Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times

Advertisements

You people who are so all-fired-up for more diversity in Missouri ought to be happy different people pronounce it so many different ways. You should embrace the differences and be inclusionary, shouldn't you?

I am the only one on this board who says, "Why cares?" when it comes to the state name's pronunciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM

63 posts, read 188,123 times
Default Missouri tarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
...the California Outreach Division of the Chamber of Commerce! I have been reliably informed that Missouri cottonmouths and tarantulas are ESPECIALLY fond of Californians. Please make note of this!
I have lived in rural Missouri and the St. Louis area, all my life, and I have never seen a tarantula or cotton mouth, we do have snakes but never tarantulas that I know of. I live in northeast Missouri. I don't know anyone that has ever seen a tarantula. Maybe it's too cold here in the winter for them.
Arundel

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-26-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
You people who are so all-fired-up for more diversity in Missouri ought to be happy different people pronounce it so many different ways. You should embrace the differences and be inclusionary, shouldn't you?

I am the only one on this board who says, "Why cares?" when it comes to the state name's pronunciation.
No, but you may want to consider substituting the pronoun "who" for the adverb "why," as it flows a bit better....

Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ok, after much cogitaion upon my part, and a bit of liquid inspiration, I have finally decided with some authority how the word Missouri should be pronounced.
Missouri=home.
I absolutely, completely, totally, unreservedly, unabashedly, and unapologetically agree wholeheartedly with that pronunciation! May it soon be so for you.

For me, I might have to settle (at least for now) for first runner-up: "Vacation Paradise."

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Here's an idea for a forum thread you could start: "Which is the proper way for Missourians to say California." That might have to become a sticky thread, whaddya'll think?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
No, but you may want to consider substituting the pronoun "who" for the adverb "why," as it flows a bit better....
OK, thanks for catching my typo. Hmm. Wait a minute. Let me stir the pot ...

Listen, buddy, that wasn't a typo. I am the Ozarks Boy, after all; that's the way we talk around here. You should accept that as part of my culture without any criticism. Aren't you aware of the need for diversity? Don't you accept ebonics? Yes? Then why don't you accept hillbonics? I can't call you a racist for criticizing my regional dialect, but you certainly seem to have a chip on your shoulder for people who look, speak, think, perhaps even smell, different from you. Why don't you go back to sipping your latte and pretending to be a liberal?

That was quite fun.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Here's an idea for a forum thread you could start: "Which is the proper way for Missourians to say California." That might have to become a sticky thread, whaddya'll think?
It is pronounced the way it is spelled: Califoreignia. Most of the people who come to Missouri from there are Califoreigners. They move here for one reason: cheap land. They claim they aren't rich, but their main complaint is there's nothing to do here because there aren't enough places for them to engage in "serious shopping." They are certainly oddball people, and I do what I can to keep them from moving here. However, once they move to Rolla, I am civil.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Mizzouree. Mizzourah is how the country folk say it.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Mizzouree. Mizzourah is how the country folk say it.
I lived in the country, and NO ONE said Mizzourah......

Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I lived in the country, and NO ONE said Mizzourah......
Guess it depends on what part of Missouri you are in. I've heard people say it all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri