Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,618,890 times

Advertisements

I just noticed a new one in Poplar Bluff.....
I’ve only been to one once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 02:41 AM

8,604 posts, read 4,433,148 times
I doubt you will see one in Ellsinore.
You don't want one there, anyway.

Find someone who wants to run a coffee shop, and support local business.
That way, the money you spend there stays in your community,
instead of being sent to some other state.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,116,419 times
You done any morel hunting since you’ve been in MO? If I had 28 acres in MO I’d be doing it every year. The yellow eastern morels that grow in MO blow the black morels on the west coast out of the water and are much easier to find. Tastiest food in the world, IMO.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:25 PM

BlueFox
I regret to inform you that I have not done any Morel hunting

Old 11-14-2020, 10:41 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,888,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I was wondering the same. I'm also wondering what county your are in Cali?
The ocean most likely

Old 11-27-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

Just wondering when Starbucks will set up shop in Ellsinore.
Just noticed a new one in Poplar Bluff....

Old 11-29-2020, 10:23 AM

416 posts, read 404,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well it’s been 5 years now since I retired and moved to South East Missouri from The suburbs of Northern California...
Went from 3 bed, 1 bath on 100x60ft lot to a twice as big 3/2 on 28acres.....
It’s been great, nice people, beautiful countryside, heck I’ve even got a little use to the humidity.. The cold in the winter is tougher on me than the humid summers.
My retirement money certainly goes a lot farther here than in Ca. We’ve met some great people who are very helpful in converting me into a country boy...
So far so good, only advantage Ca has is better weather and better fishing, but life in general is better in Mo IMO
Bassman
Curious if you get bored? Leaving California myself and while it’s crazy dysfunctional I worry I’ll miss the energy.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:12 PM

914 posts, read 2,188,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Curious if you get bored? Leaving California myself and while it’s crazy dysfunctional I worry I’ll miss the energy.
Your concern is not unfounded. It is different here.

About two months ago I was called out to California (funeral). While it was good to see family long unvisited, I spent almost every moment looking for a graceful way out. And in fact managed to get away after about 30 hours by pleading the long drive home.

In much of California, as in large urban areas across the country, the inhabitants talk about the "energy". Some use other terms, but they all seem to mean something about the pace of life, an intensity of experience, even a hint of recklessness.

I am trying hard not to be judgmental, but it appears much like the addict's search for a continuous high without the corresponding and inevitable down. There is much energy in a hurricane, but the dangers are all too real and in the calm aftermath the destruction is forever. I ask - how much of that "energy" has led to the dysfunction so many are now wanting to escape?

We sit around tables at small cafe's drinking Folger's coffee and crack jokes with people we have seen for years, yet scarcely know. We arrive very early at church to sit in a quiet pew to share a special moment with He who made us. There are times along well known paths through the woods when no words could ever explain why we come again and again and again. We are the fisherman who forgets to bait the hook. We believe a good tomato from our own garden is a prize beyond measure.

Today was grey and gloomy virtually all day. But at sundown the clouds parted enough to fill the horizon with reds and golds most glorious. I've seen it before, perhaps thousands of times now. But I would not trade any amount of time at clubs, concerts, theaters, or sporting events for even one more like it.

Last edited by Arrby; 11-29-2020 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 12-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
No not really, the energy you speak of is what so call Madness. Everyone is always in a hurry and angry...
Why be in a hurry to go sit in your damn car on the freeway....
I’d much rather feed deer and sit on my porch.. spent 15 days there in September and couldn’t wait to get out of the madness or as you call it, energy... honestly if you are not ready to slow down, don’t leave Ca

Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,568,165 times
The difference in fishing Mo vs. Ca?

Easy.

A "whopper" in Mo, is bait in Ca.

The other thing that's different?

In Mo, you have "noodling."

No one would dare try that in Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri