Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,094 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I am brown skinned guy and am visiting my gf in a small town that she is currently in for a while near Farmington, MO.

I have seen travel warning's for visiting the state, I have visited her in St. Louis and had no issues since is just a city like any other. I am wondering if there is anything i should be more aware of in the more rural settings.

Just thought i'd see if anyone had an opinion here, since this kind of warning could be a political thing etc.. Just trying to be vigilant etc.. As a visitor I don't want to cause any issues...

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 PM

3,821 posts, read 3,252,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGuy1 View Post
Hello there, I am brown skinned guy and am visiting my gf in a small town that she is currently in for a while near Farmington, MO.

I have seen travel warning's for visiting the state, I have visited her in St. Louis and had no issues since is just a city like any other. I am wondering if there is anything i should be more aware of in the more rural settings.

Just thought i'd see if anyone had an opinion here, since this kind of warning could be a political thing etc.. Just trying to be vigilant etc.. As a visitor I don't want to cause any issues...

Thanks for your time!
Most of that is false.

Regarding Farmington, I know from time to time you hear about KKK activity in the Parkhills, Bonne Terre, and Pilot Knob areas but I think a lot of it is made up BS to get people fired up or MO to look bad.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:48 AM

19,638 posts, read 9,960,197 times
I live in s central mo. We have several officers who are brown-skinned. Don't see any problem here.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,168 times
You'll be fine, bud.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,333,121 times
All those "warnings" are nothing more than politically based BS.

Don't let that bother you at all.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:06 PM

15,963 posts, read 10,526,043 times
Let us know how it turns out...a lab rat of sorts. Decades ago I had employees who had some unpleasant episodes in some of the southern-most tier counties but that was probably before you were born. I lived in central Missouri for a long time and there were no problems to speak of. Farmington ought to be pretty mellow but let us know how it goes.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,094 times
Thanks for all the responses! Greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Most of that is false.

Regarding Farmington, I know from time to time you hear about KKK activity in the Parkhills, Bonne Terre, and Pilot Knob areas but I think a lot of it is made up BS to get people fired up or MO to look bad.
There's definitely KKK activity in those parts, but you'd have to travel waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of Farmington to find it. And even then it's hard to look for.

Anyways, you should be relatively fine as I have a few friends of color who live down in Farmington/Park Hills.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM

3,821 posts, read 3,252,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate 55 View Post
There's definitely KKK activity in those parts, but you'd have to travel waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of Farmington to find it. And even then it's hard to look for.

Anyways, you should be relatively fine as I have a few friends of color who live down in Farmington/Park Hills.
It's not like they're out in the open much.

It's funny how in 2008 Obama narrowly won Iron County. CNN even did a story on it because it's not the kind of place you'd expect him to do well in. Of course CNN trying to put race spin on it showing rebel flag bumper stickers and such on trucks down there and the likes.

It has to do with more poverty why Obama did so well in areas that usually shouldn't. Remember 2008 was the start of the recession/depression. Them people were really hurting down there.

I can't remember which school it was but if I recall there is a high school in that region that uses a rebel mascot. I can't remember which town but it's in that region of the Ozarks. Again that's not racist but that area has a rich civil war history as the battle of Pilot Knob took place there.

The Klan has been trying to get the battle flag put back up at that park. You might recall Pilot Knob was one of the sights where One Term Bob had the flag removed.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,715,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I can't remember which school it was but if I recall there is a high school in that region that uses a rebel mascot. I can't remember which town but it's in that region of the Ozarks.
There's a high school in Essex, MO called the Richland Rebels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri