Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 AM

936 posts, read 809,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcD View Post
Interesting article ... Look at Number 11

Here Are the Democrats Who Just Voted to Sell You Out to Wall Street;
https://splinternews.com/here-are-th...t-t-1823554660

It is surprising how many folks will vote against their own best interests. Ask a soybean farmer.
Oh, it gets worse. Since that article was written another shocking detail came out.

You'll never guess who the main lobbyist was who encouraged Congress to kill Dodd-Frank... It was former Congressman Barney Frank!

Barney is now a lobbyist for a bank, so regulating banks is no longer one of his priority. He's even willing to kill one his own namesake bills to make a few bucks... (screw the country).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ks-for-a-bank/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,056,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
At one time, people believed Senator Claire McCaskill was vulnerable, that she is in the Senate primarily because her Republican opponent was terrible. Missouri has voted Republican in several presidential elections, and Trump won Missouri in 2016. But will Trump’s problems energize voters in StL and KC and depress voters elsewhere in MO to the point that she has a good chance of winning re-election? The governor’s problems could add to Republican malaise.
Not only could she win, she will win re-election.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 PM

19,641 posts, read 9,962,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Hawley is not that popular. She could win easily.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:16 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,255,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Hawley is not that popular. She could win easily.
This is what I mean about swing voters. Hawley might not be the best, but he certainly is better than the liberal egg head McCaskill is.

Oh well some people like being governed by career hacks like her.

Down here in FL we have our own. Bill Nelson who's quite a bit more liberal than McCaskill and is really popular. However, Florida overall is quite a bit more moderate than Missouri is which is more to the right.

Rick the Slimeball Scott is running against him. I think Nelson edges him out still. Rick Scott is not that conservative anyway and signed an anti gun bill. In Missouri he'd be considered very moderate when compared to Roy Blunt.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:52 PM

169 posts, read 396,472 times
How can the term/label 'liberal' be applied to someone who votes to abolish banking rules that seek to limit the banking industries baser instincts?
If a 'liberal' is for conserving the environment, why isn't a 'conservative'.
If a 'conservative' is for preserving 'family values', why is a 'conservative' administration separating children from their parents as in the case of recent refugees?
If a 'conservative' is truly conserving our national resources, why are we going over a Trillion Dollars in debt with our new budget?
What difference is there between 'liberals' and 'conservatives' when it comes to bombing the crap out of brown people?
It seems more and more to me that we have two parties; The ones in control (The Innies) and the ones out of control (The Outies). I can not discern much other differences.I would be grateful to have meaningful answers to any of these questions.While I wait, here is a more informative article on just what the ramifications are of this bill.

Democrats are helping Republicans unleash Wall Street.
http://theweek.com/articles/774762/d...at-could-wrong

Last edited by HMcD; 05-26-2018 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Additional link

Old 05-26-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcD View Post
How can the term/label 'liberal' be applied to someone who votes to abolish banking rules that seek to limit the banking industries baser instincts?
If a 'liberal' is for conserving the environment, why isn't a 'conservative'.

If a 'conservative' is for preserving 'family values', why is a 'conservative' administration separating children from their parents as in the case of recent refugees?
If a 'conservative' is truly conserving our national resources, why are we going over a Trillion Dollars in debt with our new budget?
What difference is there between 'liberals' and 'conservatives' when it comes to bombing the crap out of brown people?

It seems more and more to me that we have two parties; The ones in control (The Innies) and the ones out of control (The Outies). I can not discern much other differences.

I would be grateful to have meaningful answers to any of these questions.
The simple answer is that neither party cares about the people. They are in it for what they can steal.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:17 AM

435 posts, read 174,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Absolutely not, unless there are yet more "shenanigans." She was appointed for her first stint. The first time she ran in an election, Todd Akin would have won handily if he had not shot himself in the foot with the ridiculously cringe-worthy incorrect comments regarding women being able to abort a rape-induced pregnancy. .
McCaskill beat an incumbent Jim Talent in her first election for Senator.

McCaskill definitely has an uphill climb, but I think a lot of people in the GOP, think that Trump's large victory is an indication that Missouri is more skewed than it is. Kander only lost by like 2.6% to Blunt. Statewide races are usually competitive.

Missouri voters didn't like Clinton. She is not on the ballot in November. I know two Trump voters that aren't fans of McCaskill, but think that Trump needs to have a check on his power. I voted for Johnson. I will be voting for McCaskill because I feel the same way. One party rule is a disaster. It was a disaster under Bush, it was a disaster under Obama and it is a disaster under Trump.

Each presidential election, either of the two main parties wins with like 48% of the vote and then acts like it is a mandate to force their most extreme policies on the 52% that didn't vote for them. It is nonsense.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
McCaskill beat an incumbent Jim Talent in her first election for Senator.

McCaskill definitely has an uphill climb, but I think a lot of people in the GOP, think that Trump's large victory is an indication that Missouri is more skewed than it is. Kander only lost by like 2.6% to Blunt. Statewide races are usually competitive.

Missouri voters didn't like Clinton. She is not on the ballot in November. I know two Trump voters that aren't fans of McCaskill, but think that Trump needs to have a check on his power. I voted for Johnson. I will be voting for McCaskill because I feel the same way. One party rule is a disaster. It was a disaster under Bush, it was a disaster under Obama and it is a disaster under Trump.

Each presidential election, either of the two main parties wins with like 48% of the vote and then acts like it is a mandate to force their most extreme policies on the 52% that didn't vote for them. It is nonsense.
True, whenever one party controls it all, it is a disaster. We are always better off when it is split. The less they can get done, the better it is.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:56 PM

3,993 posts, read 2,669,079 times
Given how strange elections have become recently, I don't know that it's smart money to bet on any of 'em right now. I remember the McCaskill-Akin election--I don't live in that area anymore, but I have a lot of friends and family who do, and McCaskill was pretty much hated by all sides (Republican *and* Democrat), until Akin, instead of taking a nap for the rest of the campaign (which would have been the smart thing to do), shot off his mouth about 'legitimate rape', and then my newsfeed did a 180 where the same folk complaining about McCaskill were just about ready to tar and feather Akin and ride him out of the state on a rail.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:54 AM

936 posts, read 809,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I think it's too early to predict what will happen to McCaskill. There is an ominous cloud hanging over this election: Robert Mueller is expected to release his final report around Sept. 1--only two months before the election. That will probably be a bombshell (more like a nuclear bomb). Mueller will probably find that Trump committed an impeachable offense. This mid-term election will probably be turned into a referendum on Trump. If Congress fails to deal with Trump immediately, there will probably be a massive blue tidal wave across the country.

I think Congress is anticipating this: Look at all of the Republicans who are retiring or standing down for this election, including Paul Ryan. They will not be beholden to the voters this November. They're free agents who can easily vote for impeachment without facing the wrath of the voters. One of the worst kept secrets in Washington is that many of these GOP congressmen despise Trump, so it will take little to convince them to take Trump out the door with them.

So the big question is not if Claire will win re-election, it's whether Trump will survive the mid-term election.

Tonight we might have got a taste of what is coming. My Missouri Senate district in Clay County held a special election: The Democrat (Lauren Arthur) kicked the Republican's butt by more than 20 points. (Yes, I voted for Arthur. ) The Democrats picked up a seat in the Missouri Senate today.

There was an interesting quote in the Kansas City Star article about the election

A Missouri Republican consultant, who asked for anonymity to speak candidly, said in a text message that "Every suburban Republican should be petrified tonight. This devastating loss signals they could lose this fall."

Clay County voters choose Democrat Arthur in special election | The Kansas City Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri