Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 01:14 PM

26 posts, read 45,268 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are looking at the Cape Girardeau area to potentially relocate to from Georgia.

We are in our mid-30s, early-40s, no kids, no pets.

I've been looking up crime statistics, since its a big factor for us and don't want to move to a place that has a worse crime rate. It would be nice to move to a place that has a lower crime rate compared to where we are. And the stats seem to be a little more than where we live now in all areas, but looks like they have more murders and overall violent crime there... I saw that their were like 5 murders 2 years ago. Seems like a lot for 1 year span for a small-ish community.

The population is about 12,000 more than where we live now.

Anyways, does anyone know if most of these crimes are because its a college town and the college kids are getting into trouble? Or are their a lot of gangs?

What areas should we avoid? Are the crimes only concentrated to certain streets or areas? Are the police proactive on controlling it?

We would like to rent a house, so nothing more than $875/mo.

I would need to get a part time job somewhere, and I was thinking at one of the art related stores, galleries or one of the museums since my background degree is arts related.

I don't want to feel like I need to watch my back every 5 seconds if it's that bad there, and worry about a home invasion etc...

Any locals can give any input would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 02:30 PM

451 posts, read 365,188 times
Not a local but from nearby and have spent a lot of time there.

First, you're way too hung up on crime. Don't deal drugs and you will be just fine.

South Cape is more depressed than other areas so you're likely at greater risk for theft around there. However, I had a good friend that owned a house in South Cape and never had an issue with property crime.

In conclusion, don't be a drug dealer and you almost certainly won't get murdered. Act with common sense and you likely won't be a victim of property crime. That means, don't leave valuables in your car, lock your doors and windows and install a security system. Those things should be done no matter where someone lives.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyeve1 View Post
Me and my husband are looking at the Cape Girardeau area to potentially relocate to from Georgia.

We are in our mid-30s, early-40s, no kids, no pets.

I've been looking up crime statistics, since its a big factor for us and don't want to move to a place that has a worse crime rate. It would be nice to move to a place that has a lower crime rate compared to where we are. And the stats seem to be a little more than where we live now in all areas, but looks like they have more murders and overall violent crime there... I saw that their were like 5 murders 2 years ago. Seems like a lot for 1 year span for a small-ish community.

The population is about 12,000 more than where we live now.

Anyways, does anyone know if most of these crimes are because its a college town and the college kids are getting into trouble? Or are their a lot of gangs?

What areas should we avoid? Are the crimes only concentrated to certain streets or areas? Are the police proactive on controlling it?

We would like to rent a house, so nothing more than $875/mo.

I would need to get a part time job somewhere, and I was thinking at one of the art related stores, galleries or one of the museums since my background degree is arts related.

I don't want to feel like I need to watch my back every 5 seconds if it's that bad there, and worry about a home invasion etc...

Any locals can give any input would be great. Thanks.
Stay north of Broadway or west of Kingshighway and you should be fine. Not sure how the rent prices will be, they may be a touch high due to it being a college town. Jackson may be a really good choice for you also, it is the county seat and borders Cape Girardeau.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM

151 posts, read 107,094 times
The crime index is 392.

Many,many cities in the US would be proud to have one that low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri