U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM

616 posts, read 552,125 times
Gunner - you will love this report - but its a whole lot more detailed than I care to research

THE PRONOUCIATION OF MISSOURI:

When I think of this whole Missour-ee or Missour-ah topic, I can't help but wonder ....

Toni Poole

Is it Ton-ee Poole in a bikin-ee

or Ton-ah Poole in a bikin-ah

Hubby English football player John Terry calls her Ton-ee. His lawyer told me to quit calling her - period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,177,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Gunner - you will love this report - but its a whole lot more detailed than I care to research

THE PRONOUCIATION OF MISSOURI:

When I think of this whole Missour-ee or Missour-ah topic, I can't help but wonder ....

Toni Poole

Is it Ton-ee Poole in a bikin-ee

or Ton-ah Poole in a bikin-ah

Hubby English football player John Terry calls her Ton-ee. His lawyer told me to quit calling her - period.
Was there a link in that post?

Haha well in all seriousness it confirms what I thought. Typically folks in SE Missouri say it with the "i" and not the "ah". Looks like historically there was a much sharper divide across the state. Obviously the debate between "ah" and "i" has virtually nothing to do with regional dialects of either the southern or midwestern variety. My entire family has said nothing but Missouri, and most of my family on both sides hails from the south.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 AM

543 posts, read 375,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Was there a link in that post?

Haha well in all seriousness it confirms what I thought. Typically folks in SE Missouri say it with the "i" and not the "ah". Looks like historically there was a much sharper divide across the state. Obviously the debate between "ah" and "i" has virtually nothing to do with regional dialects of either the southern or midwestern variety. My entire family has said nothing but Missouri, and most of my family on both sides hails from the south.
Oh.

When you say hail from the south, do you mean they're from southern MO, or other southern states?

I can see if your family is from Cape Girardeau why your family considers themselves southern.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,177,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Oh.

When you say hail from the south, do you mean they're from southern MO, or other southern states?

I can see if your family is from Cape Girardeau why your family considers themselves southern.
I mean out of state going back a few generations....Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina for the most part.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 PM

543 posts, read 375,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I mean out of state going back a few generations....Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina for the most part.
Oh. makes sense as a lot of Missouri's settlers came from the states of VA, NC, TN, KY.

Is that true Rolla Missouri was named that because of a lot of settlers were from North Carolina hence the name similar to Raleigh? Rolla does have a bit of upland south feel to it.

I didn't know if that was true or not but I've read post on here and people said Rolla was named similar to Raleigh because if the settlers.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 17,948 times
Must say, I am thrilled to have come across this thread.

I am a California turned Texas girl...who is headed to Cape Girardeau. Please don't hate me...I have a VERY FAMILIAR last name, that will make me feel right at home! And I promise, I won't try to change anything - I love new places, and I LOVE history!!!

Dad and his Sisters say Missourah...so I have accepted that I need to start calling it that, since that is what I thought was "right". But they are "old" - or rather, wise? LOL!! Dad wants to move home, after losing my Mom last month. Being an only child, I am going with him.

So I can safely revert back to Missouree then?? OH, how happy I am! Is there a distinct SS sound, or ZZ sound, because I think I am of the ZZZZZZZ variety? Sheesh, never knew there was so much conflict regarding a state's pronunciation before! LOL!!

But then, they say Cape Giradah too (no second "r" that I can hear!)...but from someone who took French for 6 years, this is also "foreign" to me, as Girardough is more proper to me.

Anyone want to tackle the Cape G pronunciation for me? hehehe

Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 AM

585 posts, read 365,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corundogs View Post

Anyone want to tackle the Cape G pronunciation for me? hehehe
I've always heard it pronounced "Gi-rar-do." Quite a few people just call it "Cape" and leave off the "Girardeau" part.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Why thank you Flyover! Appreciate that...but can I ask for a clarification?

Is that a "Gi" as in "Gee" or "Jeh"?? and "do" as is "dew" or "dough"?

I hope that makes sense. I have already started doing the Missourah thing, just in the past month that I have learned I am moving there. So glad to change THAT back. LOL!!

I was looking at a house last night, and talking to my Aunt about it - we were both on the internet and discussing it - and we were BOTH calling it "my house". LMAO!! I am probably not moving for 6 months or more! But that's just how much I have adopted this move into my life - and it's not an "acceptance"...it's excitement!

Like I said, my last name will fit right in, with it being LaCroix! My Aunt said that my grandfather - or great grandfather?( will have to clarify!) - was helpful in getting the Jackson hospital built, I think. I am going to have to get much more history before I get there, and am very much looking forward to learning it! History is so fascinating to me, but my Mom wasn't really all that interested in it - she wanted to make her own history, and she did. But now that she is gone, family history has become much more important to me, being an only child with no children of my own (due to health issues).

Sorry for getting so personal, but I am really looking forward to this move...and getting to meet my albeit very extended family!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 AM

585 posts, read 365,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corundogs View Post
Why thank you Flyover! Appreciate that...but can I ask for a clarification?

Is that a "Gi" as in "Gee" or "Jeh"?? and "do" as is "dew" or "dough"?
"Jeh-rar-dough."

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Perfect! Thanks so much :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri