U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM

870 posts, read 2,794,584 times

Advertisements

If you don't look at but one picture, be sure you take a look at the last one so that you will know what the brown recluse spider looks like!

It's springtime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles.....garages, toolsheds, attics, etc. Be very aware.
This guy was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider.

http://f573.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f339414%5fAENlxEIAAKJcSBlWsQu7pEdh sSk&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)

Day 3
The following illustrates the progression of a brown recluse spider bite. The affected skin actually dies on his body!
Day 5
Some of the pictures towards the end are pretty nasty, but take a look at the last one - it is a picture of the spider itself.
http://f573.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f339414%5fAENlxEIAAKJcSBlWsQu7pEdh sSk&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)Day 6
The Brown Recluse Spider is the most dangerous spider that we have in the USA

http://f573.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f339414%5fAENlxEIAAKJcSBlWsQu7pEdh sSk&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)Day 9
A person can die from it's bite. We all should know what the spider looks like !

Tell all the people you love, because it is almost summertime.
People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning, and sometimes be in their attics.
http://f573.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f339414%5fAENlxEIAAKJcSBlWsQu7pEdh sSk&pid=6&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)
The Dangerous Brown Recluse Spider

Please be careful. Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent and highly negative consequences.
They like the darkness and tend to live in the corners of closets, in old shoes, storage sheds, boxes in attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.
If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work!
Awareness is half the battle! Be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,579,458 times
That spider looks amazingly like a red X ...

Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 PM

48 posts, read 148,954 times
I had to chase a black widow out of the darn closet today. It was a tough battle but I overcame!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,728 times
Was orginal from Ca, most of my family lives west Tenn, Jackson/Memphis. My cousin was bit from a recluse that had crawled in his jeans bit him in upper thigh several yrs ago. He lost most of his upper thigh/and they grafted where they could. West tenn is covered. I had when I lived there hundreds in my outdoor shed. Find alot in barns as well.
When I moved west, my daughter was on third dorm floor at KU, was bit in behind. Luckily new doctor there marked bit with perm marker. by third day it had grown out of circle and she couldnt sit down. She was givin a shot in that spot and a package like paste stuff. cleard up. That guy on ball. Also agree, was told now by more research and "old school" docs that they love the pesticide, unfortunately they're getting immune to pesticide , which doesn't help the old humans out. Tennesse is home, I love the area, if you move there you will too, but you do have issues with crawley things , and tornados, copperheads etc. appreciate the habitat and beware. I'm now in Colorado, beautiful too, but we have seen more and more recluse here as well.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 AM

774 posts, read 1,269,655 times
We did a lot of research before moving to MO about the creepy crawly things here. When we saw the brown recluse (Indiana also has them but not as many as here). Hubby found a Brown Recluse First Aid Kit on the internet and ordered 3. It is a white box with a bottle of liquid and a bottle of powder that you mix together and put on the bite. Come to find out it was from a company in Ava, MO. So instead of having it shipped to Indiana we had them ship it to our Ava address since we were going to be there in a few days. We keep one kit in the truck, one in the garage and one in the house.
Luckily we have not had to use it.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:03 AM

9,597 posts, read 17,179,613 times
We had an overabundance of them one year and I called pest control. He sprayed, but told me the most effective way to keep them down is to put glue traps in dark corners and sweep the eaves every week. Sure enough, that did control them and I never did have a problem though we lived in a pretty concentrated area for them.

One thing you want to keep in mind is to not throw your jeans on the floor at night, or if you do, shake them out. Also shake out any clothes that have been in the closet for awhile. Don't have too many clothes packed into your closet. Work gloves while working outdoors or in a shed are highly recommended.

I always had activated charcoal powder in my first aid kit, and if I would have been bitten, I'd have made a paste of that and put it on the wound. It's supposed to suck out the toxins. I would still go to the doc, but the paste would go on first thing.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Default stupid pictures!

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/mospider/images/spider20.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Default More info...

Protect yourself from Brown Recluse Spiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri