U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 11:03 PM

104 posts, read 116,431 times

Advertisements

By saying you're tired of heat I REALLY doubt you'll like 100* PLUS 90% humidity in the summer. Tornadoes can strike anywhere in the state at any time.

I don't think Missouri is what you're looking for.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 07:58 AM

7,383 posts, read 18,667,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
These people buying houses in far southern Missouri, are they mostly people from places like California retiring because of the lower taxes in Missouri and housing cost?
I'm not sure where they are all coming from although I do know a few that have moved from California to get away from it.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:35 PM

8,337 posts, read 4,312,822 times
Great first post/welcome to the site.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:49 PM

6,609 posts, read 3,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
By saying you're tired of heat I REALLY doubt you'll like 100* PLUS 90% humidity in the summer. Tornadoes can strike anywhere in the state at any time.

I don't think Missouri is what you're looking for.
Your location under your name says:
nomad domiciled in TX

You have Missouri confused with where I used to live.
Until 4 years ago, I lived in Central Texas, and the weather you are describing is for there, not here.

Now, the heat index will sometimes get over 100, but, how long has it been since MO saw a day with over 100 degrees? Quite a few years.

When the temperature is in the upper 90's, how long has it been since the relative humidity was also in the 90% range? Never. Just doesn't happen.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:52 PM

14,503 posts, read 8,481,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Your location under your name says:
nomad domiciled in TX

You have Missouri confused with where I used to live.
Until 4 years ago, I lived in Central Texas, and the weather you are describing is for there, not here.

Now, the heat index will sometimes get over 100, but, how long has it been since MO saw a day with over 100 degrees? Quite a few years.

When the temperature is in the upper 90's, how long has it been since the relative humidity was also in the 90% range? Never. Just doesn't happen.
Nope.
Days of 100 degrees and high humidity are not uncommon any summer and I recall multiple 110 days and even up to 112 in Central Missouri one year with high humidity. Squirrels were falling out of trees and birds had their beaks open panting. The winter ice storms were getting pretty bad before I left. We had less snow and more ice for several years.

Tornadoes are common but not like in Oklahoma or Kansas. I only saw one in my 65 years in Missouri but you often saw the damage left behind. The really big ones are pretty rare but there might be one somewhere every year. The Joplin tornado was big and cut a path of destruction through the town. Jefferson City had one a year or so ago that hit the historic district. They sometimes come in swarms. I was in Kansas City one week and they had warnings out and counted forty tornadoes that formed and dissipated during one night with not much damage reported. Sometimes they last only a few minutes.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:39 PM

315 posts, read 146,242 times
OP, you might look at eastern Tennessee. It's become a booming retirement area mostly because of low (lower than Missouri. I have family there) property taxes and no state income tax. Since you desire the quiet and homeschool, the only real requirement would be your husband's job, which you haven't detailed.

The climate is milder, too. Once we retired, our families tried to talk us into moving back to the Midwest from NC; either Missouri or Illinois, where we both have kin. We said "NO" primarily because of the weather (hot - Hot - DAMNED HOT and humid) and property taxes on a house. We chose to just move next door to Tennessee.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:53 PM

672 posts, read 653,043 times
It gets humid here. But not 90% humidity on a Summer day. Not even close.

More like 90% in the night, and 50% during the day.

Dew point usually hovers around 70 degrees, day or night, June through August. This is what people really mean when they reference humidity. The air is much dryer during the other nine months.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:47 AM

6,609 posts, read 3,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Nope.
Days of 100 degrees and high humidity are not uncommon any summer and I recall multiple 110 days and even up to 112 in Central Missouri one year with high humidity.
Name the month and year.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:53 AM

48 posts, read 130,599 times
I don't know about other places in Missouri but I've been in the Salem/Rolla area for around a year now.

Rolla census'd at 19,559 in 2010, Salem is ~5k people. There's a large homeschool population in both towns, a larger percentage than in Wyoming(our previous home). There are several co-ops and related things here. My kids go to a homeschool coop south of Salem and a music coop in St. James.

It's a very conservative area. Many churches, with probably 50% being SBC or related. Rolla is a university town, with Missouri S&T, so there are some events that are young adult oriented. But we haven't had any trouble avoiding them, and really like that area. Rolla may be alittle more liberal than some of the surrounding areas due to the presence of the university staff, but the effect is fairly limited. Engineering schools tend to trend conservative.

Rolla is on I-44 so you have access to quite a bit up and down the interstate. St. Louis is 1-2 hours away, with the zoo, children's museums and such. Ft. Leonard Wood is not far the other way, if you need access to military stuff. Easy access to lots of state parks and the national forest. There are a number of very nice city parks throughout, and a nice rec center/water rec area.

Rentals...are hard to find everywhere. Depends on what/how big you want. There's a pretty regular housing market, but like everywhere in the country it moves fast and is alittle raised compared to previous years. We've been searching for a house to buy for 8 months now, but we're in a rental that's hard to beat so we've been able to be very picky.

As for heat...my brother lives in Tucson. I've visited (and like I said, we previously lived in the high desert in Wyoming) and it's definitely hotter in AZ. It's different. Definitely more humid here, but my parents came out from North Carolina during one of the more hot/humid summer days this past summer...and didn't notice the humidity at all. So....I dunno, like so much else you get used to your environment abit. It's about on par with most of my experience in the South. I'm expecting very little snow, and the fall has been a nice change from where we were.

Overall, it's not perfect, but I've been pretty happy with my time in this area.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:55 AM

25,243 posts, read 43,147,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
It gets humid here. But not 90% humidity on a Summer day. Not even close.

More like 90% in the night, and 50% during the day.

Dew point usually hovers around 70 degrees, day or night, June through August. This is what people really mean when they reference humidity. The air is much dryer during the other nine months.
That depends on the year and weather pattern along with soil moisture. When soil moisture is high the dewpoint can certainly be above 75F for longer periods of time. Anywhere in an urban area is much worse in the summer due to the urban heat island. Both STL and KC have large urban heat islands where it doesn't cool off much at night at all. I consider a reasonably comfortable summer low temperature in the 50-60F range. It is one of the big reasons why I have no intention of moving back to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri