U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM

9,577 posts, read 4,684,631 times
Hey Curm
You knock that off now, Leave them Berzerkley freaks right where they is at...

Although in Mo there might just be a season for Long Haired Freaky People
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM

18,953 posts, read 15,704,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hey Curm
You knock that off now, Leave them Berzerkley freaks right where they is at...

Although in Mo there might just be a season for Long Haired Freaky People
I was kinda hopin' for an open season! Bag 'em n tag 'em!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM

24 posts, read 38,214 times
Default Alaskans are coming too!

Okay, why is it Missourians don't want newbies coming in and whats with all the hostility towards Californians? I just bought a house in Marceline, Plan to retire there, hoping to be welcomed.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Status: "Lake time is deducted from your age...;)" (set 27 days ago)

1,801 posts, read 3,422,373 times
Talking Show thyself friendly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncheri View Post
Okay, why is it Missourians don't want newbies coming in and whats with all the hostility towards Californians? I just bought a house in Marceline, Plan to retire there, hoping to be welcomed.
Don't worry moncheri...and don't take all this TOO seriously! I moved here from CA 15 years ago and for the most part I've been accepted like a family member. Although, some family members...

You will find pockets in any state that don't want change...don't want newcomers...are threatened by the "new"...

You will get what you put forth...I almost said put out...but didn't want to be misunderstood.

Move to Marceline! Be friendly and you'll find friends!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,509,397 times
Modcut- play nice.
Here's how it works: Californians sell their high-priced houses and come to Missouri astounded that they can buy so much land and so much house for so little money. Consequently, they pay more than the place is worth. That helps raise the value for all the surrounding properties.

Modcut-Personal attack
For the people who live around the Californians who have paid high-dollar for the property, it means higher taxes following reassessment.

So Californians and other imports help raise the price of property and they help raise taxes--simply by showing up.with their checkbooks.

But we have to love them and welcome them.

And when they start complaining that there's no Starbucks, no dog parks and no mall, we have to try to accommodate them. Otherwise, they say we are unfriendly, backwards and resistant to change.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-19-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 PM

9,577 posts, read 4,684,631 times
Qzark

Good to see you back Bud, been wondering about you,
thought you might have went and gotten yourself suspended or something.
I been trying to keep the door shut in your absence.....

Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,645,434 times
Declining population means dying malls, out of data streetscapes, cops setting speed traps, and inbred politics.

Still, you don't need to welcome every nitwit from CA/AZ/FL.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,509,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Declining population means dying malls, out of data streetscapes, cops setting speed traps, and inbred politics.

Still, you don't need to welcome every nitwit from CA/AZ/FL.

Missouri's population isn't declining; it's just not growing as rapidly as other states.

We're still filling up, though, and isn't it wonderful? Growth is always good, isn't it. As I drive along Interstate 44, I see more hills being deforested for houses. We have too many trees around here anyway, right? And down in Branson they've been known to level hills. Well, the Ozarks region has too many hills anyway, right? Population growth is helping solve these problems.

The best thing, though, is growth in the price of property and tax assessments. If we keep this up, we'll grow into something like they have out in California. That's got to be good for us, because we're oh, so, backwards and resistant to change, especially here in outstate Missouri.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,720,593 times
It's a two edged sword, I am happy to see a few new folks in my little home town (3,950 pop.). It's a diamond in the rough that with a little TLC could boom and the town really needs those new tax dollars

Then I realized what that means! More People and higher taxes!!! Egads!

Here's the rub, since the locals don't provide that much in tax revenue the county is very poor. Why is that an issue? Here's one, the local HS has a bond up for vote, if it doesn't pass they can't repair the roof and replace the heater. Turns out my old HS has no heat at all and had to shut down during this cold snap. Due to neglect the roof is so bad it will take $1 million to repair it.

So, send us a few, but just the most conservative with a great investment portfolio. It would help if they like to ride 4 wheelers, hunt and fish.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Status: "Lake time is deducted from your age...;)" (set 27 days ago)

1,801 posts, read 3,422,373 times
Angry Whaaaaaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Californians are great for some Missourians, especially for people like Lake Junkie, who is a realtor.

Here's how it works: Californians sell their high-priced houses and come to Missouri astounded that they can buy so much land and so much house for so little money. Consequently, they pay more than the place is worth. That helps raise the value for all the surrounding properties.

For Lake Junkie, that means more commissions.

For the people who live around the Californians who have paid high-dollar for the property, it means higher taxes following reassessment.

So Californians and other imports help raise the price of property and they help raise taxes--simply by showing up.with their checkbooks.

But we have to love them and welcome them.

And when they start complaining that there's no Starbucks, no dog parks and no mall, we have to try to accommodate them. Otherwise, they say we are unfriendly, backwards and resistant to change.
Lots of misconceptions here.

First, you're assuming that since I am a realtor, I am happy to mis-lead people and only looking out for myself. I'm sorry if some realtors are like that, but that's a broad brush you're painting with, my friend!

I love working with fellow Californians and always encourage them to be smart about prices...we were schnooked by a fsbo when we first moved here and I'm dedicated to helping my client/friends buy smart. Many times I've encouraged my buyers not to be so out-front with being a California transplant, so they don't endanger their negotiating power!

Secondly, I work with our realtor lobby organization to help keep YOUR taxes low...you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and how the NAR has worked, with it's neck on the line many times, to block further legislation that will take away your homeowner deductions & raise real estate taxes, among other things! Missouri (except for the counties surrounding St. Louis & Kansas City) has been able to keep taxes relatively low compared to many states! That is largely a function of your local realtor organizations working with state government. And in the rural counties, neighboring properties are NOT automatically reassessed at a higher rate just because someone (wherever they are from) pays over market value. It's a function of not reporting the sales prices to the local assessor's office, thanks again to the realtor lobby.

You're also assuming that everyone from Ca is cut from the same cloth...many of my fellow CA natives are salt-of-the-earth hard working people who don't have a "high dollar" house to sell...not to mention the fact that to date many of them are horribly upside down in their homes because of the housing roller coaster and CAN'T sell out there! I know a number of sweet families who wanted a slower pace to raise their children and are struggling to buy here while they rent out the old overpriced ranch in the 'burbs back home. Many fish, hunt, love 4 wheeling & camping & could care less about Starbucks!!!

And newcomers can't hardly complain there's no Starbucks, now can they?

Parts of MO are looking like every other place in the nation thanks to the big chains gobbling up the mom & pops...answer me this...do you shop at Wal Mart?

I'm feeling very insulted, both as a California native and a gone-native Missouri REALTOR.

Sorry. Rant over.

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 01-17-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Feeling misunderstood. :(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri