U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,563,554 times
Default Anyone from Cape Girardeau?

So, out of the blue comes a headhunter after my brother for a job in Cape Girardeau. Never heard of the place, whats it like? He has 2 teenagers, a dog and cat, and a wife!

Seriously, I would appreciate any feedback, schools, cost-of-living, climate, likes and dislikes, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM

5,827 posts, read 11,001,662 times
Climate is four-seasons, it gets awful hot, and you'll get some snow in winter.

My sister went to college in Cape and I go there occasionally. From what I've seen it seems like a nice enough town. There's a college and some cute streets near the riverfront.

I don't know about schools, sorry!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
I have lived near Cape Girardeau for 8 years. My family and I moved here from St. Charles, MO. My husband was offered a job at the University. I have 2 teenagers.

Cape had good and bad points: Bad points:The schools are not the greatest. The realtors will push the Jackson Schools, but they are that good either. The city politics is very small townish and their is one small shopping mall. The downtown area needs to be developed and in certain parts their is alot of crime. The good points: less traffic than a big city; gas prices cheap, close to recreational areas; very small town southern fell to city and surrounding areas if you like that, and the winter is less severe than St. Louis, get less snow.

If you have any questions just let me know!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,515 times
I have lived in Cape most of my life (around 30 years). I attended grade school, h.s, and college here. I married and moved away but have always come back to Cape. I attended parochial grade school and high school and would have to say that most of the schools here are excellent. Sure, there is some crime in the less than desirable parts of town, however, that is true anywhere you go. We have 2 major hospitals, a university, many parks, sports associations and soon a water park. For families Cape is the ideal place to live....single adults its harder socially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri