Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM

15 posts, read 53,422 times

Advertisements

hello!
my boyfriend and i are most likely moving to columbia in a few months so that he can attend law school at UM. we currently live in columbus, OH and have never been to missouri so we don't really know any neighborhoods or decent places to live. we're 22, have no kids, and are both in college. we would like to find something similar to german village here in columbus, OH...basically an old, historical neighborhood with tons of charm. we're not really into the new developments and cookie-cutter apartments so an "older" neighborhood would be perfect. does anything like that exist in columbia or any near towns? we'd like to stay relatively close to UM but wouldn't mind commuting to UM. also, we're most likely renting, but buying isn't out of the question.

basically, just wondering if anyone could suggest any cool, "hip", historical places to live?!

sorry for the length/wordiness/rambling!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 AM

93 posts, read 305,256 times
Default Downtown Columbia

Hi there! I used to live in Columbia, I think you and your husband are going to love it! But I think you should get used to calling it "MU" because that's what everyone knows it as.

Downtown Columbia is very charming, and I know many married college students who live there and love it. I think it's as close as you can get to what you're looking for. It can get rowdy at night close to the nightclubs and bars; after all Columbia is 100% a college town! Very quiet though when the kids are on break.

I've known many people who moved to Columbia from other states, and I have never heard any of them say anything negative about the place. Try
ColumbiaTribune.com | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, MO and check out their news about goings on and places to rent. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 27,457 times
Don't live downtown, you will regret that forever. Try the Southwest , deep southwest. The homes there are nice and "older" but beautiful

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
There really isn't anything similar to German Village in Columbia. The closest areas that are similar are some neighborhoods in St. Louis or Hermann, which are way out of commuting range. Maybe Boonville will have something, but since your boyfriend is a law student, it isn't a great idea to live too far away.

There are some historic areas with places for rent surrounding the campus, but those apartments are mainly geared towards undergraduates who don't care as much about having clean and safe structures, or whether or not they are disturbing their neighbors with parties at 3 a.m. The area west of campus, west of Providence Road and south of Broadway will probably be your best bet, though you won't be walking to shops or restaraunts in that area. There are a few really nice apartments above the shops downtown that might work, but they aren't on the market as often.

Most graduate students rent pretty generic duplex areas in the southwest area of town. It is not as if they are spending much time at home anyway. The first year of law school, expect your boyfriend to be at the law library most of the time.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 PM

47 posts, read 231,999 times
I know there are a few lofts for rent right now but those are over near Walts Bike Shop, so not really walking distance to campus. I did see a sign on the old Central Dairy building today that there are luxury apartments for rent above it. Always loved those cute apartments above the stores in the old downtown area. TGS is right, I would try to find a rental in the Old Southwest area or near the Columbia Library. Or, also look at the Benton Stephens neighborhood. But, not really within walking distance. Biking yes.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM

16 posts, read 68,178 times
Yeah - a law student! I'm currently a 2L at Mizzou - I hope your boyfriend likes it!

I'm married, and we also wanted a place in a charming neighborhood. However, we looked around and ended up renting a "cookie cutter" duplex at Keenes Edge, on the east side close to Columbia Regional Hospital (a few months later, we bought a house on the southwest side and left the duplex). We found that most of the charming, historical houses have been split into apartments and the neighborhoods are crawling with undergrads. The old SW is a beautiful area, but realistically it is nearly impossible to walk to the law school from there (it would probably be 15-20 minutes by bike). If you can't find a loft right downtown, then the best advice I can give you is to find a nice apartment complex that does not allow undergrads (there are lots of them) and forego the charm of an old place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri