U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 AM

149 posts, read 249,988 times

Advertisements

We're retired, want a quiet life, make a few friends, non-church-goers, grew up in Missouri. Any comments on either area gratefully received.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM

938 posts, read 2,278,854 times
Out of the two, Alton is significantly more isolated than Willow Springs. Besides a grocery store or two, there isn't much shopping in Alton, and you'll have to drive to West Plains to go to be close to decent shopping. West Plains is about 30 miles west on US 160, which is really curvy, windy, 2-lane, shoulder less, and steep for pretty much the whole way. MO 19 to Thayer isn't much better. That being said, I always liked Alton. Its a really neat little town, with a real square downtown which always seemed pretty lively, lots of mom-and-pop stores (no fast food even!), and I'd consider it more attractive than Willow Springs.

The advantage to Willow Springs is that you can easily get to West Plains or Springfield on a good 4-lane highway with little traffic. This is an advantage if you like to eat out or shop fairly often (Willow has little in the way of restaurants, West Plains has quite a few, and Springfield has a great deal of both shopping and restaurants).

Both areas are scenic and quiet, and you will get a quiet, rural life. As I've said Alton is more off the beaten path, and if that appeals to you then you will like it. Great fishing for trout and bass on the Eleven Point River just north of town too, and being so far out there, its almost never crowded.

If you aren't a church-goer, making friends may be kind of hard. Church is the main social activity across the Ozarks, and most people go. Most of the friends my parents have they made through work, so if you are retired it may be difficult. I believe both towns have a Lion's Club and a Rotary Club, and I know West Plains has an Elk's Lodge, so if you move to the area and are in to that sort of thing it would be a good way to meet people.

Housing prices will be dirt cheap in either town, with Alton probably being slightly cheaper.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 7,821 times
Like OA said, it all depends on what you want. I live in Willow Springs and it is quiet most of the time. If you want to live in town or outside of the city limits is another big question. Do you have pets? If you have a dog that is outside you might want to ask the cops where a good location intown is so you won't get any complaints. I was taken to court over mine because he barked all night. I even had proof that it is impossiable and he barked at all the critters that came around. I still got fined $200, the court took the old mans side that had a hearing aid!

So there are a lot of questions about location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri