U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 PM

1,445 posts, read 952,717 times

Advertisements

Also to relate to this thread, Greene, And Christian Counties are seeing a lot of growth like other areas of the sun belt and to an lesser extent Branson.

Over time could this dilute the Ozarks, and upper south cultural influence and make it feel less southern? I've seen a few people from down there saying years ago it felt more southern before the growth started and was a lot more rural.

Also, where are these people moving from? Is it the surrounding Ozarks areas, or is it people from the upper Midwest and parts that are not southern?

The area is still pretty conservative though. Here in FL it has become more liberal gradually.

I know the Table Rock, Branson area northerners are retiring there due to the milder climate and the Lake, but the Springfield area is it people moving there for jobs and jobs at the university?

Granted it still gets cold in the southern Ozarks but not like it does in northern MO or the upper Midwest. Doesn't snow as much and you get a lot of mild winter days still and usually just slap a jacket on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM

1,445 posts, read 952,717 times
People argue about the percentage of Missouri that is Midwest and southern and the influences, but no other Midwestern state I see news stories like this as often as in MO. Southeast MO people fly it too on their trucks.

I don't see this hardly often come up in IN, OH, MN, IL like you do in Missouri.

Granted Seneca is in a section of the state way south in the state and would be considered more southern, but still.

High School in Neosho a lot fly it too on their cars.

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/loc...91d26200e.html

Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 AM

18 posts, read 12,112 times
I have traveled all around the US and understand from your posts how you feel, but am in my 30's. We moved often growing up from Pennsylvania to Kansas (not far from Missouri border) and from age 9 on Texas. I liked parts of Tennessee and other states (Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia) but want this move to be long term and for myself, not parents or siblings. That is a lot of why I was trying so hard to not go further north than Tennessee/Virginia. My situation is a little unique as I am single and hoping to open a small business so taxes and local zoning rules affect me and others a bit differently than moving needing a place to live, whether with a family or a spouse, also needing land for livestock, etc. I liked Ohio and Indiana but am leaning more towards Indiana. I do like Alabama and Tennessee but feel more like home further north. It is also closer to Pennsylvania. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or