Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,513,423 times

Advertisements

boo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 PM

9 posts, read 42,902 times
go to the woodlock cemetery, in pucky huddle mo. at night and sit in the middle of the head stones that are in a circurler pattern listen and you will hear what sounds like people talking but no ones there been there twice i wont go back people say this is a witch cemetery

Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 33,361 times
Wow there is alot of scary stuff. i think i saw a ghost the other day but i dont think about it.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:47 PM

9 posts, read 42,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly dally View Post
go to the woodlock cemetery, in pucky huddle mo. at night and sit in the middle of the head stones that are in a circurler pattern listen and you will hear what sounds like people talking but no ones there been there twice i wont go back people say this is a witch cemetery

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM

272 posts, read 786,217 times
I was born and raised in St. Louis but haven't lived there in decades. I saw your post while skipping over to the North Carolina forum...

One of the most intriguing places I've ever run across in my travels is the site of the former Koch Hospital in St. Louis County on the bank of the Mississippi. The hospital was built on the site of one of the many quarantine hospitals set up along the length of the Mississippi to contain immigrants who were sick. Supposedly as many as 18,000 people are buried on the site in unmarked graves.

For more info: The Razor » Blog Archive » A Haunted Place

The site is currently fenced off by a quarry company; however some marked graves are located on the grounds of an Elks club I believe.

If any place in the state is haunted, the Koch Hospital site is.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,289 times
i was born and raised in boss and i know all about woodlock cemetery... my brother bought a new 1987 p.u in 1986 and we stopped at the cemetery and got out to see stuff and when we were going to leave and the truck would not start everything was dead... we pushed the truck passed the cemetery and everything worked ... that was very scary..,

Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,308 times
Default Spook Light and Devil's Promenade are not the same

The Spook Light and Devil's Promenade are not the same thing. Devil's Promenade is several miles from Spook Light Road and for years was a wooden bridge which was reputed to be haunted or occupied by the Devil and at night would reputedly shake and noises be heard. The bridge has been replaced with a modern bridge. Never experienced anything at the Devil's Promenade but I have seen the Spook Light several times over the past 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
In the region where Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas come together witnesses have been encountering a "spook light" phenomenon since at least 1936, but locals claim the sightings go back to 1866. The light looks like a ball of fire, or in some cases an orange ball of light, floating above a gravel road, sometimes moving at high speed. The source of the light or lights is thought to be either swamp gas, ball lightning, ghosts or even a bizarre electrostatic event caused by seismic activity deep in the earth called the piezoelectric effect.

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2]There have been many theories that have attempted to explain why this mysterious light appears here. Originally, a number of legends sprung up around the place. One of them claimed the light was connected to the spirit of two young Quapaw Indians who died in the area many years ago. Another claimed the light was the spirit of an Osage Indian chief who had been beheaded on the Devil's Promenade and the light was said to be his torch as he searched for his missing head. Another legend tells of a miner whose children were kidnapped by Indians and he set off looking for them with only a lantern to light his way. The light is said to be his lantern as continues looking for the children that he will never find.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua] [SIZE=2]Locals claim that the stories of the Hornet Light originated back in the 1800’s but most printed accounts are of a much more recent vintage. As far as is known, the first account of it appeared in the Kansas City Star in 1936 and then in the 1947 book Ozark Superstitions by Vance Randolph, the famed Missouri folklorist. Randolph was the first to put into print the oral legends of the light’s origins, from beheaded Indians to lost children. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Local lore says that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers investigated the source of the light, which they deny. Most sightings have occurred between 10:00pm and Midnight.

The light is known by many names: Joplin Spook Light, Hornet Spook Light, Devil's Promenade, just to name a few.
I live about five miles east of the Spook Light. I have seen it many time's. We chased it in the car one time and looked in the rear view mirror and, it was behind us.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,932 times
woodlock is very haunted i went there last night and it was very terrifying but it was fun i heard voices and we saw strange things that one can only describe as a paranormal experience. Wood lock is not a place to do any kind of Wicca. white or black magic.
woodlock has stairs that go all the way up and if you count the stairs going up you wont get the same number coming down i guarantee that. beware of woodlock its not the place to just hang out at and woodlock is a witches last name. it is a warlock cemetery thanks for listening to this.....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 PM

380 posts, read 963,082 times
Is that from the Prairie Ghosts web site? I used to be in the travel and tour biz and we booked several of the haunted Chicago tours - people had a blast!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMBOOKS View Post
The Spook Light and Devil's Promenade are not the same thing. Devil's Promenade is several miles from Spook Light Road and for years was a wooden bridge which was reputed to be haunted or occupied by the Devil and at night would reputedly shake and noises be heard. The bridge has been replaced with a modern bridge. Never experienced anything at the Devil's Promenade but I have seen the Spook Light several times over the past 25 years.
I have been to Spook Light road several times, pretty freaky!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri