U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 PM

89 posts, read 157,578 times

Advertisements

Haven't spent much time in the state (though a lot of older relatives hail from there), but I found the little towns of Hermann and Augusta to be beautiful, scenic, and utterly charming.

A bit off the beaten path, I admit, but gorgeous and friendly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 10:35 AM

451 posts, read 208,859 times
If you're day trading, I assume you will want quality high speed internet access. So I wouldn't get too deep into the Mark Twain where you will be left to choose between DSL or Satelite. Rolla, St. Clair, Cape, Poplar, Lebanon, Farmington, Park Hills or JeffCo is where I'd look.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:53 AM

10,095 posts, read 18,319,882 times
I found a really pretty part of MO last year when I drove up from St. Louis to Hannibal. It seems like there were a lot of tourists there at one time but not so much now. It’s gorgeous there though. Also I’m looking at St. Gen to possibly settle down when I get back to the states. It has everything I want, including a reasonable distance to St. Louis.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I found a really pretty part of MO last year when I drove up from St. Louis to Hannibal. It seems like there were a lot of tourists there at one time but not so much now. It’s gorgeous there though. Also I’m looking at St. Gen to possibly settle down when I get back to the states. It has everything I want, including a reasonable distance to St. Louis.
You drove along the river bluffs and stumbled upon cute little towns like Clarksville and Louisiana. I agree, that is a more beautiful area of the state.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:29 PM

10,456 posts, read 3,909,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I am from Illinois, and currently live in SW Idaho. I wish to get back to the scenery more typical of living in the Midwest (trees, hills, rivers forested on both sides, etc). Missouri will be the first Midwest state I will come to as I head East on I-70, and quite frankly judging by its geography alone, I can't see why I should go any further. (yes I know Kansas comes first, but I am not interested in a High Plains state). I grabbed a random "street view" on Google Maps of an area in Missouri and the scenery was everything I hope for. This random shot turned out to be a rural area outside of Excelsior Springs. I am a man aged 60s with a couple of cats. I plan to day-trade for a living, and therefore I don't worry too much about employment. But even if I did find employment, I don't need to live in a high-powered city. Perhaps if I can find a small city that has an industrial base, and one with scenic countryside this would be all I would need. Can you give me some ideas? Basically my only need is a Walmart near-by (within 5 miles). Thank you.

ps... I do want to live in a desirable, or semi-desirable town. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where everyone looks depressed hahaha. Yet I don't' want to live in an expensive place. I doubt there are many towns in Missouri that would be deemed expensive, however.

Augusta, Marthasville, Defiance, Foristell, Sullivan, St. Claire, Boubon, Warsaw, ANY of the little burbs around Lake of the Ozarks. Check them out.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:37 PM

215 posts, read 204,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
If you're day trading, I assume you will want quality high speed internet access. So I wouldn't get too deep into the Mark Twain where you will be left to choose between DSL or Satelite. Rolla, St. Clair, Cape, Poplar, Lebanon, Farmington, Park Hills or JeffCo is where I'd look.

Very good point. Check out CoMo which offers fttp to homes, 1Gig service, in some very outlying areas. Most of the north side of Lake of the Ozarks has it available as well as many of the towns in proximity to Columbia, MO. https://www.co-mo.net/residential/in...r-residential/

Old 10-16-2019, 06:18 AM

7,171 posts, read 10,683,686 times
Article from the Salem News which discusses the lack of high-speed broadband in rural Missouri.

Missouri

Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 AM

10,095 posts, read 18,319,882 times
OP, I don’t want to turn this into politics but it’s a consideration for a lot of people. If you’re conservative you will find kindred souls almost anywhere in MO. But if you’re more liberal and prefer some likeminded people you’ll want to choose more carefully. Though even in SEMO there are liberals so you never know.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Article from the Salem News which discusses the lack of high-speed broadband in rural Missouri.

Missouri
Yeah, but our four toothed GOP legislature thinks churning out fork lift operators is the best path to economic strength and longevity. Subsidizing high speed internet so that our rural communities can compete is nowhere near their radar.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:54 PM

884 posts, read 1,780,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Yeah, but our four toothed GOP legislature thinks churning out fork lift operators is the best path to economic strength and longevity. Subsidizing high speed internet so that our rural communities can compete is nowhere near their radar.
I am in rural Missouri. About as rural as it gets and in one of the poorest counties in the state. I have DSL service more than fast enough for streaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri