U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,550,177 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to define the culture of s/w MIssouri and, if possible, what is it? For clarification, let me describe what I mean.

It's understood and can be seen that people in different regions speak, act, and have expectations of others in certain ways that differ from other regions of the the country. I expect that each of us can picture the way people interact who are from New York City, the rural North East, Southerners, Westerners, Mid-Westerners, and likely others. Each has distinct expectations and ways of interacting, some might seem harsh, others might appear more honest, others speak politely, and some might act reserved. I will leave it to everyone to draw their own pictures.

BTW, before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I know that such drawings are made with a very broad brush and cannot apply to everyone from a certain region. However, it cannot be denied that there has traditionally been a dominant way that people carry themselves in various regions of the country. That is what I'd like to get a feeling for in s/w Missouri.

So, what about s/w Missouri . . . Is it rather Midwestern in its approach; is it more Southern; or perhaps is it some kind of a combination of two regions? Also, is there a difference in the dominant culture between the residents of Springfield and the other less dense regions south of the city?

I hope my queston has made some sense, so thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 AM

63 posts, read 196,064 times
I think that northern Missouri and southern Missouri are a lot different. I think that southwest Missouri tries to fit in more with the south. I also think that Joplin is a lot different than Springfield.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 267,838 times
Default Missouri Culture

Just my opinion and it has been influenced by alot of the folks that have moved in from other areas. My wife and her family are from the NE Boston Mass area, the comment that I have received over the years, and observation is that Missouri is at a different pace than other areas in the country, for some that is refreshing for others that is frustrating, those that have lived here for awhile usually enjoy adapting to it while we have alot of growth and bustle going on I think that Southwest Missouri typically is laid back.

I think that Southwest MO can also be described as having something now that many folks think is only what used to be. The recent ice storm is a perfect example, people have gotten together to support each other, folks pull together through disasters here and know things need to be done and do them. Neighbor helping Neighbor etc, the generosity of this area is something that is lived and I have personally witnessed in so many ways they are to numerous to list.

The other word that I can say describes the folks around here, is that they are genuine, I think folks say what they think and what they mean and not to many of us focus on what would be politically correct.

So to describe the culture, laid back, neighborly and genuine.
I am sure there are examples of opposing views but speaking generally this is what I think about the area.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:21 AM

339 posts, read 1,034,481 times
It's a blend of midwest, south and southwest (think of a blend of Georgia, Texas and Iowa). Conservative. Christian. White. Polite. Hard-working. Family Focused. Opinionated. Stubborn. Friendly. Humble.

Some of these can be negatives. I wouldn't want to live here if I was liberal politically. I don't think I'd want to live here if I were black and maintaining a sense of black culture was important to me. I wouldn't want to live here if I expected people to appreciate openly non-christian views. I wouldn't want to live here if I enjoyed conspicuous displays of wealth. I wouldn't want to live here if I didn't enjoy my neighbor coming over to chat in the yard. I wouldn't want to live here if I thought people shouldn't own guns.

I'll second what was said about the ice storm. People here are not just sitting around bitching about the government not doing enough. They are firing up the chainsaws and working to fix things for themselves. And they are helping each other.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 PM

217 posts, read 621,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
It's a blend of midwest, south and southwest (think of a blend of Georgia, Texas and Iowa). Conservative. Christian. White. Polite. Hard-working. Family Focused. Opinionated. Stubborn. Friendly. Humble.

Some of these can be negatives. I wouldn't want to live here if I was liberal politically. I don't think I'd want to live here if I were black and maintaining a sense of black culture was important to me. I wouldn't want to live here if I expected people to appreciate openly non-christian views. I wouldn't want to live here if I enjoyed conspicuous displays of wealth. I wouldn't want to live here if I didn't enjoy my neighbor coming over to chat in the yard. I wouldn't want to live here if I thought people shouldn't own guns.

I'll second what was said about the ice storm. People here are not just sitting around bitching about the government not doing enough. They are firing up the chainsaws and working to fix things for themselves. And they are helping each other.
How do you think someone who was a European immigrant fit in? My husband came here as a kid. He spent sometime in the Army, but still wants to pass his first language on to our kids. We are looking to relocate. We are not liberal, I would not call us conseratives either. We do not own guns, I could care less if someone else did. I may not let my kids play at a house with guns that are not locked safely away. We are mainline Christains. somewaht active in out church, hosting coffee hours, or ushering.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,034,481 times
My experience has been that first generation immigrants are hard-working and family oriented. I think that combination would work well here.

As for gun safety with kids, I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM

217 posts, read 621,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
My experience has been that first generation immigrants are hard-working and family oriented. I think that combination would work well here.

As for gun safety with kids, I couldn't agree more.
They realy are hard working. Not only that, happy to be here. My husbands sister joine the Army post 9/11. I have a friend here who has guns,in the home and a pool. WHen the kids go to play I go too. HEr and I will have coffee. A person can have a whole collection for all I care. Once my kids are in the home, it changes things. How many imigrants are in the area by the way?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,964 times
the farther south you get from springfield the more southern it feels. The farther north you get from springfield the more midwestern if feels. Branson and Lake of the Ozarks have two completely different feels to them.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,673,564 times
I've been intrigued by the notion of Springfield as a possible destination to move to. However, I've noticed there are certain features present in this region. There are several large fundamentalist Christian colleges, and Springfield is home to the Assemblies of God, the nations largest pentacostal church. It's also home to Bass Pro Shops, the hunting and fishing mega store. And Branson is in the area. So, it would seem to me that fundamentalist Christianity, hunting, fishing, and country music are a big deal in that part of the country. Am I right or wrong on this? As I'm not interested in any of those things, I wonder if I would fit in down there.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,550,177 times
Quote:
As I'm not interested in any of those things, I wonder if I would fit in down there.
I pulled the below number off of Sperling's website for Springfield:

Percent Religious 56.22%

The U.S average for that number in a community is about 50%, so it appears that Springfield isn't too far from the average for religious populations.

Another way to look at it is that about 44% of the population is not religious. To me that means you will find others of like mind around. I'll have to defer to others with more personal knowledge of the area for your other qualifications.

However, it seems to me that the more traditional value, God fearing, conservative population has been told for many decades that they need to be accomodating, respectful, and tolerant of populations who don't hold their values. It should work the same for people who differ from them. If you can take that same tact, you should be able to get along just fine, It's all up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri