Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:43 PM

71 posts, read 299,313 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in Clever mo. out in the country and been here 14 months in this house, spent a year at a different house with three acreas also. Both places have a shop which I like. The first house had one already built this placce we had another one built. I am 68 and my wife is 67. We don't feel old but age is telling us different. I am wondering what indepdent senior living is all about. I would like to investigate this a little more in depth. I called a place in Nixa, I think it is called Castlewood senior living. Can any of you tell me is living in one of these places worth selling out and moving. I want to and at the same time don't want to. I am pretty active now and work part time at lowes. Gives me something to do and a little extra money. Is there anyone that can advise me on this. I will make a call and talk to them in person but I would like to hear from people that have lived this way and how you feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,044,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
We bought a house in Clever mo. out in the country and been here 14 months in this house, spent a year at a different house with three acreas also. Both places have a shop which I like. The first house had one already built this placce we had another one built. I am 68 and my wife is 67. We don't feel old but age is telling us different. I am wondering what indepdent senior living is all about. I would like to investigate this a little more in depth. I called a place in Nixa, I think it is called Castlewood senior living. Can any of you tell me is living in one of these places worth selling out and moving. I want to and at the same time don't want to. I am pretty active now and work part time at lowes. Gives me something to do and a little extra money. Is there anyone that can advise me on this. I will make a call and talk to them in person but I would like to hear from people that have lived this way and how you feel about it.
I can't speak personally, but I had an aunt that lived in one of those places. She liked it fine because she was a social butterfly. One thing about them is that even the ones where you are totally self sufficient, there are always people around. If that doesn't bother you then you should be fine. It is infinitely better to find one that is NOT run by any big corporation. Personally, I would be bored to tears to live that way, but that is me. Lots of people like it.

My aunt lived there until she was 99 and really appreciated having folks around to help her out. She paid A LOT of money to live there. Have you checked out Elfindale in Springfield? They have a lot of cool options and are good from what I have heard.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM

71 posts, read 299,313 times
Thanks for feedback

Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM

19,685 posts, read 10,015,636 times
Some of those places are pricey.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:47 PM

6,801 posts, read 11,445,114 times
My MIL lived in a couple of these. She enjoyed it, but the gossip and backstabbing and cliques were almost as bad as junior high.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM

19,685 posts, read 10,015,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My MIL lived in a couple of these. She enjoyed it, but the gossip and backstabbing and cliques were almost as bad as junior high.
I worked for some of those places, you are so right. And the residents tend to discriminate.

And one of the local ones has a couple of registered sex offenders living there.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM

215 posts, read 281,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My MIL as well. Crabbiest people I've ever met. The wife and I have sworn never to end up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri