Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri really "Misery" to you?
Yes 24 38.10%
No 39 61.90%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 04:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
This is what makes Missouri “Misery.”

MO House Bill 2810 is a laundry list of ways to deny MO women their freedom and life. Banning abortion of an ectopic pregnancy?? Ectopic pregnancy - full stop - is non viable for both the fetus and mother. The hayseed moron, Rep. Seitz of Branson, who wrote the bill, “told a House committee Wednesday the bill "does nothing to curtail" legal procedures to stop ectopic pregnancies "to protect the life of the mother," but said he did not know how procedures to end those pregnancies worked.” Branson, you voted this ignoramus into office. Can you not do better than this ignorant representative?

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...es/6998609001/

“A Missouri lawmaker wants to stop residents from obtaining abortions outside the state by allowing lawsuits to be filed against anyone who helps them. Rep. Mary Elizabeth Coleman, an Arnold Republican, has proposed a measure that would make performing an abortion on a Missouri resident — or helping a Missouri resident get one — illegal.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy

This is what the MO legislature spends its time on, persecuting women, transgender athletes and educators who have never taught “critical race theory.”
It sounds plenty good to me. And also makes Missouri an attractive place to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
My least favorite cities are Cape Girardeau, Springfield, Joplin, and St. Joseph.
What all don't you like about St. Joseph? Just curious, and wanting to learn more about it. For me it has a Calvary Chapel church, and a Vitamin Cottage health food store. God willing, some day I may actually be able to move to a red state. But whenever I make headway saving up for a move I end up having to make more repairs on my older cargo van, lol. That's life I guess. Thanks for any input.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:47 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
What all don't you like about St. Joseph? Just curious, and wanting to learn more about it. For me it has a Calvary Chapel church, and a Vitamin Cottage health food store. God willing, some day I may actually be able to move to a red state. But whenever I make headway saving up for a move I end up having to make more repairs on my older cargo van, lol. That's life I guess. Thanks for any input.
St. Joseph is depressing beyond belief! Filled with abandoned houses, decay, and huge economic decline/poverty with drug issues everywhere. It also has far colder low temperatures in the winter compared to Kansas City.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:31 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
St. Joseph is depressing beyond belief! Filled with abandoned houses, decay, and huge economic decline/poverty with drug issues everywhere. It also has far colder low temperatures in the winter compared to Kansas City.
I am wondering, how long has it been since you actually set foot, there?

I just took a look at satellite photos of the area, and that city should have multiple revenue streams, but I don't know how current that info is, and "should" is not the same as "does."

Old 04-04-2022, 09:52 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I am wondering, how long has it been since you actually set foot, there?

I just took a look at satellite photos of the area, and that city should have multiple revenue streams, but I don't know how current that info is, and "should" is not the same as "does."
I've been there in the last five years, it is a joke of a city, and has been declining for many decades in case you aren't aware. In fact, it is definitely the most Rust Belt metro in western Missouri.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:25 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
To me, what makes Missouri 'misery' to me is, in a word...humidity.

It's what makes the summer too hot, and the cold too cold. lol

Now...I want to move back to the south REALLY bad, and I know humidity is truly an issue...but the trade-off (to me) is a milder winter, and depending on WHERE in the south (I'd prefer Louisiana) is a watery world, like the swamps, or the gulf, or the ocean. THOSE places would make the humidity worth it to me.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:19 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
I am curious why the poster doesn't like Joplin? It has been almost completely rebuilt since the tornado. The city is clean, very little crime, two nice hospitals, good schools, two colleges, many jobs, good restaurants.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well that's too bad. Thanks for filling me in on all of that. I certainly don't need depressing as I get depressed enough on my own, lol. Thought it was a good time to pump you for information since you mentioned it. (Just now realized you aren't the OP)

Will have lots of time to daydream about places as I pay off mechanical stuff on the Chevy cargo van. Just got new rear brake pads, and the tube the oil dip stick goes in broke off so got that welded back on. Now need to save for a new windshield as it looks like a roadmap with a crack from one side to the other. Darn money pit, but it's a good vehicle. Being on SS is such a cash flow issue, sigh.

Last edited by mlulu23; 04-04-2022 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 03:02 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
This is what makes Missouri “Misery.”

MO House Bill 2810 is a laundry list of ways to deny MO women their freedom and life. Banning abortion of an ectopic pregnancy?? Ectopic pregnancy - full stop - is non viable for both the fetus and mother. The hayseed moron, Rep. Seitz of Branson, who wrote the bill, “told a House committee Wednesday the bill "does nothing to curtail" legal procedures to stop ectopic pregnancies "to protect the life of the mother," but said he did not know how procedures to end those pregnancies worked.” Branson, you voted this ignoramus into office. Can you not do better than this ignorant representative?

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...es/6998609001/

“A Missouri lawmaker wants to stop residents from obtaining abortions outside the state by allowing lawsuits to be filed against anyone who helps them. Rep. Mary Elizabeth Coleman, an Arnold Republican, has proposed a measure that would make performing an abortion on a Missouri resident — or helping a Missouri resident get one — illegal.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy

This is what the MO legislature spends its time on, persecuting women, transgender athletes and educators who have never taught “critical race theory.”
This. I was actually considering moving to Missouri at one time but these laws restricting abortion, especially restricting abortion for ectopic pregnancies, make my skin crawl. I'm a live and let live person and government/conservatives/Christians that want to get into my pants and tell me how to live my life is a bit much, especially when they crow so much about keeping the government out of people's lives. Next thing you know, they'll bring back separate bathrooms for POC, making it illegal to be gay or have sex before marriage, and making it mandatory to go to church.

It's OK, Missouri. By the same token, I wouldn't want to be living in Texas, South Dakota, Oklahoma, or Idaho either. I refuse to support a police state where the police are made up of nutcase governors and their dingaling state reps.

Other than that, I think Missouri is a beautiful state.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:49 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
To me, what makes Missouri 'misery' to me is, in a word...humidity.

It's what makes the summer too hot, and the cold too cold. lol

Now...I want to move back to the south REALLY bad, and I know humidity is truly an issue...but the trade-off (to me) is a milder winter, and depending on WHERE in the south (I'd prefer Louisiana) is a watery world, like the swamps, or the gulf, or the ocean. THOSE places would make the humidity worth it to me.
Missouri winters are not bad in many areas. Especially the southern quarter of the state. The Northern half of MO is different.

Winters in Springfield and joplin are the same as Northern TN. Branson area has the same temps in the winter as Nashville when it comes to average highs basically. The Bootheel is also warm.

Overall the climate of places like Joplin, Springfield, Table Rock area, Poplar Bluff and such are mild. Not a lot of snow and it doesn't stay long. Coldest average high in Branson in Jan. is 47, coldest time in Nashville is 49.

I guess you mean the deep south though. Not the upper south like Southern Missouri or Northern Arkansas since winters still get cold snaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri