Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:50 AM

3 posts, read 20,441 times

Advertisements

Was there not a murder in the hospital parking garage, and wasn't there a cop that was killed on the southside of columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 AM

3 posts, read 20,441 times
Wasn't there a murder at a MU parking garage, and a cop that was murdered on the southside of town. Rich stuck up *******s

Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM

47 posts, read 231,988 times
Amen Comofamily!
We are a Two Mile Prarie family as well. There are wonderful neighborhoods both south and North of I-70. Just as well as people, schools and opprotunity!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,647 times
Default House Hunting Now March 8-16, 2008

We are a family of 3 (a 15 year old) and 3 pets (2 dogs, 1 cat). I am glad you have this forum; it has helped. We are looking at similar neighborhoods. We want to be in the Rock Bridge HS area because our daughter has already established a relationship with the girls' softball team. We do like the Thornbrook area, but are afraid of her driving on some of the roads to get to school or anywhere else. We are looking at the Highlands and Heritage Meadows areas, too. We are from Springfield, Illinois, but have lived in Texas for the last 13 years. Thanks for all your info. It helps!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 24,924 times
I agree with what is being said about the SW area as well. I used to live in the SW. Loved my house, but we outgrew it. I fought against moving to the NW "as it just not being as desireable" We've been here 4 years, love it. We know all our neighbors (can't say that for the SW) and we can get anywhere quick quick quick. There are some really wonderful fine upscale subdivisions in the Southwest, however, I'm not much on travel time, I would not like Cascades, Thornbrook, Mill Creek, etc for my own personal perferences, however they are very nice subdivisions.

I think the Southeast is not looked at very much. People seem to forget it is there. They have been building in the Vineyards, and Stratford Chase is directly across from Hollywood theatres, 5 min to the university and in Shepard Schools. The "Old Shepard area is very nice with a great established close knit neighborhood.

If you want more of a scoop on schools check out GreatSchools.net. You can read parents reviews of each of the schools as well.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 AM

77 posts, read 250,747 times
Default My Thoughts

I have to agree that Shepard Elementary is a fantastic school. If I had children, I would send them there in a heartbeat.

As far as the concerns for the north side of town, I think you will find that the stereotypes do not always apply. There are tons of resident physicians who live on the north side of town, as with many other young professionals looking for an inexpensive place to call home while they finish up school. It isn't as nice as the south side of town, but it also isn't the ghetto as some would have you believe. I live north of Columbia, as do most of our friends, and I can assure you that many of the people are responsible, educated citizens. With that being said, if I were to do it again, I would live in the Old SW area.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,795 times
Hi, would some one provide some information about the houses near Rock bridge memorial state park area? Is it a good place to buy a house there? Thank you.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 PM

71 posts, read 481,013 times
Default Old SW

[quote=teachcal;425748]Raestlynn,

Old SW is our most eclectic neighborhood. Most are affiliated with the university. Adult singles would feel most at home here. There is everything from apts. to million dollar homes in this area.

Be aware, many people in Columbia are very kid involved. Moms are always shuffling kids to activities. This is likely to be all over town, even in the NE area.

We do have a very nice off-leash dog park in SW Columbia. It is better than many I found in California. It has man-made lakes for dog paddling....
Dogs are very happy here.
Theresa

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM

71 posts, read 481,013 times
[quote=teachcal;386709]Hi,

I am a certified teacher who lives in SW Columbia. I have worked P-T at Grant and Ridgeway. I've subbed at several others. I live in Woodrail. Here goes:

1. RockBridge concentrates on special needs kids. They have an city-wide autistic population. Teachers are good. Some kids come from public housing which would explain lower test scores.

2. Thornbrook is prestigous. It is zoned Millcreek Elem. Excellent scores, esp. in math (overall very white school).

3. Principal at Paxton Keeley is excellent. She moved there from Fairview Elem. which had outstanding test scores during her tenure. Last year, Paxton's test scores were lower than was expected. That should be reversed . Don't let that keep you from Paxton (overall very white school).

4. Personally, I love Russell. The Principal is outstanding and has a Catholic School background. It has a more traditional approach. Very multi-ethnic/multi-cultural with mostly University kids living in an older neighborhood( which is good/not so good depending on how you look at it.) I loved subbing there. The kids were great.

If you're Catholic, you might consider CCS. Tuition is reasonable (under $3,000 per child) and most parents love it.

Private message me if you have further questions. Columbia Public Schools are all excellent. The difference in test scores is usually related to how learning is prioritized in the home.

Theresa

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDoc07 View Post
I have been reading the posts about where to live in Columbia, MO. The info is very informative, but seems to focus on schools. I understand that is important to live near a good school if you want to easily sell your house later. But, we are moving up to Columbia so that I can do my residency in pediatrics at MU. We have a 1 year old son and 3 dogs. We won't be in Columbia long enough for our son to begin school, so that's not too important to us. We really just want to know where the decent neighborhoods are located. We are also looking for a newer home (our experience in OK is that newer homes sell faster than older homes). Any info that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Courtney
My advice is to live on the north or east side of town. You can get a decent place for not a whole ton of money, and that's where the newer houses are. Avoid the middle part of town as the Ninth Ward is not the greatest place and anything anywhere close to campus is expensive and traffic isn't fun. I would strongly consider renting if you are going to be there for less than five years. Selling houses isn't easy in Columbia, even if the house is newer. Many people who can't sell their house are renting, and a medical resident is about as good of a tenant as most landlords could wish for...although you may need to ask about your dogs.

Also consider you will be working at Green Meadows down at Providence and Nifong for your clinic and then at Women's and Children's just east of 63 and 70 for your inpatient rotations. You do NOT want to have to go around campus much since the traffic adds a lot of time to your commute. Using 63 and 70 to get to work is a big time-saver; going on Providence or Stadium is not too fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri