helping veterans. It would be real ugly for The Mission Continues if the IRS or Missouri Dept of Revenue came calling.

Greitens as well as the leaders of the charity could end up in Leavenworth on federal charges of tax evasion if they went down that road.

Last edited by RDM66; 05-03-2018 at 02:01 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
True. Just like many of the Republicans in DC want to get rid of Trump.

Anyway, regardless of which party I think it's silly this is a crime. If they want to use a list from a charity he owns and those donors want to dish out their own money to a campaign then so let them. Who cares how a donor whishes to spend their cash.

It's not like this is the Clinton Foundation basically founded to earn the Clinton's a big paycheck.
He signed a legal agreement NOT to use the list. And he does not OWN the charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri