U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:40 PM

76 posts, read 347,527 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Southern Missouri in just a few months and would like to know how to keep my dogs protected from these little creatures. I am also going to get a few horses, what do you do to protect them? Please give me some words of wisdom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 04:21 PM

132 posts, read 533,587 times
We have a family second home in the western Ozarks, and chiggers and ticks can really be a pain in the warmer part of the year. They are very heavy in our area, partly because of the overpopulation of deer available to host them. I don't know how outdoorsy your dogs are, but I'd keep the grass mowed and keep them out of brush and longer grass as much as possible. Chiggers seem to lurk in taller ground cover whereas ticks can smell chemicals that mammals give off and drop from branches several feet above you to feed. If you keep your pets' hair trimmed shorter in the summer it will not only make them more comfortable but also help you check them for ticks when they come back inside.
I haven't had much luck with insect repellent. Ticks are more of a health threat because they can transmit serious illnesses like Lyme disease, which can devastate your heart or nervous system. It would not be a bad idea to read up on Lyme disease and have some idea of when there is enough of a risk that you were infected to be worth going to see a doctor. Chiggers are pretty much just very irritating, so keep some anti-itch lotion on tap after mid spring.
Good luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 PM

My dogs are spoiled and keep mostly indoors since it gets so hot here in Las Vegas. We are planning on buying a home with lots of acreage so the dogs can have room to play (I have two big German Shephards). We don't really have hardly any bugs, ticks or mosquitos here so I appreciate the information. I will be sure to find a home that I can keep the grass short and maintain any surrounding bushes or trees. Thanks for the information, it will be very helpful in the months to come.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 AM

792 posts, read 1,664,691 times
Exclamation Chiggers

Great question Cynthia!

We will also be bringing our dog, and like you, want to get some property for her to run & play on. However, like yours, she is a spoiled, inside dog.

I work in a Health Food Store, and my boss told me that 'Trace Minerals' help with 'skin parasites'. I'll have to check with her to see if it works with animals too, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Trace Minerals come in liquid form and you just add them to water or any beverage you want. They add electrolytes to your drinks so you don't become dehydrated, so they are also good if you've been ill or if you do strenuous work or exercise, along with other benefits. It's similar to the 'sports' drinks you can buy, but without the sugars, artificial colorings & flavorings, and genetically modified garbage. And cheaper in the long run.

You can get them at any health food store in your area, and depending on the brand name, they shouldn't be too costly.

So, like you, we'll have to make sure we keep the grasses down, and make Trace Minearals a part of our daily routine. It looks like water, and has little or no taste.

Hope this helps. However, if anyone has any other tips or information about Chiggers & Ticks, I'd also love to hear from you. Such as worst times of the year, signs they are present, etc.... Where we are, it isn't a problem, so I am very ill-equiped to tackle this new concern.

Best Regards To All

Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Default more on chiggers

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...d-of-chiggers/

(can't vouch 100% for this info but there are some promising tips)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Ozark scorpions

<However, if anyone has any other tips or information about Chiggers & Ticks, I'd also love to hear from you. Such as worst times of the year, signs they are present, etc.... Where we are, it isn't a problem, so I am very ill-equiped to tackle this new concern.>

At our lake of the Ozarks home, the ticks seem to start showing up on my socks in May or so and I never see them by early October. So it might correspond pretty closely to first and last frost dates for the area. i've read that they can drop and feed on you even when it is around freezing, but in five years of going down there I've never ever seen that. In the case of chiggers, I would say I mostly get plagued by them when it is actually hot (over 85-90, from June-early Sept) and only if I step into high grass or brush. In our area this includes weedy grass growing taller than 2-3 inches down the middle of the rural road, which is just gravel that is steamrolled and groomed a few times by a road service. The chiggers seem a little scarcer closer to Kansas City, perhaps because the deer population isn't as thick there, but that could just be that most places you walk on the grass are mowed there.

In other words there are several weeks when you get to enjoy spring and autumn (my favorite season in this area) without these bugs.
The trace minerals suggestion is interesting. I've also heard that eating garlic changes your body scent subtly in a way that repels a lot of insects, but the effect on your breath might not be worth it.

another critter that we have in the lake house (mostly the basement and mostly during the summer, when they crawl in to escape the heat) is the striped scorpion.

see: http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...sts/g07364.htm

However, unless you have some kind of extreme allergy to insect venom, this one isn't deadly like those in some desert areas, and if you get stung, like the web link above says, it is not much worse than a yellowjacket. To the description I would add that the area stung can go numb for a while. I usually see them at night, if I just have dim lights or the TV on then I guess it looks like moonlight to them and they come out prowling. I have never seen them crawl into my shoes, but i keep my shoes off the floor when I take them off just in case.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 AM

I had no idea that there were scorpions in Missouri, thanks for the warning. Living here in the desert you would think that I would have seen lots of them but truthfully I have only seen one in the 30 some odd years that I have lived here. I even go hiking at Red Rock, Valley of Fire and Lake Meade and have only seen trantulas, no snakes or scorpions. However, I do know that they come out early morning and late evening so I make sure that I don't see them.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 AM

10,328 posts, read 10,355,871 times
Wrapping them in plastic and keeping them in the freezer will surely do it. LOL
There are several products that you can get from your veternarian. Stuff like "Frontline".

Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM

792 posts, read 1,664,691 times
Unhappy Scorpions?!?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest456;318322 ....another critter that we have in the lake house (mostly the basement and mostly during the summer, when they crawl in to escape the heat) is the striped scorpion.

see: [url
http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/pests/g07364.htm[/url]

......I usually see them at night, if I just have dim lights or the TV on then I guess it looks like moonlight to them and they come out prowling. I have never seen them crawl into my shoes, but i keep my shoes off the floor when I take them off just in case.

Ok Midwest456, if you're trying to keep me out of MO, you are doing a bang up job. LOL I would absolutely DIE if I saw a Scorpion! The worst we see in my area now is Black Widow Spiders, and never have I seen one taking a 'leisurely stroll' across my floor. Ever!

I was worried enough about the Chiggers, 'cause we let our dog sleep with us, and I'm afraid she might bring them indoors. Now I have to worry about getting 'house guests' while I'm watching TV at night? Lord Have Mercy!

This is gonna take some thought, cuz this city girl is already gettin' the 'heebie jeebies' (sp?) LOL Do you think a good pest control service would help?????? Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go freak out!! LOL

Old 01-30-2007, 01:54 PM

I know what you mean Boof, but where there's greenery there's bugs. That's one thing that I have learned in the short time that I lived in Indiana as a kid. Lots of bugs. I live in the desert and I have yet to see a snake, have only seen one scorpion and yes there are lots of spiders here. Especially black widows, brown recluse and sun spiders. Chiggers are a nusuance and I had my run in with them when I visited a few years ago but I feel that I am at least more educated to deal with them now. I will take Versatiles advice and talk to a vet about frontline. I did get a little itchy last night reading all of the posts from the chigger website. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri