U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,389 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering retiring shortly to Missouri. We have visited SW Missouri and are familiar with the lakes in that area. We really like Table Rock Lake and the Eagle Rock, Cassville and Shell Knob areas. We are looking for a property with some acreage near a large lake for fishing and boating, with lots of trees and milder winters than we have here in Idaho.

We have located several properties that sound interesting in the Gravois Mills area but are not familiar with Lake of the Ozarks. Can anyone tell us what the northern part of the lake is like? Is it deep or shallower and is it muddy? What are the winters like in that area compared to SW Missouri? Any information you can give us about the pros and cons of the area will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 AM

542 posts, read 1,414,190 times
You will love the area. The lake has wonderful fishing, my dad retired to the lake 20 years ago and loves it. We had spent every weekend there since the late 50's and that was all he ever talked about, retiring to the lake. Winters can be "iffy". Snow and ice, but not alot. Cold temperatures, but my dad never complains. The lake has some shallow areas, and is not muddy. The area is nice, everyone knows everyone. You would be happy there.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,789 times
I agree w/MrsMo, that area is known for fishing, the best on the lake!! It is so beautiful in that area too. It isn't full of people like in Osage Beach area. Gravois Mill is where I told my hubby that I want to retire someday too. We have a place in Rocky Mount right now and love it too. I believe the website for that area is Missouri Vacation Guide - Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri - Vacation Travel Guide
Good luck in your adventure!!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 17,728 times
Depending on what you like to do, Gravois Mills can be a great place. For fishing and some peace and quiet it is good. If you like the night life and shopping, you will have to drive a little ways for that. I have been in real estate here at the lake for 20 years and have seen many changes. Gravois Mills is still a diamond in the rough.

The weather here is not much different that southern Missouri only we don't get as many major storms here.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 AM

5 posts, read 12,964 times
Hi fisherman54, my first time to ask a question and hope I'm doing it right? In response to your Gravois Mills response. Where would you recommend my husband and I move with teens? Unhappy teens are a very very bad plan. We're living a secluded mountain life now in California, and the kids don't like it very well. My husband is a warehouse manager, so having warehousing nearby would also be good. Any help?
I've been doing my homework, and so far, Lake of the Ozarks is where we'll be relocating. A community college nearby would also be wonderful. Since you know the area, do you have any ideas? I'd really really love some help here. Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri