Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Could you please explain what you mean by that comment? I don't know if you are being sarcastic, or perhaps sardonic?
I don't think there's any point now in trying to convince her otherwise.

It's like trying to convince my chihuahua that she's not a person. She won't believe me.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thanks so much, STLCardsBlues, its so nice to know someone missed me!
I feel the same way you do about the fine people of Missouri, my family having been there since 1699, I feel that I can say that with some authority.
Wow, 1699! That's a little before Ste. Genevieve was established as the first settlement (fur-trading post, I think) west of the Mississippi River. My ancestors came to Osage County (Dad's side) and I think directly to St. Louis (Mom's side) from Germany 150 years after your ancestors.

Anyway, the time I've spent in Cape Girardeau, the Arcadia Valley (Ironton/Pilot Knob) and Ste. Genevieve with my better half in 2006 while on vacation was admittedly rather limited. But our experience was overwhelmingly positive and not at all as the OP has described. It was much better than Daytona Beach in November 2003, which to me seemed closer to the OP's description of Missouri. We visited the public library in Ironton, and oftentimes visiting a public library can give you kind of an idea of what the broader community is like. There were many younger people using the public Internet terminals. They were quiet, well-behaved, and orderly. On this trip we visited Ft. Davidson in Pilot Knob and stayed at the motel that goes by the same name for two nights. Both lovely! I saw no riff-raff whatever. Everyone was courteous, professional and down-to-earth.

I just wish the OP the best and much happiness, and think the other C-D forums are invaluable in helping someone to glean info on what other communities throughout the country are like.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

It's like trying to convince my chihuahua that she's not a person. She won't believe me.
LOL! My 15-year-old shih-tzu thinks she has more in common with Queen Elizabeth than with the dogs over at our city dog parks!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:

Oh, I am sure of that, too. Seems like she is resentful of the fact I actually got through enough school to get a Masters????
BTW, your dog emailed my cat, I thought she was a person, LOL!

Last edited by kshe95girl; 03-23-2008 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: wrong person got emailed :D

Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 PM

Eric, my ancestor was a voyageur, came down the Mississippi from Quebec to Kaskaskia, and then across to Ste Gen when it was founded. Yes, it was fur-trading, and a point for getting lead to the river from Mine la Motte, and Mine a Breton.
You are soooooo correct about the Daytona comparision, I swear, the people around here make me nervous!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:05 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,331 times
They're called HOOOOOOOOOSIERS!!!! lol.

They're really nice, though. I got lost hiking south of Farmington and a nice older couple invited me into their home (clad with all sorts of rifles and taxodermy). So...oh well. The midwest is full of hoosiers. Maybe not your average latte-sipping crowd, but they sure are nice.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I've always thought of Hoosier as more of an Indiana term. In fact, I have never heard anyone describe as as Hoosiers.

But I'm not really sure how to describe most Missourians.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
this thread just shows the class act that the folks of MO are all about..sheesh I can think of a few forums where the op would have to be carried out onna stretcher after that opening diatribe (yikes, a big word....but then again I'm a transplant )

Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
They're called HOOOOOOOOOSIERS!!!! lol.

They're really nice, though. I got lost hiking south of Farmington and a nice older couple invited me into their home (clad with all sorts of rifles and taxodermy). So...oh well. The midwest is full of hoosiers. Maybe not your average latte-sipping crowd, but they sure are nice.
Quote:
I've always thought of Hoosier as more of an Indiana term. In fact, I have never heard anyone describe as as Hoosiers.

But I'm not really sure how to describe most Missourians.
We always called them hoosiers when I was growing up in SG, didnt even know what the heck a redneck was!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
this thread just shows the class act that the folks of MO are all about..sheesh I can think of a few forums where the op would have to be carried out onna stretcher after that opening diatribe (yikes, a big word....but then again I'm a transplant )
Thank you for the compliments! I have the feeling that some of the more feisty folks in our little community are gonna have a dust-up with this as soon as they get done with their Easter festivities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri