Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times

Advertisements

There are four cities that are widely considered be the jazz capitals of America, each playing an important role in the development of the music:

New Orleans
New York City
Chicago
and Kansas City

Ken Burn's Jazz documentary has a whole section on KC jazz:
PBS - JAZZ A Film By Ken Burns: Places Spaces & Changing Faces - Kansas City

KC's history in jazz in undeniable.
I'm not putting down STL. I think all this bickering is ridiculous. Both cities have many great things, including music history.

On a side note, I was surprised when I recently found out that John Kander of Kander and Ebb (songwriters of numerous musicals including Cabaret and Chicago) is from KC. I hadn't heard that before.

Oh, and the last American Idol was from KC, so obviously we reign supreme in music over all cities in the US

Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
i said i was joking =(
ok, all is forgiven, I didnt notice the joke thing down in the bottom left hand part of the screen.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Oh, and the last American Idol was from KC, so obviously we reign supreme in music over all cities in the US
Hard to argue with Tina Turner and Chuck Berry for St. Louis, though.
And Nelly in recent years.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I guess you didn't get the point of my post.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

Nelly?

Anyway, even though both towns have made considerable contributions to the world of music over the years, but neither town comes to mind much when I think of the modern music scene, though jazz was one of the precursors to rock and roll.
Before I moved to Missouri, I had heard quite a bit about Kansas City jazz, but hardly knew anything of St. Louis. Reminds me of that St. Louis-style pizza I've only recently heard about on these forums. Never knew there was such a thing. Still not sure what it is.

Funny thing about Kansas City jazz: modern KC does not even have a jazz station. The so-called 18 & Vine jazz district is half empty. The most popular music right now is teeny-bopper, redneck classic rock, and country. That's all I can find on the ol' dial, anyway. The only classical station is on A.M. Alternative rock stations struggle to exist.
My, how we have strayed far from our musical roots.

The rivalry between the two towns is normal, but the differences that gets harped on the most seem silly. Go outside of the region, and most people don't see as big a difference as we see.
In the grand scheme of things, they're about the same size, with about the same type of things to see and do. Anyone who thinks the arch puts St. Louis way out ahead in that category really needs to get out more.

Speaking of music, I'm from the Mississippi Delta region. There was a place close by called Memphis. Home of the blues, birth place of rock and roll. Some guy named Johnny Cash was from a little town in between. Elvis, Jerry Lee.. only Motown compares.
Talking about musical influence, it doesn't get much bigger than that part of the country.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post

Funny thing about Kansas City jazz: modern KC does not even have a jazz station. The so-called 18 & Vine jazz district is half empty. The most popular music right now is teeny-bopper, redneck classic rock, and country. That's all I can find on the ol' dial, anyway. The only classical station is on A.M. Alternative rock stations struggle to exist.
My, how we have strayed far from our musical roots.

That is not particularly unique to Kansas City...most radio stations now are corporate-owned and play the same junk over and over again every day so you'll head to the nearest Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buy the CD. A good, independent radio station for any genera is hard to find these days just about everywhere in the county. Even in Austin - a city with a great music scene to this day, the local NPR station and one independent station with a very small broadcasting range are the only to play decent, independent, and not widely-heard music very often (some stations have a block of an hour or two a week where they'll play local and/or up-and-coming artists, but that is it).

I rarely listen to the radio these days besides NPR, and even then I get tired of hearing "economy-this, stimulus package-that" after awhile and just turn it off.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:59 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
That is not particularly unique to Kansas City...most radio stations now are corporate-owned and play the same junk over and over again every day so you'll head to the nearest Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buy the CD. A good, independent radio station for any genera is hard to find these days just about everywhere in the county. Even in Austin - a city with a great music scene to this day, the local NPR station and one independent station with a very small broadcasting range are the only to play decent, independent, and not widely-heard music very often (some stations have a block of an hour or two a week where they'll play local and/or up-and-coming artists, but that is it).

I rarely listen to the radio these days besides NPR, and even then I get tired of hearing "economy-this, stimulus package-that" after awhile and just turn it off.
Forgot about the corporate influence. There's an NPR station a little ways out in Warrensburg that plays some good stuff. I had XM for a while, but even that was too dull too often.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Forgot about the corporate influence. There's an NPR station a little ways out in Warrensburg that plays some good stuff. I had XM for a while, but even that was too dull too often.
I agree, XM isn't that much better then free radio. I enjoy it in rental cars, but won't pay for it on my own...even their stations tend to repeat the same songs every few hours. The playlist on my iPod keeps me happy most of the time....lots of off-beat rock and alt-country, along with some popular stuff...I just have a hard time finding new music I really like.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I guess you didn't get the point of my post.
ummmmm, I think she did!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Northbound74, please dont think I am calling you out, but Memphis is NOT the home of the blues, that would be New Orleans. The genre actually started in the whorehouses of Storyville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri