U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,647 times
i was born & raised in MO! not famous, just thought i'd let ya know LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM

8,495 posts, read 6,980,190 times
They forgot one. Ed Asner was born in KC, Missouri.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 6,980,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I notice that Missouri tends to claim a lot of folks that weren't actually born in the state - Daniel Boone jumped out at me. What's up with that? I don't see how they make the list if not born in MO.

Boone was born in Pennsylvania but lived in MO. He wasn't "from" MO
Someone could be born in Pennsylvania and lived their whole life elsewhere. I wouldn't think that would make them "from" Pennsylvania, only born there.

He lived for at least 20 years in Missouri and he died in Missouri. His son, Daniel Morgan Boone, liked Missouri, and Daniel Boone followed his son to Missouri. He died at his son's home in Missouri. What is now Kelly's Westport Inn in Kansas City is one of the oldest buildings in Kansas City and Albert Gallatin Boone, one of Daniel Boone's grandsons, once operated a general store in that building.

Kelly's Westport Inn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Kellys_Westport_Inn_Kansas_City_MO.jpg/250px-Kellys_Westport_Inn_Kan (broken link)

Last edited by luzianne; 03-17-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Kellys_Westport_Inn_Kansas_City_MO.jpg/250px-Kellys_Westport_Inn_Kan

Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 PM

316 posts, read 439,296 times
I wasn't born in Missouri, but I consider myself "from" Missouri - it's where my heart truly is. So it's valid to claim someone like Daniel Boone.

Glad to see they got Robert Heinlein in there - many lists of Missourians omit him. Several of his stories/books are also set in Missouri.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,513,903 times
U.S. Grant was from Ohio, not Missouri. I guess they list any famous person who has ever lived in Missouri.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM

41 posts, read 112,098 times
Default The title of the page is "Famous People Born in Missouri or Living in Missouri"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
U.S. Grant was from Ohio, not Missouri. I guess they list any famous person who has ever lived in Missouri.
The title of the page is "Famous People Born in Missouri or Living in Missouri"

Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreen View Post
The title of the page is "Famous People Born in Missouri or Living in Missouri"
Ok well he wasn't born in Missouri and he certainly isn't currently living in Missouri, so why is he on the list?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM

3,021 posts, read 2,776,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Ok well he wasn't born in Missouri and he certainly isn't currently living in Missouri, so why is he on the list?

So you was never at Grant's farm? or Grant's Village?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,238,484 times
Francis Blair, Elijah Lovejoy, Harry Truman, George Washington Carver, Langston Hughes, John Goodman, Mark Twain, Jesse James, (Tina Turner is not originally from Missouri), Chuck Berry, Stan Musial, Brad Pitt, John Hartford, Emmy Lou Harris, Larry Hughes, Rodger Riney, the list goes on...

Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
So you was never at Grant's farm? or Grant's Village?
I know he lived here one time for a short period but this thread is for people from or currently living in Missouri. Seeing that US Grant is from Ohio and his body is in New York, I'd say he doesn't qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri