Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 30,999 times

Advertisements

I know the feeling when crossing the river. Or after I've been out west to look out the plane window on final approach into MCI at the green rolling hills of the northland. It's always nice to be home even though there are plenty of things to complain about. I grew up here, lived in several states over the years but eventually came back and appreciate it now more than ever. I like the fact that it's often overlooked or misunderstood by outsiders and a pleasant surprise when they come and take the time to experience more besides the interstate truck stops. The giant rivers and the towns along them. The wine country. The sprawling ozarks, forests, trails, caves, clear rivers and springs, lakes, and prairies and farmland. Summer floats down cold clear streams when it's 100 degress outside. Fall colors, cool weather, and friday night football games. We get to experience a taste of every type of weather imaginable. I like that it's a state that is neither distinctly eastern or western. Some parts are like the south. Some parts are midwestern. STL has the look and feel of an old north-eastern industrial city where KC has kind of a laid pack western vibe to it more like Dallas, Denver.

On a side note - a LOT of people have moved here from California. It is not a new trend, started noticing it in the early 90s when California must have hit a tipping point. Now I'm starting to notice more people from the Pacific NW and Colorado. It's interesting that many people from the midwest are flocking to those states and driving up housing costs, traffic, and generally ruining the place while natives of those states are leaving in droves and coming to places like Missouri that are a little more under the radar. A couple from Seattle moved here and opened a coffee shop. Oddly enough another coffee shop is reportedly being opened by a couple from California. I've also got a friend here that grew up in Colorado. He loved Colorado and the mountains but said it had become too crowded and expensive and his hometown isn't even recognizable now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 04:44 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,258,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
[/b]

Actually, even though Trump got over 56% of the vote and Missouri has gone red for the past few Presidential elections, I disagree about being deep red.

In terms of registered voters, Missouri has 42% affiliated Democrats, 41% affiliated Republicans- of course the majority of the Democrats are centered in STL, KC, etc.

When I think of "deep red" states, I'm more inclined to think of places like Alabama or the Dakotas or Wyoming-
places where more than 50% of voters lean Red.
Actually, many border south and southern states still have more registered democrats than Republicans.

42 percent might be democrat but that is not how they vote in elections.

Hell, the only reason why Clinton won Missouri in the elections is because of Ross Perot. Factor in the Perot votes and give them to Dole and Bush and Clinton wouldn't come close to winning in MO.

Take out the Perot factor and Missouri has been voting Republicans for president since 1976.

Kentucky has 49 percent registered democrats compared to 41 percent republicans. Carter won Missouri but he also won all the other southern states except VA.

Many of those registered democrats are older people who used to vote Democrat back when the party was more conservative than it is now.

I would suspect a number of them live in rural Missouri in parts that once voted democrat 30 years ago. Alabama until about 25 years ago would still elect democrats. I would consider them deep red. Typically in these states democrats still fair a bit better at the state level.

In Missouri outside of the KC and Stl metro areas it's nearly impossible for Democrats to win elections let alone find any good candidates to run for house and senate seats.

States out West are different though. Though have been voting Republican a lot longer.

A big reason is the civil war. States like Missouri you have many people who didn't vote Republican due to the civil war, especially in southern and central Missouri.

After state level reconstruction ended in Missouri in 1876, Democrats generally dominated state politics.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:48 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,668,240 times
Sometimes I miss the rolling hills. The native flowers. The springtime. Or the lights on Thanksgiving on the Plaza KC.

Most times I try to stay away from winter.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:51 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,962,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Sometimes I miss the rolling hills. The native flowers. The springtime. Or the lights on Thanksgiving on the Plaza KC.

Most times I try to stay away from winter.
I'm not a fan of the winters either, but they could be worse. I love summer even though it's hot. I believe Missouri falls are sublime.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,962,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm527 View Post
I know the feeling when crossing the river. Or after I've been out west to look out the plane window on final approach into MCI at the green rolling hills of the northland. It's always nice to be home even though there are plenty of things to complain about. I grew up here, lived in several states over the years but eventually came back and appreciate it now more than ever. I like the fact that it's often overlooked or misunderstood by outsiders and a pleasant surprise when they come and take the time to experience more besides the interstate truck stops. The giant rivers and the towns along them. The wine country. The sprawling ozarks, forests, trails, caves, clear rivers and springs, lakes, and prairies and farmland. Summer floats down cold clear streams when it's 100 degress outside. Fall colors, cool weather, and friday night football games. We get to experience a taste of every type of weather imaginable. I like that it's a state that is neither distinctly eastern or western. Some parts are like the south. Some parts are midwestern. STL has the look and feel of an old north-eastern industrial city where KC has kind of a laid pack western vibe to it more like Dallas, Denver.

On a side note - a LOT of people have moved here from California. It is not a new trend, started noticing it in the early 90s when California must have hit a tipping point. Now I'm starting to notice more people from the Pacific NW and Colorado. It's interesting that many people from the midwest are flocking to those states and driving up housing costs, traffic, and generally ruining the place while natives of those states are leaving in droves and coming to places like Missouri that are a little more under the radar. A couple from Seattle moved here and opened a coffee shop. Oddly enough another coffee shop is reportedly being opened by a couple from California. I've also got a friend here that grew up in Colorado. He loved Colorado and the mountains but said it had become too crowded and expensive and his hometown isn't even recognizable now.
Yes, you state it better than me. Being in a cool clear Missouri stream in summer is really special. I've done that a lot in my life as our vacations as a kid were primarily floating the Current River with a little Lake of the Ozarks mixed in. Have floated many other rivers too as a teen and later. Haven't done it recently and I miss it. Had lots of fun on Shoal Creek in Joplin many many years ago.

I flew to Denver a few years ago on business and by chance sat next to an old colleague. Denver is hot as can be the mountains are beautiful but landing we both remarked on how we appreciate how green it is in STL. Which can be said obviously for the entire state.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:15 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,335,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
In terms of registered voters, Missouri has 42% affiliated Democrats, 41% affiliated Republicans- of course the majority of the Democrats are centered in STL, KC, etc.
Missouri doesn't have closed primaries so you don't register for a party or have any affiliation whatsoever when you do register.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Missouri doesn't have closed primaries so you don't register for a party or have any affiliation whatsoever when you do register.
True. That I think is based on polls, etc they get that estimate from.

Anyway, most states like Missouri and other southern and border states though you will find more people who self identify as democrats than Republicans even though they generally vote Republican.

I'm surprised it's only 42 to 41 percent in MO. I'd figure the self identifying would be a bit higher than that for democrats in MO.

However, Missouri completed the flip in 2002 to conservatives voting Republican instead of conservative or moderate democrat.

Jim Talent just barely lost to Bob Holden, Matt Blunt won after that, and Nixon won because of his name recognition. Eric GReitens being a former democrat and no namer was able to beat the popular Chris Koster by 6 points despite Koster having NRA endorsements.

I think Jay Nixon's veto of SB 656 helped Greitens win. Even in moderate districts like Ryan Silvey's, Ryan said he was getting bombarded from his constitutes to pass and then override Jay Nixon's gun veto.

I think with the (D) next to his name hurt Koster because of that. Remember One Term Bob lost in the primary and most blamed his veto of ccw and the abortion bill.

A number of democrats pleaded with One Term Bob not to veto the ccw bill because it would hurt him and he did it anyway. He lost a lot of rural voters, and the blue collar type voters in Jefferson County who are staunch pro gun.

If you want a true Purple State you need to come down here to Florida. Rick Scott won both times by 1 percent of the vote and we elect our major office holders in off presidential years. If Scott had to run in 2008 or 2012 he would have lost due to the higher democrat voter turnouts in presidential elections.

Many think Scott can knock Bill Nelson off but I think Nelson wins re-election. I can't stand Nelson. He's a lot more to the left than McCaskill but the voters seem to love him here in Floriduh.

I think here in FL we also get a democrat governor this year too. It will be close but the demographics are changing.

Trump won FL by one point. Trump won MO by 18 points. Besides a couple pan handle counties in North FL you won't find too many places in FL like you do in southern Missouri where it's far right Republican dominated.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:28 PM

92 posts, read 98,209 times
I wish Perot had won when he was running for President. I often wonder what our country would be like now if he had run. We sure wouldn't have had all the job losses due to NAFTA.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:47 PM

19,657 posts, read 9,967,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
True. That I think is based on polls, etc they get that estimate from.

Anyway, most states like Missouri and other southern and border states though you will find more people who self identify as democrats than Republicans even though they generally vote Republican.

I'm surprised it's only 42 to 41 percent in MO. I'd figure the self identifying would be a bit higher than that for democrats in MO.

However, Missouri completed the flip in 2002 to conservatives voting Republican instead of conservative or moderate democrat.

Jim Talent just barely lost to Bob Holden, Matt Blunt won after that, and Nixon won because of his name recognition. Eric GReitens being a former democrat and no namer was able to beat the popular Chris Koster by 6 points despite Koster having NRA endorsements.

I think Jay Nixon's veto of SB 656 helped Greitens win. Even in moderate districts like Ryan Silvey's, Ryan said he was getting bombarded from his constitutes to pass and then override Jay Nixon's gun veto.

I think with the (D) next to his name hurt Koster because of that. Remember One Term Bob lost in the primary and most blamed his veto of ccw and the abortion bill.

A number of democrats pleaded with One Term Bob not to veto the ccw bill because it would hurt him and he did it anyway. He lost a lot of rural voters, and the blue collar type voters in Jefferson County who are staunch pro gun.

If you want a true Purple State you need to come down here to Florida. Rick Scott won both times by 1 percent of the vote and we elect our major office holders in off presidential years. If Scott had to run in 2008 or 2012 he would have lost due to the higher democrat voter turnouts in presidential elections.

Many think Scott can knock Bill Nelson off but I think Nelson wins re-election. I can't stand Nelson. He's a lot more to the left than McCaskill but the voters seem to love him here in Floriduh.

I think here in FL we also get a democrat governor this year too. It will be close but the demographics are changing.

Trump won FL by one point. Trump won MO by 18 points. Besides a couple pan handle counties in North FL you won't find too many places in FL like you do in southern Missouri where it's far right Republican dominated.
Problem with the senate race. Most people don't like either one.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Problem with the senate race. Most people don't like either one.
I will probably vote for Scott. If I decide not to out of spite it certainly wouldn't be Bill Nelson lol.

Both races will be close. I still think Nelson edges out Rick Scott by about 3 points. In Missouri it's a toss up. Being it's a midterm election with lower voter turn outs which typically favor republicans I think Hawley edges McCaskill 3-6 points. Claire is viewed unfavorably, polls always show this but all because she's viewed unfavorably doesn't mean democrat voters will not vote for her. They might not like her but will still vote for her because she's a democrat.

Just like Roy Blunt polled low on favorability but still won re-election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri