Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 PM

20 posts, read 51,343 times
What do I like about Columbia?

I like the shopping, variety of restaurants. For the most part there are a lot of nice folks there. Unlike places like St. Louis or Kansas City, there's not an area of Columbia that I would be worried/concerned about driving through at night. I've yet to see a part of Columbia that I would be fearful to walk down the street (at night). ((I say that but I always advocate using good common sense... there may be areas like that in Columbia that i just haven't seen before)).

What do I NOT like about Columbia?

The crowds at times. The college kids can be a plus or a minus. Most of the college crowd I deal with are very good but where there's kids that are away from home for the first year or two... there's trouble brewing at times. That can be a little annoying. The crime rate is higher in Columbia than it is in a lot of the surrounding areas but I don't think it's excessively high.

I like to visit there but I wouldn't want to live there as it's too crowded for my taste.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
I've only been to Columbia twice, but I definitely know what I like most there: Shakespeare's Pizza

Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 PM

31 posts, read 114,933 times
Pluses: A lot of bang for the buck in terms of cultural events (concerts, plays, art/museums). Because of high student population that doesn't have a lot of money, good selection of low to mid-priced rental, retail and entertainment options. Eclectic mix of retail and restaurant offerings. Very good schools. Safer than an average city in the U.S.; most parts of the city are safe. Very reasonable cost of living. Diversity. Good downtown area for pedestrians. Much more interesting than most cities of the same size.

Minuses: Feels more crowded and rushed than similar cities of the same size in Missouri (or elsewhere). Large student population is a problem at times. Bad traffic on city streets during drive time (8-10 a.m., 4-5 p.m.). More property crime than most cities of this size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri