Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times

Advertisements

Missouri is a great state...probably the best one in the Midwest besides Wisconsin. I would personally take a look at St. Louis if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM

167 posts, read 451,474 times
I am biased, but I would consider the Springfield area. lots of city stuff, without all the downsides.
I prefer the country/suburbs to city, but I spend enough time in town to get a feel for it. much more friendly than the PNW. Humidity isn't bad at all, when we moved here from Nor Cal we were surprised it wasn't as bad as we thought. KC and StL are much more humid, no big river here, or the altitude is higher, I dunno. not near as many mosquitos either (vs california) Branson airport opens soon, with low fares to here, I'd come visit and see.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM

45 posts, read 116,389 times
Default To mr. Ozarksboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
You need to be close to a city. Do NOT move to outstate Missouri. You will never be happy. I am not being harsh, just realistic. Coming from Washington and with an attitude that you don't REALLY want to move to Missouri, but you're only looking for a cheaper place to live, you will never be happy outside one of the cities. I think St. Louis and Kansas City will be outside your price range. Springfield is your best bet. St. Joe and Cape will be too small for you. Cuba, as suggested by someone else, is out of the question; there's definitely nothing there for a city person who doesn't really want to be a Missourian.

Let me suggest another option: Northwest Arkansas. There are a lot of people from other states moving there, and they live in enclaves to themselves, rarely mingling with local people. If you can find some other Northwesterners, and you can find a place in your price range, that might be just the ticket.

Good luck.

First of all, please never assume that just because I'm from another state I would not be accepting of a certain area. You do not even know me. I did mention the particular price range, but I really take issue with you assuming that I do not "want to be a Missourian." I do appreciate your response, albeit frustrating.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresnoplacelikehome View Post
First of all, please never assume that just because I'm from another state I would not be accepting of a certain area. You do not even know me. I did mention the particular price range, but I really take issue with you assuming that I do not "want to be a Missourian." I do appreciate your response, albeit frustrating.
Your original post indicated that you needed to move somewhere cheaper and you had picked out Missouri as a possibility. You gave no indication that there was any other reason you wanted to come to our state. I gave you what was meant to be helpful advice, and I stand by it. I told you not to read it as harsh, but as realistic. Now, if you've decided that you really want to be a Missourian, that's even better. I hope you find a place where you can be happy. I still maintain that someone with your background and set of experiences probably needs to be in one of the cities.

Good luck again.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM

166 posts, read 489,748 times
Despite what some people may say, there is obviously nothing wrong with wanting to move somewhere because of the cost/benefit. That is why most people move, whether for higher pay or cheaper living. Having moved around alot, I've found that it's nearly impossible to know if you'll like a new area unless you've at least visited a few times first.

I moved up to Puyallup, WA (near Tacoma) a couple months ago for a short time and didn't like it much. Most people's dispositions seemed to match that of the gloomy weather. Coming from where you are, winters here shouldn't be too troublesome, but during the summers there will be some humid days that you'll likely not want to go outdoors. The only place I've lived where I prefer the (overall) weather than here was in parts of NorCal.

Although western WA is such a beautiful place, you'll find that Missouri has it's share of natural beauty also. I am partial to the Ozarks and southern MO, where you can also find plenty of nice rivers and lakes. After awhile you won't miss the ocean so much, unless maybe you spend a great deal of your time along the coast. I lived about 20 miles from the Pacific in CA, and about 60 yards from the SF Bay, and I've missed living near both but after awhile that recedes. It woulda been much easier though if I wasn't an avid fisherman. Nothing wrong with 'missing' the ocean, or anything else anyway, so long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to enjoy a new area.

The Springfield area would probably suit you needs, as well as some of the towns or suburbs outside KC and StL. You'll find rents within your price range, and many of the amenities that can be found in most decent-size places.

Best wishes if you decide to move here!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresnoplacelikehome View Post
I really have no idea what city to choose in Missouri and am not sure if I can even get up the nerve to move there, I only know the Northwest situation with the way the rentals are here, just is not working for me and would like to think about finding a new home.

I am worried about the extreme humidity, but I think I may be able to handle it. Was relocating extremely stressful for you. Did you ever get the feeling it was the wrong decision?

Do people in Missouri really want outsiders? I would not describe the Northwest as overly friendly. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
If anything you will get more accustom to the humidity, not that you will ever enjoy it. It is tolerable. Have I ever regretted moving? No. Even with my recent job loss and lack of employment in my area of expertise. However, I am making more now waitressing than I did on my 7-5/5 as a asst. manager in the medical field if that tells you anything (and it still isn't real busy as of now).

Well, I apologize that this is so late. I lost the blog to come back and just ran into it again. I was really wondering if you had made the move or if you were still considering.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,073 times
Well, Cape Girardeau seems like a good place, I live a few miles south in E.P. (East Prairie) and, cape, In certain places, is good, it is about 38,000, but, it is mainly a college town, so, It isn't too big, but, it feels big

Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 AM
WD.

2 posts, read 4,375 times
Hi all !

I too am thinking of moving to Missouri, south central area, Mark Twain National Forrest area-(area of eleven point river ) I am looking to get advice or pen pal with anyone to learn the real deal about the area. Would appreciate any advice/ info..........also--- calvon59 AT yahoo.com

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-03-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 AM

177 posts, read 582,458 times
I rent a nice older sturdy safe brick home in a decent neigborhood for $385 here in MO, but I live in a smaller town Moberly .... about 30 north of columbia. Check out Craigslist for ideas on rental prices.

PS- Columbia has won lots of awards (I'm pretty sure) for like one of the top places to live in the USA. You might look more into it and it's kindof central so you can explore both ways if you want.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-12-2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 AM

587 posts, read 409,641 times
Smile But, Grandma had a cellar!

I remember the storms as a kid. How do you all deal with those? We were supposed to come back for a visit the very week of the 'inland hurricane'. We had to cancel our plans, but still want to make a trip. But do you ever get used to them? We also live in the NW, and I think it's time for a change. Missouri is beautiful, and has from my experience growing up, some of the warmest people around. I miss the fireflies, or lightning bugs, as my folks called them. I miss four distinct seasons. A little concerned about the snow. It'll be a change from the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri