Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

I was in Livingston county MO and loved it. Something about the black dirt and the fantastic crops it will grow. Very good people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM

93 posts, read 305,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
I'm gonna go on a limb and assume we're talking about Central and SW MO here...

Moved away from St. Joe, and was happy to do so.
Northern Missouri is the only place I've ever regretted moving away from. My family is thrilled to be back. To each his own, I guess.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I'm glad you moved away too!!!

Take care

See what I mean? That's St. Joe for you. Always welcoming (sarcasm). The transplants were fine, but many of the natives were like this.

It's the only place in the midwest I feel this way about. I miss KC, the Ozarks, etc...badly.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
I happen to be a transplant to this part of the state... People around here have been welcoming to me.

Missouri is a great state.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I happen to be a transplant to this part of the state... People around here have been welcoming to me.

Missouri is a great state.

My experiences everywhere but IN St. Joe were fairly good, and there were some that were welcoming. The whole place just wasn't my taste due to the bitterness and union mentality.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
It's great to have new people move into our state--IF they really like it the way it is. If not, why not just stay where you are or go somewhere else. Yes, I get a little cranky sometimes with newcomers who move here and then gripe that we don't have this, that or the other. For instance, I was in a store and a woman, wife of a professor who had just moved to our state university campus in Rolla, I think, was complaining to the store owner that Rolla NEEDS a mall, a Target, an Olive Garden, blah, blah, blah, blather. In other words, Rolla NEEDS to be like all the other towns she has lived in or visited. Of course, you'll hear natives say the same thing. Just about everybody around here, it seems, wants to homogenize this area with everywhere else--and now I am on a rant, and I apologize. If you have moved to Missouri and love its rich history and heritage, I'm glad you're here. Otherwiee ... well, enough said. I'm gong to shut up.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
It's great to have new people move into our state--IF they really like it the way it is. If not, why not just stay where you are or go somewhere else. Yes, I get a little cranky sometimes with newcomers who move here and then gripe that we don't have this, that or the other. For instance, I was in a store and a woman, wife of a professor who had just moved to our state university campus in Rolla, I think, was complaining to the store owner that Rolla NEEDS a mall, a Target, an Olive Garden, blah, blah, blah, blather. In other words, Rolla NEEDS to be like all the other towns she has lived in or visited. Of course, you'll hear natives say the same thing. Just about everybody around here, it seems, wants to homogenize this area with everywhere else--and now I am on a rant, and I apologize. If you have moved to Missouri and love its rich history and heritage, I'm glad you're here. Otherwiee ... well, enough said. I'm gong to shut up.
AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. You just hit the nail on the head. This is a universal problem. Let MO be MO and AR be AR. Take a lesson from FL. FL is no more. Yes it is on the map but the old FL is no more. I'm ready to move back to MO or maybe AR or OK. MO is great the way it is without any homogenization. I'll hush to but you can believe my mind is still going like a freight train.....

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
I "get" that, Ozarksboy! We feel that way about people coming to America, as well.

I admit that everything hasn't been rosy for us since coming to MO but not once
have we wished to go back to the madness that is California. I admit,
we've missed some of the great restaurants and food but if bringing them here
would make this place like CA, forget it! We'll do without!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Default Enjoy MO for what it has to offer...

Just had to pop in to say that the nearly 5 years I lived in Missouri were (in hindsight) actually pretty wonderful Of course, I didn't appreciate it at the time, and spent most of the time wishing to go back home to New England! (When DH's employer moved operations from Massachusetts to STL, there was an offer he couldn't refuse, and our family relocated to St. Charles County for the opportunity that it gave him. Of course I was always looking at the half-empty glass--no family, friends or ocean!) Have to say that we met some of the greatest people ever, they made us part of their circle of friends, we did the float trips, the wineries, the parades... Learned that you take cover when the sky turn yellow/green (had neighbors come outside to tell us we were under tornado warning and to git to the basement!) A lesson to those lucky enough to spend time in Missouri--enjoy it while it lasts! We got home to New England, and had to buy a house 40 years older (and 40,000 higher priced!) than our beautiful home in St. Charles County! No free science museum, no St. Louis City Museum, no St. Peters Rec Plex, no Tumble Drum... No Katy Trail, no airshows at the Chesterfield Airport, no wineries to visit on Sunday afternoons... Like I said, enjoy it!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
Great post, Valerie! I really appreciate your honesty, too!
You've shown another side of the coin and that's almost always a good thing.
Ohhh, the many things we learn with our 20/20 hindsight, huh?

Hugs!

MrsG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri