U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 24,887 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a few questions about the columbia, Mo area. I am a current high school senior and I have been accepted to Mizzou. Im from a decently sized city 150000-175000. My current gf has also been accepted and she lives about 20 miles from me in a small town with less than 3000 people. Though she does not come to my town a lot. I recently visited Mizzou Yesterday, and the student population was gone becuase of spring break. I like the school itself as far as what I have read about it and the way it looks. But honestly, columbia's population (other than students) does not appeal to me.. at all. I noticed what appeared to be a gang symbol spray painted on this trash can. It makes me wonder. Does the bad apples of columbia make their way on to the campus a lot, or do they normally stay away from school? I hear that the general rule of thumb for columbia is that everything below broadway street is okay, and everything new to the north is okay, and that streets like Ash, worley, etc. werent places to be. I drove through these areas on my way to the mall and I definently didnt like what I saw. Is the town of columbia decent other than these areas? Do the people in these areas tend to make their way to Mizzou? Do they mess around with things at mizzou a lot? Would it be safe for my girlfriend to walk around Mizzou and maybe downtown/dorm areas of columbia without barely any problems? Also, does anyone know how to alert the campus of the gang symbols located on the trash can, and underneath college avenue in the tunnel where it says "Missouri tigers" at the end really big in white letters it says "**** tease" is there a way to alert the campus so that they can remove/paint over it. It makes the campus look bad, but not as bad as the gang signs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 PM

47 posts, read 211,493 times
Congrats on your upcoming graduation! A very exciting time. As a mom walking with my children on campus, I feel safe. Walking downtown I feel safe. Driving through the neighborhood you refer near Worley and Providence, I feel safe. I would probably hesitate to walk around that area, but would if I had too. Drive Stadium or Broadway to the mall, and you will get a better idea. Working on campus for 13 years, I have not heard of "gangs" making there way to campus. Go to the university website at University of Missouri and you should be able to leave a message regarding what you saw for MU Police or Campus Facilities. Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,579,458 times
My 19 year old daughter is in her freshman year at Mizzou, she started off in the College Ave. dorm and moved to the Theta house after mid year break. She is very outgoing, working a part time job, involved with Theta, on a couple of advisory boards, etc. Because of that she is constantly walking all over the campus at odd hours. She does carry a cell phone everywhere but frankly I think if she had to yell for help about 50 guys would be there in 30 seconds or so.

I was worried at first (she’s my baby girl!!!) but after having spent a couple of weekends at the campus I am less worried. There are a ton of folks around when school is in, there are E-phones everywhere on campus. Pick one up and a cop has to be there 2 minutes. It’s pretty well lit, I think it’s about as safe as a campus that large can be. Now if you drift off campus to the bars and start mixing with the locals then you can find all the trouble you want. Just ask the Mike Anderson, the Tiger round ball coach about that. I am sure there is some jealously towards the college kids from the locals not so fortunate. Gangs? again, stay away from areas they frequent and you should be fine.

So, go where you need to go, stay away from where you don’t need to be and have a great time at Mizzou. It’s been a great experience for us so far. (Did I say she has a 4.0 GPA and made the Dean’s list in the first semester?)

BTW, a shocker for some smaller town kids is the class size...they can be very large and it’s totally up to the student to show up and get the work done. It’s awful easy to get caught up in the rec center and socializing instead of getting your work done. You have to be a self starter because no one is going to push you. Also, check out the FIGs or consider rushing, that seems to be the best way to establish a new group of friends with similar interests. Sam noticed that kids from her HS that got engaged in activities did better than the ones that didn’t. It’s a big campus with tons of peps but you can still feel very lonely without a good support group around you.

Sorry for the rant…hope this helps!

Go MIZZOU!!!

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 03-26-2008 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Added "in activities" I didn't want folks to think I was touting marriage.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, you see, I dont want to go to a school where I have to be afraid to leave campus. I dont want to be restricted like that.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM

386 posts, read 1,537,025 times
I'm not crazy about Columbia....but Mizzou is a very safe and very good school. Don't let a little graffiti deter you from a quality education.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 PM

938 posts, read 3,129,424 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Columbia is a nice and safe town. My stepsister and stepbrother both live there...my stepsister has lived there for 15 years of so, and they love it. Looking at the actual crime stats, statistically Columbia is safer than Springfield in every type of violent crime.

Columbia:
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Springfield:
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Property crime is also much lower (burglary, car theft, ect) in Columbia, being below the national average, while everything in Springfield is above the national average. Statistically speaking Columbia looks quite safe.

If you think Columbia is scary, try the southeastern quadrant of Washington, DC. I had to spend a lot of time there this summer when I had to work in the field. It was downright scary at times. Luckily I was there in daylight hours. Definitely a culture shock for a kid from a small town in the Ozarks like myself. But, I minded my own business, didn't bother anyone, and never had any problems.

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 06:42 AM..

Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,579,458 times
So your going to let a couple of graffiti marks scare you away from a great education at a great school? As Mike and Mike would say, you need to man up!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Great Apartments in Columbia, MO

So, I have enrolled for the University of Missouri and I have got an exclusion not to live on campus. Now for my problem. I would really like to know a few GREAT apartment complexes in the Columbia area. As far as location, I'd like it to be in the south (east or west is fine). If I have to drive 15 or 20 minutes to get to Mizzou, that's fine with me. In fact thats what I want. As far as price, Im looking for $1000 a month max. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:01 AM

69 posts, read 215,768 times
Trust me, driving 15-20 minutes to Mizzou each day is NOT what you want, it sucks.

If you live in the south, that won't happen anyway. The southern part of the city has most places within 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure of any place that would cost $1000 a month in the city. My house right now doesn't cost that much total with four people in it. It sounds like you'd want to live by yourself, so I'd recommend checking out Copper Beech. A furnished one-bedroom place is $650 a month there. If you're willing to live with someone, you can get a place for $460 there or cheaper elsewhere.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,901 times
I have just a general question about Columbia. Or maybe a question and a statement. Sorry, the English teacher in me... I've looked in many areas of the country and it looks like Columbia has pretty much everything we are looking for: reasonable real estate, nice downtown, colleges nearby, etc.

The question: anyone know how the high school teaching situation is?

Mostly, discipline, curriculum, collegiality, administration..... Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri