Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:06 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,989,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Right to work could go either way. Latest polls all have it about even with a few undecided.

Other than skilled trade unions like construction type work which pay good and have skilled workers, most of the unions are useless now and serve simply to take members money and enrich the big wigs in the union.

I worked for Shop N Save in 2003 and the UCFW was a farce. They took out big dues and start you near min wage and at the time after a certain amount of hours you got a 10 cent raise! The starting wage was just above min wage and McDonalds payed more money and no union dues for something useless and the newer workers are capped anyway.

Same BS pushing for 15 buck and hour burger flippers.
A union is only as good as its members. The union I was in for 37 years literally saved lives...…...you usually get back what you put into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,281,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
A union is only as good as its members. The union I was in for 37 years literally saved lives...…...you usually get back what you put into it.
That's why I don't see the point of most unions. Then the UCFW would always send me political BS to vote for some liberal candidate, more money wasted on paper that just got thrown away.

My big problem is they're way too political. I think that is another reason what lead to the downfall of unions.

Notice the last 15 or so years more union members are now voting Republican, especially the blue collar skilled labor ones.

The democrat party has gone so far left now it's the party of Pelosi and hippies and people like Stacey Newman.

Someone who lives in a pro gun place like Jefferson County isn't going to vote for someone like Stacey Newman.

Ben Hill of Hillsboro is about the only conservative leaning democrat left in Missouri probably. He votes pro gun and stuck by his veto override of SB656 when the other three democrats switched their vote on the veto override.

Bill Clinton during his second term and the AWB did a lot of damage to democrats and started the far left march.

Most voters who were conservative democrats switched over to Republican. Same thing finally happened in Kentucky two years ago.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:10 PM

8,683 posts, read 4,483,963 times
Quote:
No. Often, if the union has been around long enough to get laws passed that you must be a member to work, the members are merely slaves to their masters, farmed out to the employers.

The more you put into a union, the more corrupt it becomes.

I actually doubt they save any lives.
Would take some real facts to convince me otherwise.
(Most likely, they just took credit.)

Quote:

Bill Clinton during his second term and the AWB did a lot of damage to democrats and started the far left march.
It started before then, that was just when it became visible and undeniable.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
No. Often, if the union has been around long enough to get laws passed that you must be a member to work, the members are merely slaves to their masters, farmed out to the employers.

True, it started at the federal level sooner, back in the late 60s. In states like Missouri though the democrats were conservative though for the most part unlike in the northeast for example.

Like Missouri's congressmen outside of the one in stl and in KC were conservatives and they voted against the civil rights act for example. Missouri's two democrat senators took a lot of arm twisting by Lyndon Johnson to go along and vote for the civil rights act because they were reluctant to support it at first. Kentucky's were the same way but most of them supported the civil rights act voted for it except a couple from rural areas I recall. Then you had the faction of democrats from the northeast that were more liberal.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Railroad. We were being forced to work on a track adjacent to a live track with trains on it. Union asked{from members complaints} the company to allow us to place a slow track condition on the track trains were passing on. They refused. We went to the FRA...…...they drug their feet...…...We threatened to strike. The company relented. This was after about half a dozen workers had been struck by trains over a 5 year period.A union is basically worthless without it being a closed shop...…..

Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
True, it started at the federal level sooner, back in the late 60s. In states like Missouri though the democrats were conservative though for the most part unlike in the northeast for example.

Like Missouri's congressmen outside of the one in stl and in KC were conservatives and they voted against the civil rights act for example. Missouri's two democrat senators took a lot of arm twisting by Lyndon Johnson to go along and vote for the civil rights act because they were reluctant to support it at first. Kentucky's were the same way but most of them supported the civil rights act voted for it except a couple from rural areas I recall. Then you had the faction of democrats from the northeast that were more liberal.
My son in law works for the state of Missouri...……...has not had a raise in over ten years...…...

Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 PM

8,683 posts, read 4,483,963 times
Quote:
Railroad. We were being forced to work on a track adjacent to a live track with trains on it. Union asked{from members complaints} the company to allow us to place a slow track condition on the track trains were passing on. They refused. We went to the FRA...…...they drug their feet...…...We threatened to strike. The company relented. This was after about half a dozen workers had been struck by trains over a 5 year period.
This was quite a few years ago, wasn't it?
I know some Rail Workers, and they haven't mentioned it. (Of course, it might just be in a different part of the country, or a different company.)

Quote:
A union is basically worthless without it being a closed shop...…..
And dangerous to all involved, when they are a closed shop.
I know of a couple of them that simply evolved into a tax
agency, living off of money they extorted out of the
employees, whom they never did anything for.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
This was quite a few years ago, wasn't it?
I know some Rail Workers, and they haven't mentioned it. (Of course, it might just be in a different part of the country, or a different company.)

And dangerous to all involved, when they are a closed shop.
I know of a couple of them that simply evolved into a tax
agency, living off of money they extorted out of the
employees, whom they never did anything for.
which would be the opposite of my experience...……..My union dues when I left were about $700 per year....which all those dues were used for meetings and necessary expenses for our union representatives.....just "knowing" some rail workers does not equate to being an expert...…...

Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,351,167 times
If someone works at a place and doesn't get a raise in over 10 years and hasn't left for something better, that's on them.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If someone works at a place and doesn't get a raise in over 10 years and hasn't left for something better, that's on them.
I totally agree! Unless it was an easy and cushy job that didn't require a lot of stress and such then I'd stay maybe if I wasn't hard up for cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri